Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22A6 Owners: Question about F22/H23 hybrid IM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22A6 Owners: Question about F22/H23 hybrid IM

I've been hunting around the forums for quite some time getting information on the h23 intake manifold swap, and I found the h23 IM Swap DIY. I read through it, and it looks like a FULL intake manifold swap (Runners, plenum, throttle body, etc.). I'm not too savvy with engine stuff yet, so it looks like he took off a lot of stuff.

I have also found out about people who have made the hybrid F22/H23 Intake Manifold by using the runners from the A6 and the plenum from the H23.

I have an F22A6 engine in my car, with around 270,000 miles on it.

This leads me to my questions about the swap: For those of you who have the F22A6 engine and have gone the hybrid IM route (keeping A6 runners),

1) What did you have to do? Did you have to remove anything else besides the plenum (upper part) and all attached hoses? or is that part pretty isolated from other important things enough where you could simply swap the plenums in and out fairly easy without having to worry about unbolting other things, such as the fuel rail?
    ~This question I'm asking because in the DIY, the person removed a lot of stuff and I am unsure if those parts are connected to the plenum or the runners. I'm wondering if having the F22A6 intake manifold already installed would mean I wouldn't have to remove the lower part of the intake manifold or other things, such as removing the fuel rail or draining the coolant.

Thanks in advance to those who respond to this thread regarding my question, and I really appreciate it. I've been looking all around for the answer, but all i've come across are little posts of people who said they've done it and that big DIY.
    Last edited by P5ylance; 01-12-2010, 05:00 PM.
    blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

If you are just swapping the plenum, all you will have to remove are a couple of vacuum lines and reroute a coolant line or two (since the FITV on the A6 is on the plenum and the H23 moves it to the underside of the throttle body).

No need to fiddle with the injectors or fuel rail since you aren't swapping the runners.
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Oh okay, thanks a lot! that makes it much more simpler, haha
      Good to know that I'll be able to do it

Comment

No problem.

Yeah it's a lot easier for you guys with the A6 with the intake already installed vs. everyone else who has the single runner design.

Comment

yeahh, i'm pretty glad it's already in there haha

Just confirming, would these be the only gaskets I need?

1x TB gasket (planning on cleaning the h23 throttle body)

~If not double-stacking~

2x IAB gaskets (one gasket between the plenum and the IAB plate, another gasket between the IAB plat and the runners)

~If double-stacking~

3x IAB gaskets (one gasket between the plenum and the first IAB plate, one gasket between the double-stacked IAB plates, one gasket between the second IAB plate and the runners)

Comment

Yep that is all the gaskets you will need.

And just a suggestion, you might want to look at getting new O-rings/gaskets for the FITV, IACV, and starter/air boost valve... depending on the age and condition of the plenum those rubber bits tend to be a bit dried up.

Comment

did my swap H23 intake and TB swap and LOVED IT!!!
              Last edited by StinkinLincoln; 01-14-2010, 12:28 AM.

1990 Accord LX Sedan~Sold
              1993 Accord EX Sedan~Sold
              1995 Suzuki GSX-R 750~Totaled

Comment

hehe my bad, i've been checkin' through hella threads for more information, now i'm lookin into DOUBLE-STACKING!

@frootloops: oh okay, so check the condition of those rubber bits, and replace things while i'm in that area. thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate the help!

@stinkinlincoln: hahaha cool! how does it ride now? did you come across any particular difficulties when doing your swap? does it feel like a new car now? haha I cleaned my throttle body not too long ago and it noticeably performed much better than i had expected (and my throttle body wasn't even all that grimey, i could still see the metal!)

Comment

hi i got a bolt set from here http://www.blacktrax.net/products/IntakeSpacer.html for the double stack thay also have spacers the botls were about $15 ..i got gaskets from tas http://www.tasauto.com/ about 9.95 for them.....both had fast shipping and fair pricing

Comment

oh sweet, so instead of getting used bolts off that prelude and some ac compressor bolts, i can get some fresh ones? niceeee.

I'm lookin' at the gutted IAB plate spacer DIY, I hope it's as easy as it looks.

Comment

yep new bolts and spacer the bolts ..at black tracks i called them got it in 3 days ..i`m sure thay might have gasket also and alen head in the bolts
                      Last edited by Teddy; 01-13-2010, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Yeah get new, they are easy to find.

I decided to go with something a bit different and got these:

I'll probably end up going through the intake manifold again and redoing some stuff and get different bolts.

Comment

black tracks has black ones ..and a nice female to order from

Comment

@teddy: haha! but most importantly... the female to order from.

@frootloops: glimmers like a sun... MADE OF DIAMONDS!

I'm beginning to rethink double-stacking as of this moment for two/three reasons

1) I thought about the worst case scenario of the JBWeld coming apart from the DIY plenum spacer and falling into my engine and causing MASSIVE DAMAGE. And I'm paranoid about potentially loose parts in my engine (it's my only car :[ )

2) Clearance issues with a front strut bar. Don't have one yet, but I'll hold off on the double-stacking until I know for sure it'll clear.

3) To be safe, I'd get that blacktrax spacer, but... at $75 dollars I can't justify the purchase as of this broke ass moment haha!

But damn those new bolts sure look shiny...

A quick question about the purposes of spacers and different length runners:

What is the difference between shorter and longer runners in regards to low-end, mid-range, and top-end? is it...

Longer runners = more power in the low-end?
                            Shorter runners = more power in top-end?

I searched for this question in the threads and above is what I got, but on the blacktrax page for this spacer, it says it "Increased Mid and Top End HP and TQ Curves"

so now i'm a little confused.

Comment

I'm using A6 runners, gutted and JB Welded IAB Plate (as my spacer) , the stock A6 IAB and a H23 Plenum/TB.......OMG IT PULLS~~!!! Much gain over stock A6 parts...

Oh and just pick up the Blacktrax Bolt kit thats what I did!!

I'll upload pics soon....
                              Last edited by StinkinLincoln; 01-14-2010, 12:29 AM.

1990 Accord LX Sedan~Sold
                              1993 Accord EX Sedan~Sold
                              1995 Suzuki GSX-R 750~Totaled

Comment

Working...
                              X