Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

head swapp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head swapp

i have the f22a4 in my cb7 and was wonderin if the f20 head fits on my f22a4 and if i would have to modify it any.......also will it give me more power

F20 head from a accord?
    www.stl-imports.com

Referral: crx08

support the import community

Comment

yeah the f20 from the accord....or is there another head i should use for more power

Comment

Have you searched around? I don't know a whole lot about the F-series engines and which head would perform the best all stock. but maybe a way to see if the F20 head will fit is to buy a head gasket to see if it lines up with your F22A4. that's one option
        www.stl-imports.com

Referral: crx08

support the import community

Comment

The F20A single cam? they put out no more power as a whole than the F22A6 does. Try swapping in A6 cams, and either an A6 or H23 IM with either's runners.

The F20B only put out I believe somewhere around 150 at crank, so it'd still be more worthwhile to swap out for parts from an A6.

::EDIT:: I can't remember which one of the F20 SOHC's had a lower redline. Anyone remember?
          Last edited by DJ metadelic; 01-25-2010, 01:58 AM.

life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ metadelic View Post
            The F20A single cam? they put out no more power as a whole than the F22A6 does. Try swapping in A6 cams, and either an A6 or H23 IM with either's runners.

The F20B only put out I believe somewhere around 150 at crank, so it'd still be more worthwhile to swap out for parts from an A6.

::EDIT:: I can't remember which one of the F20 SOHC's had a lower redline. Anyone remember?
            The F20A is a 2.0L version of the F22A. The head is the same as the F22A.

The F20B SOHC is a 2.0L version of the F22B1, with the same poorly flowing VTEC head. This is a downgrade.

The F20B DOHC is commonly referred to as a "destroked H22". While that isn't entirely accurate, it's close enough. The F20B DOHC head is similar to the H22's head in many ways, though not identical.
            The manual transmission version of the F20B DOHC made 200ps. The automatic version made 180ps.
            Both of these had a very high redline and high compression.

Now, assuming you want to put the DOHC head on your block, since that's the only one that even comes close to being an upgrade... You will not gain a considerable amount of power due to the lower compression. Your F22A bottom end is also not built to rev to the range that the head likes for power... so you'd have to shift in the middle of your powerband.

Headswaps on these engines are generally a bad idea, unless you know exactly what you're doing, and you have a good reason to do it.
            The F22A head you have right now has incredible flow potential if you get it properly ported. Look into doing that, or look into a complete swap.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              The F20A is a 2.0L version of the F22A. The head is the same as the F22A.

The F20B SOHC is a 2.0L version of the F22B1, with the same poorly flowing VTEC head. This is a downgrade.

The F20B DOHC is commonly referred to as a "destroked H22". While that isn't entirely accurate, it's close enough. The F20B DOHC head is similar to the H22's head in many ways, though not identical.
              The manual transmission version of the F20B DOHC made 200ps. The automatic version made 180ps.
              Both of these had a very high redline and high compression.

Now, assuming you want to put the DOHC head on your block, since that's the only one that even comes close to being an upgrade... You will not gain a considerable amount of power due to the lower compression. Your F22A bottom end is also not built to rev to the range that the head likes for power... so you'd have to shift in the middle of your powerband.

Headswaps on these engines are generally a bad idea, unless you know exactly what you're doing, and you have a good reason to do it.
              The F22A head you have right now has incredible flow potential if you get it properly ported. Look into doing that, or look into a complete swap.

Now my question to u. Say he decided to go with the F22B1 head cuz he wants VTEC and sends the the head out to be port and polished along with new valves springs and retainers. Will his stock F22a block handle this?

Comment

Yes. The F22A and F22B1 blocks are nearly identical.

However, the F22B1 head is a downgrade. Poorly designed ports and valve angles. Porting and polishing the F22A head would give you far better results than the SOHC VTEC head. The VTEC system on the F22B1 is not designed for performance... but for fuel economy, and to sell cars.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Yes. The F22A and F22B1 blocks are nearly identical.

However, the F22B1 head is a downgrade. Poorly designed ports and valve angles. Porting and polishing the F22A head would give you far better results than the SOHC VTEC head. The VTEC system on the F22B1 is not designed for performance... but for fuel economy, and to sell cars.
                  gotcha. Now one other thing. If he did go wit a F20B DOHC and had it sent out for P&P along with three angle valve job and wat not. Then sent his F22a crank out for inspection and replaces his rod bearings and puts in a higher compression pistons. Will the new stock rod bearings be able to handle this increase in power from the F20B DOHC head and higher compression pistons?

Comment

so if i wanted to go vtec without doin the whole swapp wut would be the best way

Comment

Just do a complete swap if you want VTEC, its the best way for power and budget.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnz826 View Post
                        gotcha. Now one other thing. If he did go wit a F20B DOHC and had it sent out for P&P along with three angle valve job and wat not. Then sent his F22a crank out for inspection and replaces his rod bearings and puts in a higher compression pistons. Will the new stock rod bearings be able to handle this increase in power from the F20B DOHC head and higher compression pistons?
                        If he replaces the rods with forged rods as well, yes, that will certainly work. BUT, that's what you call a built engine... most people do head swaps because they're on a budget. Building an engine with all new forged internals is NOT something to do when cash is limited! It would cost only slightly more to get the correct block and build that, so there would be no issue with plugging oil passages and whatnot.

Originally posted by h22accordlxvtec View Post
                        so if i wanted to go vtec without doin the whole swapp wut would be the best way
                        If you want VTEC without doing a swap... buy a Prelude with an H22 in it.
                        A headswap will give you minimal gains, and if you don't know what you're doing, it could lead to serious reliability issues. Do a whole swap, get a new car, or forget about VTEC. The engine you have now has the ability to be faster than any VTEC engine anyway.

Comment

so if i have the ability to be faster than any vtec whuat should i do to the motor i have now....and is that faster with boost or n/a

Comment

Working...
                          X