Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Suggestions on what motor to swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions on what motor to swap...

hey guys i have a f22a1 with over 210k miles, it still runs like a champ but i dont wanna push its limits so i want to swap it to a reliable DD engine but with some power behind it so im not stock slow...should i just get another f22a1 with less miles and build that motor (because i think it has potential) or is there another motor that fits perfectly w/o cutting anything, with more power that i should swap it to?

any suggestions?
    Ol' Skool FTW!

How much money do you want to spend realistically. Not just on the engine, but on everything needed to get it installed and working properly. What do you want the car for, just a reliable daily driver?
    Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
    Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
    Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
    Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by ECB7 View Post
      hey guys i have a f22a1 with over 210k miles, it still runs like a champ but i dont wanna push its limits so i want to swap it to a reliable DD engine but with some power behind it so im not stock slow...should i just get another f22a1 with less miles and build that motor (because i think it has potential) or is there another motor that fits perfectly w/o cutting anything, with more power that i should swap it to?

any suggestions?
      What do you mean by build? If your going to have the F22 rebuilt, there is no point in getting lower mileage, since the parts fitted will theoretically make the whole thing brand new.

The F22 has alot of potential, so don't be so quick to throw it away.
      What are your goals, If you don't want stock slow you could add a intake and exhaust.

You could also swap in an H22 with minimal hassle.

Just need to eloborate a bit more on what you really want to acheive.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
        How much money do you want to spend realistically. Not just on the engine, but on everything needed to get it installed and working properly. What do you want the car for, just a reliable daily driver?
        no more than 3gs, the installing i got peoples for that so not 2 much money will be spent there regardless of the engine, but like i dont want an H22 cause every1 i know that owns that motor including my brother loves it and hates it at tha same time, loves it cause it fast but hates it cause its 2 many problems. and yea i want a reliable daily driver but i want to mop up like a corvette or keep up wit evo's and sti's. u feel me? obviously a stock motor wont do that thats why i say ima build tha motor and tranny, meaning putting i/h/e, cams, pulley, etc., i wana be pushin around 200hp NA, and when i achieve that (if i decide i want more power) lower the compression if needed and boost it. =)

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
        What do you mean by build? If your going to have the F22 rebuilt, there is no point in getting lower mileage, since the parts fitted will theoretically make the whole thing brand new.

The F22 has alot of potential, so don't be so quick to throw it away.
        What are your goals, If you don't want stock slow you could add a intake and exhaust.

You could also swap in an H22 with minimal hassle.

Just need to eloborate a bit more on what you really want to acheive.
        build it as in performance parts, internal and external, i.e. i/h/e, cams, pulleys, camshaft, pistons, tha works u feel me?

and i also said i wanted a reliable car, thats why i THOUGHT swappin the same motor w/ less miles would make my engine last longer, i didnt think changing tha internals would on a car full of miles would be the same as swapping the motor for one w/ less miles...

my goals are to keep up or beat stock or slightly modified evo's, sti's, Z06's, etc.

I wana know through experience (preferably) whats a good swap, H22 heard 2 much bad shit about it so thats outta tha question, i was thinkin an F20b but from reading different forums and word of mouth that theres not 2 many performance parts for it, so idk bout that 1 yet...and thats it i just want to kno good swaps for my cb, and if any1 has numbers (i.e, hp, lbs-ft)2 prove their power that would help alot!
        Last edited by evil_demon_01; 03-09-2010, 05:41 PM.
        Ol' Skool FTW!

Comment

if thats your goal how bout maybe an h23? dohc non vtec should run terrific as is or better with boost. im gonna b rebuild my 23 pretty soon and cant wait.my buddy has one in his ride and i love it!

Comment

You want to do something different? And you want an engine with good potential?

One solution, F20A DOHC.

Easy swap, minimal hassle, great base for an N/A or boost.

