Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

replacing upper ball joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing upper ball joint

I need to replace my front upper ball joint. For some reason it seems there are more suppliers for the whole control arm assembly or camber upgrade kits. Beck-Arnley makes a lone, non-upgrade, balljoint though, part #101-4786.

Actually, autozone.com says it fits but SpeedyCarParts.com says it doesn't. Hmm.

Is getting it out of the control arm likely to be a hassle? Will this $23 part be any good? (I do sometimes drive on rough roads.)

The upper ball joint is part of the upper control arm. When the balljoint is replaced without replacing the control arm it becomes weaker some times. Honda only sells upper balljoints as a whole control arm

Replacing the upper control arm is easy.

Unbolt the 2 bolts in the engine bay
    Unbolt the upper balljoint

Remove

As for the quality of the part im unsure but:

You get what you pay for

Comment

Honestly, I would buy new arms with ball joints directly from Honda. You don't want to mess around with these parts. If they fail (due to inferior parts, or improper installation), you crash...

Comment

I'm not saying you have to but I brought the complete arm from autozone and had it for years without any problem.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

Definitely want to replace the whole arm. I've seen ball joints break in person. It's no bueno. Lots of damage even if you don't crash

'92 Accord DX

Comment

Originally posted by CiNCitYCB7 View Post
            Definitely want to replace the whole arm. I've seen ball joints break in person. It's no bueno. Lots of damage even if you don't crash
            x2
            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Thanks all! I think I'm going with the $40 Dorman part… they're at least somewhat American so the quality can't be too deadly, right…
              Last edited by Potatoswatter; 04-04-2010, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Ya go to your honda a dealer....a new ball joint is way better, comapare to a used one...you never know how long the used ball joint was used
                VS

Mercyboy: I rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

MERCYBOY THREAD:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158241
                1990 RHD Honda accord si CB3 Canada http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196287
                MY CB7 ON YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJID_IxwiNY

Comment

I agree with the rest of the guys. Buy the whole arm and call it a day. I had VW brake a ball joint and almost totalled my car because of it.

Comment

Thanks all! I ordered it off Amazon a week ago with free shipping and got it today.

Quality seems OK. The Dorman is a pound or two heavier than the OEM part. It appears to implement the spring mechanism in the balljoint rather than the hinge. So getting the balljoint into the knuckle meant jacking the lower control arm waaaay up, so the car even lifted off the initial jacking point. Otherwise, is there a difference?

Also, the main mounting nuts were a less common size. Honda uses 17mm while Dorman uses 18.

Tippey764 was right and the Haynes manual was WRONG. Unbolt the arm from the engine bay, not the upper wheel well.

That's all folks!

Comment

hey bro did you had to do any type of alignment to the car?
                      im going to do this cause both my upper and lower C.A. are crap.

JENNA 91 LX

RIP 12-11-09 - 12/06/10
                      JANE 99 Infiniti i30
                      2-9-11 - current
                      "Life is simple, you make choices and you don't look back."

Comment

our upper ball joints are actually pressed in and have a c-clip holding them in via groove on the ball joint.

I bought "aftermarket" upper control arms from a very reputable seller...the groove for the clip did not appear to be deep enough, I hit a "routine" pot hole and the clip got pushed out. If you don't hit any pot holes they will work for you.

If you get aftermarket arms they have new bushings and this same pressed in and held in via clip style. My ones that were on the car from the factory took abuse for 15 years and never popped out...these aftermarket ones lasted 15 minutes on my road...which is why I don't like this type of ball joint.

FYI The lower ball joints also have a clip, but the new joints from honda no longer have a clip as they are pressed in and don't need the clip. At least get the LOWER joints from honda please...if the upper fails you are LESS likely to wreck...I've had mine fail...not safe if they fail...but if the lower fails you WILL wreck. and OEM from majestic are like $15 a piece...that's cheap.

I opted for spc ball joints because they BOLT in and I haven't had any issues with them...aside from some slight installation trouble...but that was only on one. On the plus side...IF i ever get around to getting aftermarket suspension I'm already good to go for neg camber...but mainly they are fucking kick ass ball joints.
                        Last edited by bcjammerx; 04-13-2010, 11:24 AM.
                        ____

Comment

Originally posted by sow3r View Post
                          hey bro did you had to do any type of alignment to the car?
                          im going to do this cause both my upper and lower C.A. are crap.
                          I didn't get an alignment. Like OEM this has no camber adjustment. Car doesn't pull.

An alignment is useless if you have mechanical problems. If you got now CA's and now you're out of alignment because they're the wrong shape, you're throwing good money after bad. Get rid of 'em!

Comment

Working...
                          X