Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

severe shaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

severe shaking?

well I'm pissed. I get up to about 60 and if I'm in the gas at all I get this horrible shaking coming from the front. but when I'm not on the gas it's smooth like it should be. can someone shoot me things that I should check for this problem?
    Originally posted by scudweiser
    once again people, need i remind you that there is no road between the kitchen and the bedroom, and therefore women need not drive?

Wheel balance and alignment are the most likely culprits. Less likely could be axles or suspension.

Comment

maybe motor mounts.... or less likely tranny issues... 5spd or auto?
      Originally posted by deevergote
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

auto. I know that I need a new axle on that side, but could it be causing this?
        once again people, need i remind you that there is no road between the kitchen and the bedroom, and therefore women need not drive?

Comment

Depending on what's wrong with it, and how bad it is, yes.

Comment

alright. well I'll go buy a new axle tomorrow and change it out. Hopefully that will fix it.

Comment

when one of my axles went bad on the highway if i cruised at a steady speed there would be no vibration but if i slowed down or sped up it would be very similar to how you explained

when you go to change you axle(if you do it) be sure to check the stuff that this good man tells you to
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=119467
              ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

thanks brah.

Comment

It's not your wheels. If wheels are out of balance they will shake all the time, doesn't matter if your accelerating, constant, or braking, they will shake.

A vibration that happens under acceleration is almost always the cv axles, speaking from personal experience and tons of threads, it's a common problem. You have the auto so it's likely your passenger side axle (shortest). This side is about half the length and so the cv joint angles are greater promoting a faster rate of wear. It could be the driver's side, but not as likely.

After going through reman and new axles from Advance, AutoZone, and Napa, and having them all fail within a year, I recommend getting an OEM quality axle. To get this you either have to go to the dealer or order one from raxles.com.

All of the auto parts stores use axle components produced at sub-par standards (even though they CLAIM oem quality they're not). The axle shafts aren't completely uniform, the outer joints are reused making their tolerances have more and more play every time they're rebuilt. In my living room right now I have one "new" axle from Advance and one "new" axle from Napa. Both of them went bad within 6 months and now I'm stuck with them because they'll only make exchanges. I have two axles from raxles.com and love them, GREAT company!
                  My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                    It's not your wheels. If wheels are out of balance they will shake all the time, doesn't matter if your accelerating, constant, or braking, they will shake.

A vibration that happens under acceleration is almost always the cv axles, speaking from personal experience and tons of threads, it's a common problem. You have the auto so it's likely your passenger side axle (shortest). This side is about half the length and so the cv joint angles are greater promoting a faster rate of wear. It could be the driver's side, but not as likely.

After going through reman and new axles from Advance, AutoZone, and Napa, and having them all fail within a year, I recommend getting an OEM quality axle. To get this you either have to go to the dealer or order one from raxles.com.

All of the auto parts stores use axle components produced at sub-par standards (even though they CLAIM oem quality they're not). The axle shafts aren't completely uniform, the outer joints are reused making their tolerances have more and more play every time they're rebuilt. In my living room right now I have one "new" axle from Advance and one "new" axle from Napa. Both of them went bad within 6 months and now I'm stuck with them because they'll only make exchanges. I have two axles from raxles.com and love them, GREAT company!
                    how much did those run you?
                    Last edited by ingold; 02-06-2010, 11:27 PM.

Comment

i would also recommend Cardone for a good brand of axels...
                      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

where would I get these? ^

Comment

i know you can get them at thepartsbin.com for about 50$-70$ plus shipping.... i'm not sure about local stores...

hope this helps...
                          Last edited by mtnbikaah; 02-07-2010, 09:38 AM.

Comment

I had an axle from NAPA that lasted for about 6 years, with many, many miles on it. NAPA parts are generally better than most other autoparts store parts. So far, I've had decent luck with Autozone, but they're hit or miss. I'd say that I'm lucky, rather than say they should be trusted.

19dabeast85, you're right about the wheels being constant.
                            My only thought is that since we have old, bumpy cars anyway, many people won't take notice to bad wheel balance or alignmet at low speeds... only at high speed when it's very noticeable. I've done this myself. Your point makes sense, though... and I agree the axles should definitely be the first thing to address. Especially if one is known to be bad.

ingold, if you KNOW something is bad, replace it... and go from there. Even if it's not what's causing the problem, it should be addressed anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by ingold View Post
                              how much did those run you?
                              It depends, are your current axles oem or aftermarket replacements? If they're oem, raxles will take them in as a core, if they're anything else he can't reuse the cheaper parts so you'll pay full price.
                              My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Working...
                              X