Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Whats the other way taking out a spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the other way taking out a spring

Is there any other way to take a spring out without a spring compresser, I already know whats the danger comes through it. I take all my safely percaution very serious but today I wanted to go unsafe&ghetto in a rush because I dont want to rent a spring compresser & dont have cash at this moment. Is there any other way taking out the spring without using a spring compresser, Im not running oem springs so it has less tension on the spring.

You could get someone heavy to put weight on the spring, compressing it a bit, then tie it securely with some very strong rope or wire. Then aim the nut away from you (into a trash can with a blanket stuffed into it) while you loosen it.

This is still a VERY VERY VERY bad idea. If the nut ricochets and hits you in the eye, goodbye eye. If the spring comes loose and bounces up, it will shatter bones... most likely in your face. If renting a spring compressor is too expensive and time consuming for you, a trip to the hospital is probably much more so!

Honestly, just go to Autozone (or something similar) and rent the compressor. You're in So-Cal... there has to be one within 10 minutes of you. Most places will let you rent it for free, with a refundable $40 deposit. Borrow $40, get the compressor, use it, return it, get the $40 back, and return that to the person you borrowed it from.

Comment

This is the one I use. Find a shop that has one and see if they will let you use it.

Comment

I'll probrally wait & save up. I dont want to lose my face or die just changing springs. My friend was hit by the bolt in 2006, he was stupid enough to not use a spring compresser. The bolt flew up the wall & crack his skull but lucky he was still alive just have scars on top his head.

Comment

Good choice. My friend launched the spring into the ceiling of his shop a few years ago. It is still there to this day.

Comment

Yeah, it's really not worth the risk.

The first time I did my suspension, I did exactly what I suggested in my first reply... it was the very first thing I ever did to my car, and I followed my friend's suggestion. He was coming from 2 hours away to sell me the stuff and help install it, and the autoparts store down the street didn't have a compressor (they were closing... being changed to an Autozone...)

I changed a blown strut myself without a compressor as well... also managed to do it without getting hurt.

It was dumb. I was lucky. I don't want to see anyone get hurt because they weren't as lucky as me!

Comment

Working...
            X