Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

lower suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lower suspension

what parts are needed to lower my 91 honda accord?
    dont want to cut the spring are heat them.

You've been a member here since 08. Even with only 16 official posts, you should know to search before you ask. You can go the coilover route, or the lowering spring route, both have their ups and downs, but the key is to remember that however much you spend is how much your ass is worth to you. Cheap $50 coilovers aren't going to be nearly as safe or ride as good as a $400 set-up, which isn't going to be as good as an $1000 set-up.

Try using the search function. This question has been asked so many times, I can't even decide which thread to point out. Search for "lowering", or "drop" or "coilover" or even "cutting springs". Any of these will be chock full of threads with good information.

Comment

Get quality springs
      Get quality shocks
      Get a camber kit
      Get an alignment

If you're spending less than $500, then you're buying cheap parts. $500 is pretty much the absolute minimum you can spend to safely lower your car.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Get quality springs
        Get quality shocks
        Get a camber kit
        Get an alignment

If you're spending less than $500, then you're buying cheap parts. $500 is pretty much the absolute minimum you can spend to safely lower your car.
        Ehhh. I spent 250 on my springs/shocks but it was also a great deal though i haven't gotten my camber kit yet.
        No fat dudes, car will scrape. Katie

Comment

For new stuff? I read in your other thread what you have, but I can't remember offhand.

Generally, the cheapest shocks you want to run are KYB GR2s, and they run about $50 each. SOMETIMES you can find them for $150 for a package deal. They're only rated for a spring rate 15&#37; higher than stock, and they aren't meant to be slammed... so they're not exactly performance shocks... but they are considerably better than original OEM shocks. Ideally, if you want performance, and a shock that is properly matched to anything other than a mild "sport" spring (usually 1.5" drop or less) then you should be looking at Koni Yellows or Bilstein shocks.

Springs should always be a good brand. H&R, Neuspeed, Tein, Progress, etc... No cheap no-name crap from Ebay. They may look good, but the metal is inferior. They will sag, and may snap. I'd rather buy a used set of quality springs than a new set of cheapie springs. You can find good used springs for $100 or less. New, they usually go for $150-$200.

So yeah, bare minimum, springs and shocks... $250 isn't unreasonable.

A good camber kit will run $150 at least. I HIGHLY reccommend the TASauto adjustable upper control arm setup. It's not cheap, but it is by far the safest and most reliable way to add a camber kit. Cheap $50 camber kits WILL break on you. I've had it happen to me (Dropzone), and I'm lucky to be alive. I know of at least 3 other members on this site alone that have had the same thing happen. Luckily, nobody has been hurt... yet.

An alignment often runs $65. The best deal is the $200 lifetime alignment package at Firestone. If you plan on having your car for a while, and ESPECIALLY if you plan on getting an adjustable suspension, this deal will pay for itself.

Without a camber kit and a proper alignment, you'll be buying tires. With even cheap tire prices starting at $50 or so, plus the cost of mounting and balancing ($22 per wheel at most places by me)... You'll be losing a LOT of money very quickly! If you ignore the wear on your tires, you'll be putting yourself at serious risk. Bald tires don't stop your car, and don't hold the road when you turn.
          After sliding across 3 lanes of traffic, nearly plowing into a bus, and actually rear-ending an 06 Accord ($800 out of my pocket to fix his bumper)... I learned that lesson the hard way.

Comment

Also, cheap springs/shocks usually result in cupped tires in the rear. You'll be going through tires left and right like Deev said, and it'll constantly sound like you have bad wheel bearings.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

I have cupped tires in the rear with H&R Race and Koni Yellows... no camber correction, though. I need to get a rear kit.

Comment

Working...
              X