Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

ARP head studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARP head studs

Hello all, I have a set of ARP head studs and I was always under the impression that you can reuse ARP head studs.

I was recently told that you can only reuse them 3-4 times before it is time to replace them.

But I am also told that you can reuse them almost endlessly since they are studs.

Go.

^^click it or ticket^^

being that they are stretched every time that you loosen and retorque them the eventually loose their stretch. I wouldnt use them more than 3-4 times on my own car. they are pretty cheap so replacing them is worth the investment. 3-4 times is better than having to replace OEM ones ever time you take the head off.

for those that dont know... OEM bolts are torque to yield bolts and are intended to only be used one time because they stretch so much. The material properties of these bolts only allow them to be torqued onces and still maintain their strength.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
    member ride thread
    11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
    DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
    People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
    I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
    John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Ahh so it could be my heads studs that are causing my problem.

i have a bad head gasket type problem. hard starts,rough idle at first until all the white smoke blows out, loss of oil and coolant and coolant on my dip stick.

I just did a head gasket a year ago, but I had a feeling my head was warped from a long drive home from Ohio to Rhode Island with the car overheating like 5 times on the way.

So it could be bad studs or a bad head now.

Thanks man.

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
        for those that dont know... OEM bolts are torque to yield bolts and are intended to only be used one time because they stretch so much. The material properties of these bolts only allow them to be torqued onces and still maintain their strength.
        Just wondering where you got the info that they have to be replaced turbo90accord? Can you site your reference materials?

Most times if a bolt is a torque to yield or of a self locking type. The manual will plainly state that the nut/bolt in question must be replaced. I don't see that stated under the head bolts in any of the manuals that I own. I realize that it is a good practice to replace them. I've just never seen it written anywhere.
        Last edited by GhostAccord; 02-05-2010, 12:03 PM.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
        X