Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cold Air intake?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

go with a k&n filter, any pipe will work. spend the money on the filter or you'll be suffocating your engine
    2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
    VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise
    VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise part 2
    The single largest cruise in the Midwest!
    August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Status Quo View Post
      Right now I am just looking for sound. Would I be better of going for a short air?
      you could get a filter [cone] and adapter at autozone for $25 then you can drive in the rain like this

i drive in rain a lot so i like the short ram..the long one [cold air ] has more power but you have to watch out for water

Comment

yes CAI has more power gains but i would stick with a short ram as well..heard about too many of my friends blowing their motors due to rain being sucked up by the intake being so low to the ground. play it safe and go short ram mang

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy View Post
          you could get a filter [cone] and adapter at autozone for $25 then you can drive in the rain like this

i drive in rain a lot so i like the short ram..the long one [cold air ] has more power but you have to watch out for water
          I think I am going to stick with a SRI...

Bought From:
          CB7 Sleeper
          illestatus
          HondaFan81

My Ride:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...92#post2587592

Comment

I am thinking bout SRI with K&N filter.

Thanks Guys!

Bought From:
            CB7 Sleeper
            illestatus
            HondaFan81

My Ride:
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...92#post2587592

Comment

Short ram is better IMO, when at high RPM's the motor need more velocity air, in which case when running a CAI it has to suck up all the air all the way down from the filter and the motors suffers a bit (at high rpms) even though you still get good ponies for having the filter were it not really hot, even though you still get hot air running in the motor because of the piping, unless you get some heat wrap for the intake pipe or somthing.

When the motor is at high RPM's the motor need more velocity air, in which case when running a SRI it sucks up all the air from that the filter (which is really close to the TB) and get more air at higher RPM's.....I really can't explain it good but something like that tho.

But having a CAI does change the tone of the car when you hit torque (atleast thats what I heard when I ran my CAI). As for short ram, you get the chance to avoid the rain or water.
              But when having cold air intake your risking of getting water in your filter (when it rains or there a puddle or somthing around)

But its up to you brotha, its your car your choice, I just gave you my thoughts and opinions....

Though you can also get an h23 intake manifold (if you have an f22a1 or a4) and remove the butterflies, and install it in your f22a, if you got and f22a6 you can just remove the f22a6 plenum and install an h23 plenum and remove the butterflies as well. You get more power of that to!
              Last edited by pedroalcala; 01-25-2010, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pedroalcala View Post
                short Ram Is Better Imo, When At High Rpm's The Motor Need More Velocity Air, In Which Case When Running A Cai It Has To Suck Up All The Air All The Way Down From The Filter And The Motors Suffers A Bit (at High Rpms) Even Though You Still Get Good Ponies For Having The Filter Were It Not Really Hot, Even Though You Still Get Hot Air Running In The Motor Because Of The Piping, Unless You Get Some Heat Wrap For The Intake Pipe Or Somthing.

When The Motor Is At High Rpm's The Motor Need More Velocity Air, In Which Case When Running A Sri It Sucks Up All The Air From That The Filter (which Is Really Close To The Tb) And Get More Air At Higher Rpm's.....i Really Can't Explain It Good But Something Like That Tho.

But Having A Cai Does Change The Tone Of The Car When You Hit Torque (atleast Thats What I Heard When I Ran My Cai). As For Short Ram, You Get The Chance To Avoid The Rain Or Water.
                But When Having Cold Air Intake Your Risking Of Getting Water In Your Filter (when It Rains Or There A Puddle Or Somthing Around)

But Its Up To You Brotha, Its Your Car Your Choice, I Just Gave You My Thoughts And Opinions....

Though You Can Also Get An H23 Intake Manifold (if You Have An F22a1 Or A4) And Remove The Butterflies, And Install It In Your F22a, If You Got And F22a6 You Can Just Remove The F22a6 Plenum And Install An H23 Plenum And Remove The Butterflies As Well. You Get More Power Of That To!
                X2
                92 Accord EX - SOLD

PSN: REDxMAN-_-

MR===>http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=146478

Comment

ok, so I looked at the TASPRO Hybrid intake system.. seems interesting.. BUT, there is where im confused.. The stock air box has that little inlet/outlet piece that goes beneath the fender, and I know all of you already know this. Well where i get confused is, they have the CAI and short ram for better air flow. well with the TASPRO you still have that little tiny inlet/outlet piece sucking up the air into the new filter and hose piece. So, how is the TASPRO really beneficial? It seems like all you are doing is replacing the filter with a better one and the intake hose with a metal shiny one?

I dont mean to seem ignorant, but am i wrong here? please let me know if i am

and the ebay intake set ups arent carb certified which is why i havent bought one yet.. but i think i still may take the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by barry92lx View Post
                    ok, so I looked at the TASPRO Hybrid intake system.. seems interesting.. BUT, there is where im confused.. The stock air box has that little inlet/outlet piece that goes beneath the fender, and I know all of you already know this. Well where i get confused is, they have the CAI and short ram for better air flow. well with the TASPRO you still have that little tiny inlet/outlet piece sucking up the air into the new filter and hose piece. So, how is the TASPRO really beneficial? It seems like all you are doing is replacing the filter with a better one and the intake hose with a metal shiny one?

