Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Turbo prep build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo prep build

My simple engine rebuild plans went out the window when one of my buddys mentioned that he had a DSM manifold and turbo sitting on the shelf if I wanted it. Current plan is still na for the time but want to get everything in place for the turbo later.

From all of the reading that I have done head studs are a given. I saw a link for them in the forced induction section just got to find it.

What head gasket would be best? This is going to be a under 10psi setup daily driver, nothing too extreme.

Is a block guard needed at low boost? is the one from tas decent?

If im not twisting massive RPM out of it do I need aftermarket valve springs or are new stock replacements ok?

I hate asking noob questions but when it comes to hondas and turbos I am a noob. I have been a professional mechanic for 17 years, master certified for 12. Ive built street rods, lifted trucks and stock cars and always built my own race motors. Chevys are easy though compared to hondas.

Thanks

Nick

Block guards have a reputation for warping sleeves... I'd stay away. If you're staying under 10psi, with a properly sized turbo (a stock DSM turbo is a BAD idea if you want the engine to last... too small) and a good ECU tune, then the stock sleeves should be plenty strong. An OEM head gasket will work fine as well.

Comment

Ok now I feel real dumb. How will too small of a turbo hurt the motor?

Forgot to mention in the original post thats its a 90 dx with a F22A1.

Nick

Comment

Which F22A doesn't really matter... they're all relatively the same. The internals are all the same in the F22As.

Small turbos do two things. 1) they create heat. Heat kills engines. 10psi from a small turbo will create more heat than 10psi from a larger turbo. 2) you'll be in boost much sooner... so the fuel consumption will be greater, and the stress on the motor will be greater. More frequent boost + higher heat while in boost = a 20 year old engine that won't last very long.

The turbos on DSMs come stock on a 2.0L 4G63. They're so easily found because they're already too small for that 2.0L! Putting it on a 2.2L is just asking for trouble.

Comment

there are multiple "stock" turbos from the DSM. I understand that the 16g's produce reasonable flow for a 2.2 .

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Which F22A doesn't really matter... they're all relatively the same. The internals are all the same in the F22As.

Small turbos do two things. 1) they create heat. Heat kills engines. 10psi from a small turbo will create more heat than 10psi from a larger turbo. 2) you'll be in boost much sooner... so the fuel consumption will be greater, and the stress on the motor will be greater. More frequent boost + higher heat while in boost = a 20 year old engine that won't last very long.

The turbos on DSMs come stock on a 2.0L 4G63. They're so easily found because they're already too small for that 2.0L! Putting it on a 2.2L is just asking for trouble.
            Not truing to argue, just understand. When you say it puts more heat, what do you mean. Oil temp heat, air charge heat, general radiant heat from the housing?

As for the 20 year old engine, its getting pulled for a major rebuild first, broke in, then turbo later.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Cautrell05 View Post
              Not truing to argue, just understand. When you say it puts more heat, what do you mean. Oil temp heat, air charge heat, general radiant heat from the housing?

As for the 20 year old engine, its getting pulled for a major rebuild first, broke in, then turbo later.

Nick
              Probably all of the above, but air charge heat is what I was referring to.

Originally posted by trickery View Post
              there are multiple "stock" turbos from the DSM. I understand that the 16g's produce reasonable flow for a 2.2 .
              What DSM had the 16G?
              The only "stock" DSM turbos I'm aware of are the 14b and the t25, both of which are too small to be safely run on an F22A for any extended period of time.

Comment

If Im only looking for 200-250 is it going to be that bad?

Nick

Comment

Is what going to be that bad? A small turbo?

Yes. Regardless of the amount of power you want to make (and 250whp is considerably more than those turbos are designed to make on a stock 2.0L engine...) THE SMALL TURBO WILL MAKE ENGINE-DAMAGING HEAT!

This is the last time I'll say it. If you really don't want to believe me, fine. Get your small turbo, and learn the hard way. It will be much cheaper to pay a little more for a properly sized turbo now, than it will be to replace your engine AND your turbo down the line.

And to answer my question to the other guy (since I already knew the answer, and he doesn't seem to be responding), the 16G (the BIG 16G is the one you want) came on the Evo3, which was not a DSM. It had a 4G63 just like the DSMs, and that turbo will bolt right to the manifold... but it is not a "stock DSM" part. DSM is a collaboration between Chrysler and Mitsubishi, and the Lancer line was not affiliated with Chrysler at all. Chrysler had no hand in the Evolution models... Not everything with the 4G63 was a "DSM".

Ignorance is a beautiful thing.

My advice... get your DSM parts, and find yourself a Big 16G turbo in good condition. Use the DSM 450cc injectors, as they should be ok up to 250whp... as long as they're cleaned and functioning properly. Get a chipped P06 ECU and have it dyno tuned by someone that knows what they're doing. You'll meet your power goals, and your motor might even live long enough for you to enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                  X