Look into it, you might like it.
            R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Well honestly if your looking to "keep up with Z06's" then your going to need a lot more money then three grand. And before you get a mindset about "building it" ask yourself if you can really take a engine apart and confidently install parts and peice it back together. There is a lot of work that can be done when building any engine, and alot of money.

I would narrow your engine choices down to two H22 or F22 or whatever else youd like. Take your top two picks and surf the web and figure out exactly what parts you want (pistons, cams etc). based on what parts you can buy and afford pick the engine, then add all the cost of the parts and engine together... and then double it. trust me on this , you can plan it all but you will ALWAYS end up spending more as you run into little things that add up
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Installing a turbo and planning to tune later is kinda like having sex and planning to put the condom on afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
                You want to do something different? And you want an engine with good potential?

One solution, F20A DOHC.

Easy swap, minimal hassle, great base for an N/A or boost.

Look into it, you might like it.
                perfect! and i think il keep it stock maybe just i/h/e and make tha rest of tha car JDM! good looks
                Ol' Skool FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGsnorlax View Post
                  Well honestly if your looking to "keep up with Z06's" then your going to need a lot more money then three grand. And before you get a mindset about "building it" ask yourself if you can really take a engine apart and confidently install parts and peice it back together. There is a lot of work that can be done when building any engine, and alot of money.

I would narrow your engine choices down to two H22 or F22 or whatever else youd like. Take your top two picks and surf the web and figure out exactly what parts you want (pistons, cams etc). based on what parts you can buy and afford pick the engine, then add all the cost of the parts and engine together... and then double it. trust me on this , you can plan it all but you will ALWAYS end up spending more as you run into little things that add up
                  Wow if its like that then good looks on tha tip il just stick 2 something less hassle and money!
                  Ol' Skool FTW!

Comment

getting a rebuild for cheap is always bad news.

for under 3k you could get a F22B DOHC, H23 ect. swap and some bolt ons and get close to 180 WHP. with smart mods and upgraded engine management, as simple as a chipped ECU with a tune to a full stand alone setup like AEM

Comment

"heard too much bad shit" about the H22?

What "bad shit" have you heard? It sounds to me like you have no actual knowledge of your own, and you're going solely by what other ignorant people have been feeding you.

Do your own research. Learn a thing or two. Decide for yourself what will work for your plans.
                      You're looking to beat cars that run low 13s to high 12s in the quarter mile in stock form (and you mention modified versions of them...) That means you're probably shooting for an 11-12 second car.
                      Good luck.

My advice... buy another car. Something already fast, with a big aftermarket. Take it to a shop that knows what to do with it, and tell them to make it fast.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        "heard too much bad shit" about the H22?

What "bad shit" have you heard? It sounds to me like you have no actual knowledge of your own, and you're going solely by what other ignorant people have been feeding you.

Do your own research. Learn a thing or two. Decide for yourself what will work for your plans.
                        You're looking to beat cars that run low 13s to high 12s in the quarter mile in stock form (and you mention modified versions of them...) That means you're probably shooting for an 11-12 second car.
                        Good luck.

My advice... buy another car. Something already fast, with a big aftermarket. Take it to a shop that knows what to do with it, and tell them to make it fast.
                        yea thats why i've decide il stick 2 a stock motor, (might hop on the f20a dohc, or f20b dohc), and just work on tha cars' looks...less hassle and money

im not gona just buy another car, i like my car, thank u very much.
                        Last edited by ECB7; 03-10-2010, 03:38 PM.
                        Ol' Skool FTW!

Comment

The H22A is a stock motor as well.
                          The F20B DOHC is an OBD2 motor very similar to the H22.

My suggestion... learn a few things before you even touch your car. You clearly don't know very much, and even though you ask questions, you don't seem very willing to learn. Read, research, and pay attention to advice people give you. Otherwise, don't waste our time... and prepare to learn your lessons the hard way. Don't just listen to "bad shit" that other ignorant people have to say. If someone has an opinion, ask them for an explanation. If they can't give you one, don't put any faith in their opinion.

Comment

Working...
                          X