Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Hydrolock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydrolock?

Hydrolock? (in reference to intakes)

How often does it happen? and what can you do to prevent it? Does it only happen when filter is immersed in water?

Bought From:
    CB7 Sleeper
    illestatus
    HondaFan81

My Ride:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...92#post2587592

Hydrolock: is a condition of an internal combustion engine in which an incompressible liquid. such as water
    www.stl-imports.com

Referral: crx08

support the import community

Comment

Originally posted by crx08 View Post
      Hydrolock: is a condition of an internal combustion engine in which an incompressible liquid. such as water
      I understand that... Re-read my questions.

Bought From:
      CB7 Sleeper
      illestatus
      HondaFan81

My Ride:

Comment

if you understand then the answer seems obvious.

dont drive through huge puddles with your filter-less CAI on.

Comment

Originally posted by Status Quo View Post
          I understand that... Re-read my questions.
          sorry dude lol. just don't have the filter down below to where you would run into big water puddles. a way to prevent it if to buy a intake bypass valve. I think AEM makes one. i've never seen a DIY bypass. but it would be interesting to see
          www.stl-imports.com

Referral: crx08

support the import community

Comment

Originally posted by crx08 View Post
            sorry dude lol. just don't have the filter down below to where you would run into big water puddles. a way to prevent it if to buy a intake bypass valve. I think AEM makes one. i've never seen a DIY bypass. but it would be interesting to see
            haha! thats alright.

Thats what I was trying to get feedback on is bypass's. I've seen hand made intakes without one several times. Just wondering if its that big of a risk.

Bought From:
            CB7 Sleeper
            illestatus
            HondaFan81

My Ride:

Comment

ive never seen it happen, only stutter or kill the engine.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                ive never seen it happen, only stutter or kill the engine.
                Thanks! All I needed to know.

Bought From:
                CB7 Sleeper
                illestatus
                HondaFan81

My Ride:

Comment

Originally posted by Status Quo View Post
                  Hydrolock? (in reference to intakes)

How often does it happen? and what can you do to prevent it? Does it only happen when filter is immersed in water?
                  *Not too often if you take the proper precautions (as 92jdm said as well).

*A good preventative measure would be the purchase of a bypass valve. But to be honest with you man, I've never known anyone who's had one installed. Not that I'm saying they don't work, but if it's raining that heavy, and you have a 2pc. cai, remove the lower section or disconnect it temporarily. I've run plenty of cai's on my rigs and never had a problem even in torrential downpours, just gotta know what to avoid

*It would happen after water would enter the IM system. It would have to make it to the cylinders for it to cause an issue. But once it does happen, I can't imagine it'd be too pretty. Poor piston

life is good.

Comment

As long as your not going WOT through deep puddles you should be fine.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by DJ metadelic View Post
                      *Not too often if you take the proper precautions (as 92jdm said as well).

*A good preventative measure would be the purchase of a bypass valve. But to be honest with you man, I've never known anyone who's had one installed. Not that I'm saying they don't work, but if it's raining that heavy, and you have a 2pc. cai, remove the lower section or disconnect it temporarily. I've run plenty of cai's on my rigs and never had a problem even in torrential downpours, just gotta know what to avoid

*It would happen after water would enter the IM system. It would have to make it to the cylinders for it to cause an issue. But once it does happen, I can't imagine it'd be too pretty. Poor piston
                      Thanks! Appreciate the info. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but when investing its good to get feedback first.

Bought From:
                      CB7 Sleeper
                      illestatus
                      HondaFan81

My Ride:

Comment

Yeah man, I mean think of the volume and I guess there's no other word for it *mass* of water vs. that of air. The intake makes a lot of sound, making it seem like it's sucking in the air pretty hard, but in fact it would take a lot (i.e. WOT possibly) for it to make it up into, and then down into the cylinder chambers. I think the bypass valve idea is a fine one though, just never really seen it being used before.

life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ metadelic View Post
                          Yeah man, I mean think of the volume and I guess there's no other word for it *mass* of water vs. that of air. The intake makes a lot of sound, making it seem like it's sucking in the air pretty hard, but in fact it would take a lot (i.e. WOT possibly) for it to make it up into, and then down into the cylinder chambers. I think the bypass valve idea is a fine one though, just never really seen it being used before.
                          alright cool. Thanks!

Bought From:
                          CB7 Sleeper
                          illestatus
                          HondaFan81

My Ride:

Comment

Hey Mark, next time you have a question, send me a private message. I'll help you out.

Now that you are starting to invest in the Accord, I'd really like to get involved. If you need any help installing anything or you just need some general information, don't hesitate to ask me.

As for the hydrolock issue, it isn't something that happens too often. Like 92 JDM said, as long as you don't go driving through any deep puddles while in wide open throttle, you shouldn't have any problems.
                            R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

I've known it to happen... and I've known people who have had it happen. Smart people.

Avoid submersing your filter, and you'll be fine. However, if it does happen, it will totally destroy your engine. Hydrolock is like slamming your pistons into a brick wall.

A CAI doesn't give you significantly more power over a short ram, and when the car is moving, the engine bay isn't all that much warmer. If you're afraid of hydrolock, just get a short ram.

Comment

Working...
                              X