Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

First time messing with a cable tranny.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time messing with a cable tranny.....

Okay so its my first time messing with a CB7 or a H22 thats in it. Heres what happened. We were tuning the H22 on a vafc and did close to 20 dyno pulls before we were done. On the way home i was starting off in first when the car jumped and made a weird noise and would not go anymore. Now the shifter feels funny and the only way i can start the car is with the clutch depressed, as soon as i let it go the car shuts off. I know my way around Hondas but not really this kinda tranny setup. I was thinking clutch but before i tear this thing apart i wanted a little more feedback. Thanks guys and gals!

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
    Okay so its my first time messing with a CB7 or a H22 thats in it. Heres what happened. We were tuning the H22 on a vafc and did close to 20 dyno pulls before we were done. On the way home i was starting off in first when the car jumped and made a weird noise and would not go anymore. Now the shifter feels funny and the only way i can start the car is with the clutch depressed, as soon as i let it go the car shuts off. I know my way around Hondas but not really this kinda tranny setup. I was thinking clutch but before i tear this thing apart i wanted a little more feedback. Thanks guys and gals!
    how the hell do you have a cable tranny in a CB??
    theyre hydraulic, and you always have to depress the clutch to start the car.

is it moving at all or just dying as soon as you let off the pedal? how much pedal is let off before dying?

i would suspect something broke internally. could be the throwout bearing/fork/fork clip/clutch disc/plate etc.....

youll probly find out as soon as you drop the tranny, which youre obviously gonna have to do anyway....

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

I believe he was referring to the shifting mechanism when he said cable, as Civics use rods for the shifting mechanism.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
        I believe he was referring to the shifting mechanism when he said cable, as Civics use rods for the shifting mechanism.
        hmmmm... makes sense.
        although it seems unrelated to his problem. even if his cables are jacked his car should still move when its in gear....

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
          Exactly.... not the cable trannys such as obd0 cars. Im in the process of dropping her now. I believe i undid the shifting mechanisim all the way, pulled the axle, slave, 3 nuts for the mount, and loosened the 2 upper tranny bolts before my daughter got home and i had to call it quits for the night. How many more tranny bolts are there that need to be taken out?

Comment

Originally posted by H22artman View Post
            hmmmm... makes sense.
            although it seems unrelated to his problem. even if his cables are jacked his car should still move when its in gear....
            it wouldnt move if its in 3,4,5th gear.but op,from what u ask i would say that u snaped a shifter cable and it stayed in gear when it snaped.try that first and hit us back.

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
              it wouldnt move if its in 3,4,5th gear.but op,from what u ask i would say that u snaped a shifter cable and it stayed in gear when it snaped.try that first and hit us back.
              where are the shifter cables? are you talking about right above the tranny?

Comment

The cables are on top of the tranny, easy to spot. Undo the cotter pins and pull the cables off. If you snapped a cable, then one end should slide out of the sheath... it'll be quite obvious, I'm sure! Snapping cables isn't common unless they were kinked, though (though with an H22 swap, it's possible that damage was done during the swap)

Another possibility is that the throwout bearing is shot. Mine went when I was 2 hours away from home, and I had to press the gas to keep it from stalling out whenever I changed gears with the clutch (I shifted without the clutch for everything but 1st). It sounds like you have the opposite problem, though.

Check the cables. If they seem to be intact, check the shifter itself, to be sure the cables didn't come off there. If it was tampered with in any way (short shifter, etc...) then that's a possibility. If it was never touched, then it's unlikely.

The clutch pedal has pressure, right? So there's no issue with the hydraulic system, if that's the case.

If those things check out, then proceed with dropping the tranny. The clutch components should all be familiar to you if you've worked on other cars, so I assume you'll know what you're looking at (and if something is bad). Obviously, if there's serious wear on the clutch disc, scoring on the flywheel or flex plate fingers, pilot bearing issues, or a fried throwout bearing... then you're going to need to replace just about everything!

If you do replace the clutch, stay away from cheapie crap like XTD and F1 on ebay. If you aren't planning on making more than 200whp anytime soon, stick with an Exedy Stage 1 or 1.5 (if they're still around) and a Fidanza flywheel. They're MUCH better than any cheapo "Stage 3" clutch you'll find from a junk brand... trust me (that stuff that blew up in my car was XTD...)

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                  where are the shifter cables? are you talking about right above the tranny?
                  there are 2 cables right above the catcoverter.they are a bitch to get to but once out it gets easyer.u have to take apart ur center consuel and un hook them from the shifter.then un hook them from the tranny(right under the air intake tubing befor the throttle body).then take the 2 10mm bolts inbetween the heat sheild and floor of the car(have to go under the car)and the 10mm bolt that is in the middle of the cables (also under the car).then do eveything u just did in reverse to put them back in.have fun god knows i did....

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    The cables are on top of the tranny, easy to spot. Undo the cotter pins and pull the cables off. If you snapped a cable, then one end should slide out of the sheath... it'll be quite obvious, I'm sure! Snapping cables isn't common unless they were kinked, though (though with an H22 swap, it's possible that damage was done during the swap)

Another possibility is that the throwout bearing is shot. Mine went when I was 2 hours away from home, and I had to press the gas to keep it from stalling out whenever I changed gears with the clutch (I shifted without the clutch for everything but 1st). It sounds like you have the opposite problem, though.

Check the cables. If they seem to be intact, check the shifter itself, to be sure the cables didn't come off there. If it was tampered with in any way (short shifter, etc...) then that's a possibility. If it was never touched, then it's unlikely.

The clutch pedal has pressure, right? So there's no issue with the hydraulic system, if that's the case.

If those things check out, then proceed with dropping the tranny. The clutch components should all be familiar to you if you've worked on other cars, so I assume you'll know what you're looking at (and if something is bad). Obviously, if there's serious wear on the clutch disc, scoring on the flywheel or flex plate fingers, pilot bearing issues, or a fried throwout bearing... then you're going to need to replace just about everything!

If you do replace the clutch, stay away from cheapie crap like XTD and F1 on ebay. If you aren't planning on making more than 200whp anytime soon, stick with an Exedy Stage 1 or 1.5 (if they're still around) and a Fidanza flywheel. They're MUCH better than any cheapo "Stage 3" clutch you'll find from a junk brand... trust me (that stuff that blew up in my car was XTD...)
                    Very helpful post. I have done everything you said so its something internal. Looks like the clutch is gettin replaced very soon! Thanks guys!!!

On a side note ive had a XTD stage 5 in the racecar for a year now and shes still holding strong. Must be luck of the draw i guess.

Comment

I didn't even know they went to Stage 5! I had a Stage 3. The throwout bearing seized, and pretty much fried everything else.

I replaced it with an XTD Stage 1, just because my friend that lives across the street happened to have it in his basement, brand new. I used a throwout bearing from Honda, though. I compared the two, and the difference in build quality is astounding!
                      It won't be in there for long, though... I plan on rebuilding or replacing just about everything under the hood.

Comment

Working...
                      X