I dont mean to seem ignorant, but am i wrong here? please let me know if i am

and the ebay intake set ups arent carb certified which is why i havent bought one yet.. but i think i still may take the risk.
                    Anything is better than stock. Just get a regular intake pipe (preferly 3" from prelude on ebay) and a K&N filter and get some decent ponies...the stock pipe is a bit restrictive, so just a get a pipe and a good brand (like K&N) filter and call it a day.

Comment

i left the bottom plastic tube beside the battery si the air could be directed to the cone filter on my sri.
                      92 Accord EX - SOLD

PSN: REDxMAN-_-

MR===>http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=146478

Comment

Originally posted by b16hatchsi View Post
                        yes CAI has more power gains but i would stick with a short ram as well..heard about too many of my friends blowing their motors due to rain being sucked up by the intake being so low to the ground. play it safe and go short ram mang
                        This is total misinformation. A CAI does not "have more gains" than a SRI. There are many factors that need to be taken into account when elaborating on which type of intake makes more power, and after all is considered, they are either close to equal in power gain, or the SRI has the upper hand. To be honest, it's hard to tell which one would make more power, because they make their power in different parts of the power band. Overall, a SRI is the best way to go, period. I will not go into detail, as I already have explained everything via PM to the OP.

Good luck with whatever you choose Mark.
                        R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Wow, now that I really read through all of these posts, I want to rip my hair out. There is so much misinformation in this thread that it is rediculous. It seems you all have just heard this about a CAI and heard that about a SRI and assumed it was all true. Most of you seem to have little to no idea how an engine works, and how an intake system is beneficial. If you had any idea how an engine worked, you'd be able to think for yourselves and realize that a lot of the things you've heard are wrong. You are posting based on what you have heard with no experience or knowledge to back up your facts, which are not true facts at all.

I don't even want to get into this right now, because I could go on forever correcting a lot of you.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
                            Wow, now that I really read through all of these posts, I want to rip my hair out. There is so much misinformation in this thread that it is rediculous. It seems you all have just heard this about a CAI and heard that about a SRI and assumed it was all true. Most of you seem to have little to no idea how an engine works, and how an intake system is beneficial. If you had any idea how an engine worked, you'd be able to think for yourselves and realize that a lot of the things you've heard are wrong. You are posting based on what you have heard with no experience or knowledge to back up your facts, which are not true facts at all.

I don't even want to get into this right now, because I could go on forever correcting a lot of you.
                            Sadly, Kevin is right. You'd be lucky to realistically see a 5whp gain from a SRI, especially after heatsoak. You'd be even luckier to realisically see 8whp increase from a cold air. They're pretty much meant to look "rather" aesthetically pleasing, and make a cool little noise

Honestly, the best way to go in my opinion, is a good drop-in filter. AEM makes good ones, the K&N ones are alright. The TAS hybrid setup is neat, as I explained and some others stated earlier. And you do pay for what you get. If you do decide to go with a 3" intake with open air filter setup, it's not so much the construction that's reflected when spending extra on a name-brand intake, it's more a matter of better fitment. But do what you feel, just don't get the wrong idea that an aftermarket intake brings some 'sw33t powur incR34s3s y0'.

life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ metadelic View Post
                              Sadly, Kevin is right. You'd be lucky to realistically see a 5whp gain from a SRI, especially after heatsoak. You'd be even luckier to realisically see 8whp increase from a cold air. They're pretty much meant to look "rather" aesthetically pleasing, and make a cool little noise

Honestly, the best way to go in my opinion, is a good drop-in filter. AEM makes good ones, the K&N ones are alright. The TAS hybrid setup is neat, as I explained and some others stated earlier. And you do pay for what you get. If you do decide to go with a 3" intake with open air filter setup, it's not so much the construction that's reflected when spending extra on a name-brand intake, it's more a matter of better fitment. But do what you feel, just don't get the wrong idea that an aftermarket intake brings some 'sw33t powur incR34s3s y0'.
                              Lol, thank you Noah, but what I am getting at is the misconception that with a SRI you are only sucking in hot engine bay air. You need to think about it, when traveling at 70 MPH down the highway, how hot do you think your engine bay is, as the outside air is traveling underneath the car creating a low pressure area and sucking the hot air out from the engine bay and a process continues etc. etc. etc. Point is, the air temperatures being sucked in with a SRI and a CAI are going to be close to identical. You aren't getting hotter air with a SRI when you take into account the temperature of the intake manifold and everything else the air has to travel through before entering the combustion chamber.

Comment

True dat. They should make a freezer-blanked for intake pipes anyway though

life is good.

Comment

Working...
                                X