Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Steering wheel vibration, CV Halfshaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel vibration, CV Halfshaft?

I have a 92 LX with a bad CV Halfshaft. It's been knocking while turning for a while now, I just haven't been able to afford to fix it. Recently though, my car is starting to shake. Around 15 MPH, the steering wheel starts shaking violently, and it calms down the faster I go. I think though that it's not calming down, but shaking so much faster that it feels like it has calmed down some. Could that have anything to do with my CV Halshaft? I'm on a budget to get this fixed and semi in a hurry because I go to school which is a little bit of a drive and it makes me nervous to drive the car like it is currently. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rayvis

Originally posted by Rayvis View Post
    I have a 92 LX with a bad CV Halfshaft. It's been knocking while turning for a while now, I just haven't been able to afford to fix it. Recently though, my car is starting to shake. Around 15 MPH, the steering wheel starts shaking violently, and it calms down the faster I go. I think though that it's not calming down, but shaking so much faster that it feels like it has calmed down some. Could that have anything to do with my CV Halshaft? I'm on a budget to get this fixed and semi in a hurry because I go to school which is a little bit of a drive and it makes me nervous to drive the car like it is currently. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rayvis
    they're like 70 bucks at checkers....about 2 full tanks of gas, you can't afford that?

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
      they're like 70 bucks at checkers....about 2 full tanks of gas, you can't afford that?
      Actually, not right now I can't. I'm currently an unemployed full time college student with a 3 month old son and am barely getting by. And by barely getting by, I mean I don't get some things I need to make sure my son has diapers and things. The economy here is complete garbage and despite the numerous applications I've turned in and called back to check on, noone is really hiring anyone right now.

I do however have a little extra money for the first time since I don't reember when so I'm trying to pinpoint this to fix it before my troubles become a lot worse.

Thanks,
      Rayvis

Comment

Originally posted by Rayvis View Post
        Actually, not right now I can't. I'm currently an unemployed full time college student with a 3 month old son and am barely getting by. And by barely getting by, I mean I don't get some things I need to make sure my son has diapers and things. The economy here is complete garbage and despite the numerous applications I've turned in and called back to check on, noone is really hiring anyone right now.

I do however have a little extra money for the first time since I don't reember when so I'm trying to pinpoint this to fix it before my troubles become a lot worse.

Thanks,
        Rayvis
        oh, sorry man. Try looking online at craigslist for a guy parting out a 90-93 accord. You might get lucky and find a used one for like 20-30 bucks?

member's ride thread
        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
          oh, sorry man. Try looking online at craigslist for a guy parting out a 90-93 accord. You might get lucky and find a used one for like 20-30 bucks?
          I could afford a new one right now if needed. My concern is whether or not the part is what could be causing my car to vibrate like it is now? It just started recently after a couple snows here that required me to walk my car up the hill to my house by turning the wheel left then right while giving it a lot of gas making the CV knock wildly, which is why I'm thinking it could have worsened it even more to cause the vibration problem.

Comment

do you hear a thumping sound? it could possibly be your tires being separated, but I have no way of knowing. The only rotating things are your tires, wheels, and the CV halfshaft. so its one of those three things.

Are your wheels bent? are your tires in good shape?

If you already know your axle is bad, then replacing it seems like a step in the right direction.

But you can visually inspect your tires/wheels and see if thats it first.

member's ride thread
            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Check the tie rod ends too. That could cause the wheel to vibrate if it's bad enough.

And not trying to make you sound stupid or anything, but the wheel nuts are tight, right?

Also, I don't see how an axle would cause the steering wheel to shake. Sure, you'll get a vibration, but it wouldn't happen through the steering wheel, right?

Comment

Originally posted by JPsAccordSE View Post
                Check the tie rod ends too. That could cause the wheel to vibrate if it's bad enough.

And not trying to make you sound stupid or anything, but the wheel nuts are tight, right?

Also, I don't see how an axle would cause the steering wheel to shake. Sure, you'll get a vibration, but it wouldn't happen through the steering wheel, right?
                Lug nuts are tight. I just know that my steering wheel shakes as well as what feels like the whole car. At the lower speeds, it feels similar to the steering wheel being tugged left and right, more than just a little vibration.

Another thing I meant to add to my original post, but seem to have forgotten is that when I am turning, no matter the speed, the shaking almost ceases completely. Not sure if that has any relevance toward pinpointing the problem, but when the wheel is turned, no more shaking.

Comment

Have you had a wheel balance done?
                  Also check your engine mounts.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

i would rotate your tires to see if the vibration moves to the back... it's free if u do it yourself, and it's a good first diagnostic step... if nothing changes you might try checking your wheel bearings... jack up the wheel under the control arm and give the wheel a shake grabbing at 12 and 6 o'clock, then check your tie rods by shaking at 3 and 9 o'clock.
                    91 EX Coupe 5 Speed
                    My Ride Thread

ASE Certified Master Tech Since 2005

Originally posted by deevergote
                    That's like watching a guy stick his head up his own ass. Impressive... but why?
                    Bought From: Quakerjoe , MikeW

Comment

it sounds to me that the cv wore out to the point that it's not in place anymore and when you make a turn in pops back in and straighten up it comes out again happens alot when people just let it go to the point that ur at now then they come to the shop sayin I'm not sure what happened it been makeing this clicking noise for a while and then it just stop running just last week we had a guy bring in a car with the lower ball joint broken due to not changein his cv the vibration was so much the the ball joint just separated and the axle finish breakin while he was on the highway doin 65mph good thing he was an experienced enough of a driver to keep control of the car consider when the ball joint broke the chassi was on the ground but I got off topic I would get a used cv off CL or a JY if I were you

Comment

Ok, so the shake/vibration problem was caused by tires, well one tire. I moved my backs to the front and fronts to the back, and there is little to no vibration now. Tires will cost me 150 each, but this guy on CL is selling 4 rims with tires, 80% tread left. They are bigger than my current wheels though. I am wondering if they'd fit my CB7 without scrubbing.

They are 18x7.5 with a bolt pattern of 4-100/114.3

I don't know a lot about wheels for these CB7's because the 16's on my car now were on it when I purchased it years ago.

Comment

That should fit, as long as the tires aren't too large (what's the aspect ratio of the tires?), and the offset isn't crazy. Do you know what the wheels were on previously?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            That should fit, as long as the tires aren't too large (what's the aspect ratio of the tires?), and the offset isn't crazy. Do you know what the wheels were on previously?
                            Not sure what they were on previously, but the tire size is 225/40R18 and the offset of the wheels is +42.

Comment

That offset should work just fine. I belive my 17" wheels have a +42 offset as well. If you turn VERY sharply, and your fender splash shields are still in place, you may rub... but don't turn your wheel full lock too often and you'll be fine there.

225 is quite wide, though. My wheels are 7.5" wide, and I ran 215s. 225 should fit, but it will add to the potential rubbing when turning.

My 17s also ran a 40 aspect ratio, and yours are 18s... so you'll added height to those tires as well. My 17s should have had 45s, so you might be alright with 40 on 18s. I'm not sure what would be preferable... 35 or 40...

Is your car lowered? If you're stock height, then you probably have nothing at all to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                              X