Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How much does it cost to rebuilt a transmission? Need help quick.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much does it cost to rebuilt a transmission? Need help quick.

Hi guys,
    My Transmission went bad today.
    I accelerate and the car hardly moves.
    Somebody is asking me $1100 to rebuild it and only 6 months warranty or $1300 for 1 year warranty.

Is that a fair price?

I have to find a better price or at least see if that is a fair price as soon as possible.

I do not think is a good idea to buy a used one from the junkyard because will be like 20 years old and maybe worst than mine and may cost me $500 plus maybe $300 for labor and if goes bad will have to pay for labor again to replace it.

I will call a couple places tomorrow to check prices.

Honda doesn't even sell them new or rebuilt anymore an they send the cars to another shop to rebuild the transmission.

Comment

were you located? I can get a JDM trans for $195 plus 200 more for shipping

Links to my rides :
      1992 Accord EX*
      1990 Accord EX
      1991 Accord SE (4th)
      1991 Accord SE (3rd)
      1991 Accord SE (2ND)
      1991 Accord SE

Comment

Yonkers, so can pick it up in case is in good shape and decide to buy it.

I am looking at some on Ebay but shipping charges are crazy and only come with 30 day warranty...

I have a 92 EX automatic 4 doors made in US 4.

What is the difference between JDM and US transmission? and do I need to modify anything to make it fit/work?

Do you get them used from a junkyard and do they come with any warranty?

How much is fair for a mechanic to charge to just replace it in case I buy a used one?

I am planning to keep my car for long time because is still in good shape, I painted it few years ago and can not afford to buy another one soon, so have to decide if rebuild it or buy a used one.

Comment

try calling around the Hunts Point J/Y's and let us know
          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JSMexUsa View Post
            Yonkers, so can pick it up in case is in good shape and decide to buy it.

I am looking at some on Ebay but shipping charges are crazy and only come with 30 day warranty...

I have a 92 EX automatic 4 doors made in US 4.

What is the difference between JDM and US transmission? and do I need to modify anything to make it fit/work?

Do you get them used from a junkyard and do they come with any warranty?

How much is fair for a mechanic to charge to just replace it in case I buy a used one?

I am planning to keep my car for long time because is still in good shape, I painted it few years ago and can not afford to buy another one soon, so have to decide if rebuild it or buy a used one.
            Were i get it is from NJ and I picked it up my self. they only sell JDM engines, trans , and front clips. if you have another car to pick it up (Fit in my trunk CB)

it comes with a 30 day warranty and no mods needed. (I have a 92 EX as well )can get the trans installed for $250 (Shea stadium) so it comes out to like $500 installed

Links to my rides :
            1992 Accord EX*
            1990 Accord EX
            1991 Accord SE (4th)
            1991 Accord SE (3rd)
            1991 Accord SE (2ND)
            1991 Accord SE

Comment

I payed 1500-1690 for my transmission to be "FULLY" rebuilt. There was a crack in the housing and the fluid leaked out and everything went KA-BOOM! I got a 1 year warranty on my rebuild as long as I didn't remove it from the car. Needles to say, when your motor blows up (boost) you have to remove it from the car. It's worth it though.
              Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

I called like 20 rebuilt shops today, most of them charge $1500 and up and they will only replace what is needed not the whole pieces as they should and only 6 months warranty.

Aamco said they will probably charge me the base of $1500 and maybe a little more if need more pieces, etc... with 12 months or 12000 miles warranty but I checked the hundreds of complaints on the internet and I do not think will go with them.

Another shop recommended by the Honda dealer is asking $2100 + tax and they said will replace all parts and 24 months or 24000 miles warranty which is great but can not afford that much; if the car was newer then it will worth it.

I got a couple more shops to call tomorrow and trying to get it for around $1000 with at least 12 months/12000 miles warranty in writing which will be hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondateck2010 View Post
                  Were i get it is from NJ and I picked it up my self. they only sell JDM engines, trans , and front clips. if you have another car to pick it up (Fit in my trunk CB)

it comes with a 30 day warranty and no mods needed. (I have a 92 EX as well )can get the trans installed for $250 (Shea stadium) so it comes out to like $500 installed
                  That's a great price; I wish I knew how to install it myself in case goes bad within the 30 days warranty I do not have to pay another $250-$350 to a mechanic to replace it 1,2 or 3 times if I have bad luck with used transmissions and because I plan to keep the car many years is better to rebuild it.

In case I can't afford to rebuild it then may ask you the info for that place and pick it up with my wife's CRV, probably my mechanic will charge me around $300.

By the way, what is the difference of the JDM versus US if any?

Comment

I can tell you this much. If you have a n automatic it's going to cost 200-300 more to rebuild because there is more to an auto the manual tranny.

What kind of tranny do you have auto or manual

places in my are cost about 600 to rebuild a M/T for an auto its about 900+
                    NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
                    DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Originally posted by JSMexUsa View Post
                      That's a great price; I wish I knew how to install it myself in case goes bad within the 30 days warranty I do not have to pay another $250-$350 to a mechanic to replace it 1,2 or 3 times if I have bad luck with used transmissions and because I plan to keep the car many years is better to rebuild it.

In case I can't afford to rebuild it then may ask you the info for that place and pick it up with my wife's CRV, probably my mechanic will charge me around $300.

By the way, what is the difference of the JDM versus US if any?
                      No diffrence from USDM or JDM trans. I would not rebuilt it IMO. did it before and 3 moths later dead. got 4 USED trans (Ihave had many CB's) and only had one issue with one (slipped a little).

I say get the JDM trans they have anywere from 30k - 60 k on them compared to 100k and up from here in the states and plus they don't drive as hard in the JDM world.

if you need the info let me know

Links to my rides :
                      1992 Accord EX*
                      1990 Accord EX
                      1991 Accord SE (4th)
                      1991 Accord SE (3rd)
                      1991 Accord SE (2ND)
                      1991 Accord SE

Comment

No diffrence from USDM or JDM trans. I would not rebuilt it IMO. did it before and 3 moths later dead. got 4 USED trans (Ihave had many CB's) and only had one issue with one (slipped a little).

I say get the JDM trans they have anywere from 30k - 60 k on them compared to 100k and up from here in the states and plus they don't drive as hard in the JDM world.

agreed. rebuilding import transmissions is just a waste of time and money.

you can pretty much always find a 30-40k mile unit for under 500.

who cares about warranty when you have an engine or tranny that is barely broken in?

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

I called another transmission shop, they said $1200 to $1500 with 12 months/12000 miles warranty; I might stop by tomorrow and see what they will change and see if they can lower the price.

I was reading lots of good reviews on Lucas transmission fix sold at any auto parts for $10 that is supposed to fix transmissions on slipping gears and leaks, tons of reviewers say it helps if transmission is not too bad, so will replace the fluid tomorrow and add that product and see what happens, I have nothing to lose anyway.

Lots of people complaints that the transmission rebuilders only replace as few parts as possible to save money instead of replacing most parts; that's why they only give you 6 months warranty.

Yeah, if do not get a better deal may end up getting a used one and will try to find a cheap mechanic that hopefully charges me $200 to replace it.

Comment

Can you email me the info on that place in NJ to call the and see what they have?.
                            I am going to NC and back Sunday and if is open may pick it up Sunday, hopefully find this mechanic that hopefully charges me $200 to change it.

I went to a couple shops this morning and want $1200 to start and said may go up once they open mine, etc... bunch of thieves around here.

My email is mexusa@optonline.net

I appreciate it.

Joaquin

Comment

Working...
                            X