Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

55w from 35w hid kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

55w from 35w hid kits

i just bought some 55w 6000k hid's, will i have some sort of problems if i do put em on? my brother has 35w on his and it seems fine but we're not sure about the 55w ones.

some say it might burn through the wiring harness while others say it wont. i personally dont think so but ive never tried on a accord

no
    Accord turbo kit under $2k here
    $30 HID kits here Thread
    "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
    "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

It could be an issue.

Your stock lightbulbs are 55W, so that part shouldn't be an issue.

BUT.

When HID's light up initially, they consume a lot of power, which decreases as they warm up. They call this Arc Strike Time and this is the increasing brightness you notice as they warm up.

That may allow them to draw more power than what the wiring can handle, leading to problems, especially on old wiring.

However, you can get one of the relay wiring kits that should eliminate the problem.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

i have a 55wat kit just plug and play.i have had no problems with them and yes they are the 55wat ballests and bulbs.

my new turbo build

Comment

how long have you had them in? and are they 6000k?

Comment

about 1year and a half and yes they are 6k.heres a pic.

my new turbo build

Comment

sweet i just got mine in as we speak, did you have a relay? i'm gettin in new headlights too. damn this is gonna look sick

Comment

Originally posted by complexmindz85 View Post
                sweet i just got mine in as we speak, did you have a relay? i'm gettin in new headlights too. damn this is gonna look sick
                no relay mine are built in.

my new turbo build

Comment

sweet, when i get my stuff all together i'll take pics and post em up, thanks again guys

Comment

Run an auxiliary relay harness (about $15) to the battery. Trust me.

Anyone who says "mine are just fine" are running on borrowed time. They've probably already damaged their wiring. The wiring isn't made to handle the amount of power than HIDs draw as they warm up.

$15 and 10 minutes beats the hell out of burning up your stock harness and having to rip your dash out just to replace the harness.
                    If you want to take that risk, go for it. But is that risk worth saving $15? Seriously?

I love how someone gives a logical, technical explanation... but the OP listens to the guy that "hasn't had any problems yet".

When you have sex, do you wear a condom? Or do you listen to the guy that says "I never wear a condom... no kids or STDs yet!" Same principle.

Comment

yea true, i'm still putting a relay on it though, it was just the fact of the 55w and 35w differences, i just wanted to make sure that gap was still safe for our cars

Comment

Even the 35w HIDs draw more power than the OEM wiring can handle as they warm up.

A guy that fried his wiring just posted in another thread. He'll post in this one any second now, I'm quite sure.

Comment

even with a relay, how much life is expected usually?

Comment

The relay won't change the life of the HIDs, just your stock wiring (and that should last, if not abused).

The HID setup itself may last for a while, though the quality of the kits available does vary. I have some OLD BMW ballasts and ignitors in my car (separate pieces... and old design... they're one piece now). I've had them for 5 years or so, and never had an issue. However, it's OEM BMW quality. Not sure where the bulbs came from, but they're the ones that I got with the HIDs as well (and I got it all used, too)

There are $30 kits on the market now. They're certainly not quite as good, but for that price, you can afford to replace them once a year! Personally, I'd go with a cheap kit, and a proper harness. Also, a proper HID projector retrofit into a housing of your choice (I have JDM one pieces, my friend has the stock glass, and I've seen aftermarket pieces that look fine). With a cheap HID kit ($45 shipped), a relay harness ($15), and a good projector retrofit ($100 for TSX projectors... which I HIGHLY recommend), you'll have a REALLY nice setup.

Comment

55 watt kit

(I wont get into the 55watt number on hids)
                              55watts/14.4=3.8amps - good charging system
                              55watts/12=4.6amps - Poor charging system

In real life though.. I measured my kit..
                              Peak start up was 9amps per ballast
                              Kit running averaged 3amps after start up

So about 18amps on start up total..... I assume 55watt and 35watt kits draw about the same on start up....... So at start up you have about 260watts on your stock wiring!!!! (For a short time)

55watt halogen bulbs draw about 4amps constant each

I would buy the cheapest kit possible since no matter what anyone say all the low priced kits are them same and use a relay.

I have a oem retrofit on my motorcycle... (projector, oem ballast, and bulb) and the output is ten times better then the kits in my cars.

I have had a "ebay" kit in one of my cars for four or five years.. Original bulbs, ballast no problems.
                              Last edited by ChIoVnIdCa; 02-03-2010, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X