Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Turbo an F22 with automatic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo an F22 with automatic?

So my buddy is looking at getting another cb7 and he is thinking about possibly turboing it. I dont know much at all about turbos......i have seen quite a few F22s on here but dont know if the auto trans will hold up to the beating of a turbo. I know there are smart turbo people out there so just curious! THANKS! and info on what kind of turbo and setup would be SWEET!!!

I think Boost_Lee was turbo'd with an MP1A auto trans for a while. I'd say give it a shot but be prepared to replace the trans if it blows. Could be fun, and when it blows 5spd swap time!
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

my 1st CB was auto. boosted it on i think 8lbs and it took HEAVY abuse for just under 1 year b4 it finally popped. think there was about 230k+ mi on it too! i got an extra auto trans lyin around now that i'm convertin the latest purchase if your boi wants a spare lol!

Comment

I've heard that tuning an auto is difficult, but I've never done so myself. Tuning is very important when it comes to a turbo motor.

Comment

Originally posted by ChroNicBoosT View Post
          my 1st CB was auto. boosted it on i think 8lbs and it took HEAVY abuse for just under 1 year b4 it finally popped. think there was about 230k+ mi on it too! i got an extra auto trans lyin around now that i'm convertin the latest purchase if your boi wants a spare lol!
          sweet i will have to let him know! he has to buy the car first lol. the one he is looking at getting has 202k which is a lot but mine has 251k and runs stronger than my last cb that only had 110k

Comment

I was gonna ask this same question lol. Also plannin to turbo my cb till the i get another engine built for turbo. Then once the tranny or the engine blows in the current car i'll just pop in the new engine. I think i also asked this question once actually. From what i remember you can only run about 6 to 7 pounds of boost so your tranny doesn't blow quickly.

Also deeve there's plenty of stock auto turbo cars, dont they have to be tuned once in a while as well? Not being a smart ass lol, just something i was wondering about.

Comment

well those cars are tuned at the factory. i think he was just saying its harder to initially tune an automatic turbo'd car than a manual. i have never tuned a car for a turbo so just my guess as a gearhead

Comment

I'm boosting my cb7 too i gathering a good kit, i need lots...i know alot about boosting, and an auto is going to be beat for a while....thats why I'm putting mine on a life support, transmission cooling can extend but not gurantee life for the tranny.....but as soon as i boost my auto running safe 8 psi and when i finelly gather the 5spd swap, Tranny, cables master cylinder....e.t.c i will unplug its support and boot 12lbs and wait and break it not blow more like tired it out...and then i swap the baby to 5sp and a bigger turbo.....and yes the automatic can be hard to be tuned i belived cuz not only are you tunning the ecu in this case maybe a P06 ECU....but the auto trans has a TCU(transmission computer Unit)...or TCM....so it might need tunning manual/5spd's don't got a TCU so no problems there!....
                Last edited by CB7InspiredSi; 02-21-2010, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLKWLF View Post
                  I was gonna ask this same question lol. Also plannin to turbo my cb till the i get another engine built for turbo. Then once the tranny or the engine blows in the current car i'll just pop in the new engine. I think i also asked this question once actually. From what i remember you can only run about 6 to 7 pounds of boost so your tranny doesn't blow quickly.

Also deeve there's plenty of stock auto turbo cars, dont they have to be tuned once in a while as well? Not being a smart ass lol, just something i was wondering about.
                  no.....actually when he means tuned it means that a cars stock ECU(engine computer unit) that runs a N/A (pretty much no turbo) car needs to be tuned just for the spicific turbo build so it can withold the boost and will run fine with the right tuned.....stock turbo cars don't just get tuned every once in awhile..lol...but if thats not what you meant.....then i'm sorry?..lol.....but in your point of view yeah if you want better performance out of your stock turbo car then just one lil tune or adjust of boost can make a difference...

