Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Nosiy engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nosiy engine?

well i got my cb7 a week ago and ive been tuning it and fixing crap since.. but the one thing i can't figure out is, why dose it sound like (if there were lifters) the lifters are clattering? i was looking at the correct timing diy and i was considering it but wanted to check first.. indeed im a n00b to this 4cyl and yeah any input would be great, thanks in advance

also, when the engine is running at normal temp, and i put it in reverse i hear a thud, i was thinking its the motor mounts but it only comes from the passenger side?
    Last edited by PassnThru; 02-22-2010, 05:13 AM.

Without a sound clip, I have to assume your engine sounds like the rest of our engines. Welcome to the world of Honda. It took me a while to get used to the overhead cam and injector noise. You're actually hearing some normal valve noise, and the injectors make their own little noise when they open and close. Post a video clip if you're really sweating about it so we can hear it.

How does the thug sound? Metallic? Solid? Hollow? A better description will help narrow it down, but I'd assume a bad mount. Have a friend you trust sit in the car and shift it into and out of reverse while you look for the thud.

Comment

Our engines are known for valvetrain noise. Our injectors are noisy as well.

Adjust your valves, and try a different oil. Unless something is significantly worn or damaged, one or both of those things will fix it.

As for the shifting thunk... the transmission is on the passenger side, which is why you hear it from there. I would definitely inspect your motor mounts. If your car is automatic, it may be the transmission. If it is manual, there really isn't anything inside that would do that, so the mounts are pretty much all that would create such a sound.

Comment

Yes, I need a valve adjustment as well. Tap isn't uncommon at all. It's depressing.

life is good.

Comment

yeah i guess it's the same on honda's. my 93 acura legend has the same nosie but not as bad.. i'll see about a video clip if it will stop raining.. thanks for the input on it

Comment

sadly its auto, i just picked up a pedal set for a manual swap, only gathering parts right now lol
            i will check out the mounts you guys ever heard of polly filling then?

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Our engines are known for valvetrain noise. Our injectors are noisy as well.

Adjust your valves, and try a different oil. Unless something is significantly worn or damaged, one or both of those things will fix it.

As for the shifting thunk... the transmission is on the passenger side, which is why you hear it from there. I would definitely inspect your motor mounts. If your car is automatic, it may be the transmission. If it is manual, there really isn't anything inside that would do that, so the mounts are pretty much all that would create such a sound.
            anyone know why the parking brake light stasys on and it wount come out of park unless you use the key (shift lock release)..
            Last edited by PassnThru; 02-22-2010, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PassnThru View Post
              anyone know why the parking brake light stasys on
              Low brake fluid, or faulty park brake switch.

Originally posted by PassnThru View Post
              It wount come out of park unless you use the key (shift lock release)..
              Blown fuse or faulty brake pedal switch.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

awesome i'll check the in a little bit thanks

Comment

The parking brake cable could also need adjustment, though the reasons given above are more likely.

Comment

i was low on fluid witch cleared the light but still it dosent want to come out of park, what fuse do i check?

how would i go about adjusting the valves? i know the basics remove valve cover lol but whats next and how much do i torqe them to?

Comment

Working...
                    X