Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

what are my chances??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are my chances??

Ok, on Monday, my car would not start; sounded like it was just spinning and all of a sudden, it worked and ran fine all day. On tuesday, would not start. checked everything, and noticed the distributor was not turning. turns out the timing belt was missing a bunch of teeth. NOW i have it apart, waiting for the new belt to come in. I know this is an 'interference engine'; what are the chances I DIDNT bend the valves?? and how the hell did it run on monday??

got me.. i would say not good,i would do a compression test after you get it back together ..if it`s bad news with the valves ,i would get a head at the jy ,get a a6 it has the best cam in the head and stiffer springs too

Comment

X2 ^

Also while you're doing the belt , you can take the head off and inspect.
      EXTERMINATE ALL MUFFINS!

I WANT YOU! TO JOIN THE CAKE MILITARY SERVICE.
      DO YOUR PART! FOR YOUR SWEET-TOOTH!

Comment

I would also recommend to take a look while you have everything apart. But, instead of buying a new head, valve springs and valves are pretty cheap.

Comment

Head gasket $$$

Problem is a head gasket is $50; the set is $150, on top of the $250 parts for the timing belt (belts, seals, gaskets, Wpump, etc). Anyway to inspect it while the head is on the engine, or can I pull the head without pulling the in/exh manifolds??

Thanks, Ive done this before, but not on an interferance engine.

Comment

Just put the new belt, pump, etc in if you have a problem then you will know when you start it.... If you end up needing to replace valves you need a new belt anyways...

Comment

Your best bet would be to take the head off while you have everything apart.
              R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

X2. You want to look at everything while the head is off. You can take the cam shaft out and all the valves should be in the closed positions. Take it up to a machine shop and tell them you want the head checked for bent valves. It shouldn't be too much. If you wanted to do it the poor mans way, pour water into the cylinder head intake and exhaust ports and see if any water leaks out between the valve and the head.
                Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

are you doing the work yourself? if so, i would just put the new timing belt on, making sure its timed right, then before you put it all back together, just pull all the plugs out and do a quick compression test... you need the belt anyway, and that'll tell you what's up without having to put it ALL back together also, i usually unplug the coil and/or distributor when i do a compression check to keep from having stray sparks all over the place... (that shit hurts if u get too close, lol)
                  91 EX Coupe 5 Speed
                  My Ride Thread

ASE Certified Master Tech Since 2005

Originally posted by deevergote
                  That's like watching a guy stick his head up his own ass. Impressive... but why?
                  Bought From: Quakerjoe , MikeW

Comment

thanks, I think I will wait and do the compression test. I did a little research (google ), and it seems it depends on the engine rpm when the belt breaks. my car wasnt running, just trying to start it...let you know what happens on Monday.. thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X