Comment

Originally posted by CB7InspiredSi View Post
                    no.....actually when he means tuned it means that a cars stock ECU(engine computer unit) that runs a N/A (pretty much no turbo) car needs to be tuned just for the spicific turbo build so it can withold the boost and will run fine with the right tuned.....stock turbo cars don't just get tuned every once in awhile..lol...but if thats not what you meant.....then i'm sorry?..lol.....but in your point of view yeah if you want better performance out of your stock turbo car then just one lil tune or adjust of boost can make a difference...
                    Exactly. The ECU tune is more complicated with an auto. Most ECU tuners I know of on this forum would rather not work with automatics. I don't know the details, but i know that much. I DO know of one or two boosted automatics on here, though... so it is certainly possible. blazen_accord is making about 400whp with a boosted H22 automatic.

Comment

The biggest reason tuning an auto Honda is difficult, is because its rather hit or miss with the software being compatible with the auto trans functions. Sure the Accord has a separate trans computer, but the ECU and TCU do still talk to each other. And when you slap in a computer from a Civic that has the TCU functions integrated into the ECU, and use software to tune it that wasn't coded to recognize the TCU, weird things happen.

Read dis:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=80996
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Na i know what a tune up and tuning the ecu means, i was just thinking that when something goes wrong with the turbo or any other turbo related problems arise there would be some tuning involved to get the issue sorted.

DAMN! 400whp on an auto h22. Thats crazy! lol

Comment

Yes, you can tune on an automatic transmission an yes you can turbo on an automatic transmission. It is all just a little more complicated than tuning and such on a manual.

The extra power is definitely going to beat the piss out of the tranny. Depending on how many miles it has and what sort of condition it's in will determine how long it lasts, obviously. You better be ready to replace the transmission because let's face it, Honda's automatic transmissions aren't really their strong point.

Tuning is a whole different issue. You could fuck around with different ECU's and different software, but you are probably better off just running a piggy back system to avoid the hassle. I personally am using an AEM FIC controller to tune with my build.

It can happen, it just takes a little extra research and a little extra money. If you have any questions on Automatic tranny and tuning, shoot me a PM and I'm sure I can help you out considering I have done A LOT of this research myself already and incorperated it into my project.
                          R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

As already said the auto transmission is not going to handle the power all that long. I'm sure however, your driving style will also affect the overall life span of the tranny too. If you are pushing hard all the time, you can expect it to eventually go out the window. From what I remember reading, if you do turbo an automatic car (tuning issue aside), you will have to use a transmission cooler at the very least as well. Maybe with a trans cooler, and not always beating on the car, you could extend the life of the tranny, but for how much longer, I dont know.

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

Just sharing my 2cent

DO have a spare tranny if you pass the 300+whp on the stock H22a auto tranny or 230whp on the f22a auto tranny. Large external delicated tranny oil cooler, don't bounce of the rev limiter..often, don't race often from a complete stop it shock the tranny much harder then a rolling start. Check and change your tranny fluid more often then N/A car. If you want more life and stronger auto tranny get a performance rebuilt one. The rest of us can get the JDM H22auto trans - LSD come stock and is prefered and cheap as it can get $450-$650. Yes piggyback can do wonder for auto tranny turbo engine- I have Greddy E-manage Ultimate one of the best piggy-back system for auto turbo import.

Sharing from my experience after 3 years my JDM h22A LSD auto trans daily driven handle 300+whp just fine. BUT after 6.5 months of ~400+whp the stock LSD H22a auto clutch burn out- I could not select any gear. Lucky I was able to get another stock LSD JDM H22A auto from "ebay "for $450 shiped and have the engine detune down to ~348whp this way it should last me couple more years. Oh another thing 400+whp on a front wheel drive car on the street is no fun- really!! you can't really put down all that power on street tires and on crappy city/street road. Prepare for major torque steer, and a jump in boost spike when vtec engage... Happy Boosting Folks..
                              90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                              < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

Working...
                              X