Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

low budget turbo build, FMIC or cam suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low budget turbo build, FMIC or cam suggestions?

So stoked on my turbo build coming up this summer, here we go.

90 accord f22a1
    DSM tdo5h manifold
    14b no shaft play, will be rebuilt.
    450cc dsm injectors to be flow tested etc.
    polished H23a1 i.m. will be portmatched + Bisi heatsheild+ blox 68mm t.b.+ double stack i.m. spacers from blaktrax
    headwork+ springs, retainers, valve guides
    Mild turbo cam from delta (right?)
    Skunk2 adj. cam gear
    Getting sweet deal on ecu + tuning

Cool part is my buddies sister's talon is eating clutches and she wants to swap it to n/a.. Her loss is my gain. I get the turbo, manifold, injectors, afr, boost guage, b.o.v., turbo timer, and whatever else we need for $250. I already have Blox 68mm t.b. h23a1 i.m., blaktrax spacers, Bisi heatsheild, springs, retainers, head rebuild kit, and valve guides. Getting ecu+ tuning for $420 from a trusted local guy. Maybe $60 for a 14b rebuild kit. $120 or so for cam. We figure maybe $120 for charge piping, couplers, clamps. $100 to have injectors all spiffed up. Good friend of mine doing headwork and intake mani for $300. Delta cam about $120.

That's everything I need to have a pretty descent turbo setup for under $1400.. Except for a FMIC.. Any suggestions on a good match for this setup? I know it's lo budget, but I also know a fmic is an important component that I maybe should't be cheddarskimping. Thanks all. Let me know if I left anything out.

Oh yeah we're chopping up my ebay header to mate to dsm mani as downpipe. Also I have "hi flo" cat and 2.5 inch monza cat back exh.

Stopping power I have done the rear disc conv., with drilled slotted brembo rotors all around.. apex steel braided lines front and rear.. and premium ceramic pads up in those biznitches. It stops fast. Plus I will be putting on fresh rubber when build is done. Think that about covers it.

So any FMIC or cam suggestions?

OOhhh.. Plus I will need to upgrade my clutch disc to a real good one was thinking centerforce. I am excited to see what kind of numbers she'll put down, should be plenty of pow.

Comment

See if u can find an old mitsubishi starion intercoooler they make lovely fmics for hondas
      As for the cam get a bisi turbo cam or even the custom turbo cam from f22parts.com
      Team FTW
      Flat Blak cb7
      Summer 2010

Comment

I should also include that we are going to utilize my existing CAI to account for some of the piping that will be used.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7slug View Post
          I should also include that we are going to utilize my existing CAI to account for some of the piping that will be used.
          Make sure u weld ur pipes... clamps suckkkkk
          Team FTW
          Flat Blak cb7
          Summer 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cb7slug View Post
            great idea....welding pipes is a pain

view my ride: My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by flatblakftw View Post
              See if u can find an old mitsubishi starion intercoooler they make lovely fmics for hondas
              As for the cam get a bisi turbo cam or even the custom turbo cam from f22parts.com
              I will look into that as an option, thanks.

I am also wondering if any of the elders would have a suggestion for a safe psi to run this setup on. My engine will have about 100,000 miles on it around the time of the build, and it's running really well. I know our blocks are pretty stout and my valvetrain should be bullet proof.

Comment

Oh yeah forgot to include I have new valves too.

Comment

Okay so I have also read the 14b is too small for our engines. So I could either buy a cheapie 16g for 250 or.. Buy the t3 cast iron mani, then maybe a t3/t4 hybrid.. I've seen t3 compressors for like 140 shipped on ebay, but are they also too small for our engines.

So tdo5h mani (Which I have access to) + big 16g=$250, or cast iron t3 mani $100 + ? = $?
                  Last edited by cb7slug; 03-27-2010, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Oh snap!

Ok so the reality is that I won't be able afford good brand name turbo due to lack of funds (I was finally accepted into the school program I have been trying to get into).

Don't be mad, lol.

The 14b is my best option at this point. That being said.. I will most definitely need an extra chunky chunky FMIC to beat the heat. I'll let you guys know what I come up with in due time.

Comment

The 14b will nuke your engine, which will be far more costly than a proper turbo. Get a big 16g. It's your most cost effective option. Nobody is going to be mad at you... we just won't be very sympathetic when you start blowing blue smoke.

The Starion FMIC is a good choice. They're cheap and easy to come by, and they work well enough. One from a Fuso will also work.

If you want to save money, don't bother getting a cam or cam gear. The stock cam works just fine for a budget turbo build. A cam is not at all necessary.

Comment

there are t3's out there plenty big enough for your budget build... find some compressor maps and start finding what is best... i think a 50trim would have a great powerband on that motor and plenty topend

Comment

Not to be disrespectful, but in my opinion the 14B is not a bad option. It will make 180-250hp (depending on psi and supporting mods) and the response at lower rpm is awesome too.

It is perfectly suitable for a street car that will see ocassional full throttle runs. But unfortunately the intake air temp will be hot with it. That is why a FMIC, large diameter IC piping, and extra safe air/fuel mixture is recommended.

I agree 100&#37; on skipping the cam/camgear. A refreshed stock F22 head with the stock cam will do just fine for a street turbo build. A member on here made 475hp on the stock head if I am not mistaken.

And about a FMIC.... There are brand new quality FMICs for $50-100. I'm not going to say where, it is the place that everybody has mixed opinions on lol

Comment

For someone that doesn't know what he's doing, and looking to be cheap about it, I'd prefer to recommend a larger turbo. If he knows what he's doing, understands the risks, and takes the proper precautions to run a small turbo... then he can make that call. If he's going to be lazy and not think for himself, I'll do my best not to let him err on the side of danger.

The 14b was made for a 2.0L engine... and they are so readily available because they were relatively small for those engines as well!

Comment

I definitely can't afford to nuke my engine, only thing I can afford to nuke is top ramen. haha

And yeah I don't know much about turbo, yet

Thanks Deevs for shedding light on this. Of all the opinions out there, I value yours most.

Definitely going 16g(big) I'll keep yall posted, thanks

Doing h23 trans swap in class this week, with a new shiny spec stg 2 clutch. Strange how I'm the only one with a honda manual trans, in a honda class. Lucky guy I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X