Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

how do i remove stock springs..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i remove stock springs..

i want to remove stock springs and install skunk2 springs... how is this done and do i really need a spring compressor?

I love the search button.
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=179

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

If you want to shoot yourself in the face with a bolt, or break your hand with a spring... then no, you don't need a spring compressor.

However, if you'd like to change the springs without injuring yourself, then it would be a very good idea to get one. They are free to borrow from any autoparts store.

You remove the spring/shock assembly, compress the spring, use an allen wrench to hold the stock shock in place, and twist off the retaining nut.

I really hope you're not planning on lowering the car on 18 year old stock shocks... as that would be very stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

I really hope you're not planning on lowering the car on 18 year old stock shocks... as that would be very stupid.
        why would it be?

Comment

Puts ALOT more strain on your shocks that are not meant for that. You'll blow one in no time as i mention in the thread before this.

Comment

Do you really have to ask that?

If you lower your car on 18 year old shocks, they will blow... if they're not already blown. Even brand new, they are not valved to be any lower than stock height.

A blown shock will cause your tires to leave the ground when going over bumps, taking hard corners, or hard braking. Basically, if you don't replace your shocks when you lower your car, you will significantly increase your chance of crashing.

Shocks aren't just there for comfort. They are extremely important for safety.

Comment

Originally posted by 809king View Post
              why would it be?
              Seriously?

OEM shocks are meant to perform well with OEM springs. If you put drop springs on OEM shocks, they'll blow. If you put higher rate springs on OEM shocks, it'll be a very shitty ride, and they'll blow.

Simply put = They'll blow (if they aren't already), the ride will be shitty, it won't be safe.

1999 BMW M3
              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

haha yeah dude i just bought a spring compressor cuz the one autozone gives you is too big grrrrrrrr lol i know a shop that charges 100 bux to put lowering springs on and im ordering my skunk 2s when i get paaaiiiidddd but i just put new shocks on...so ima blow em and buy better ones later :] pics when ur done man...good luck

.My Ride.

Comment

I've used the "too big" ones before. You just pry apart the coils to jam it in there.

The first time I did it, I used a nylon dog leash. EXTREMELY STUPID. I was lucky, and didn't get hurt.

Comment

Everybody says you need a spring compressor, but for our STOCK OEM SPRINGS, I've found it's not dangerous at all to remove the springs with no compressor as long as you use a socket wrench on the strut nut. There's not alot of rebound left after they're fully extended. I put a outside door mat over the whole assembly and put a foot on top of this, then just slowly turn the strut bolt off with the socket wrench, really not a big deal, the spring assembly will move a tiny bit when it lets go and the socket wrench will catch the nut.

Please note that I only do this on spring assemblies that I can stand up on the ground and compress the spring enough with my hands to release it from its seat. That's what tells me there's not much pressure on them. If I can't compress them by hand I use a spring compressor.
                    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

I've taken apart stock assemblies and had that nut shoot off with quite a bit of force.

Honestly, for something that you can borrow for free (a returnable deposit of $40 I think it is), why risk it?

Comment

I've taken apart stock assemblies and had that nut shoot off with quite a bit of force.

Honestly, for something that you can borrow for free (a returnable deposit of $40 I think it is), why risk it?
                        The key is using a socket wrench to both catch and greatly dampen the force of the nut....really makes it a very safe procedure.

In general though I completely agree with you. I can see people who are less mechanically inclined just taking it apart with an open end wrench and killing their wife when it lets loose. I always recommend a spring compressor for these people.
                        My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

I did it that way once... whacked my knuckles something fierce when it broke loose and took the wrench with it!

I also assembled springs using my "fat guy weight" to compress it while my friends tightened the nut.

Aftermarket shocks are so much easier. No stupid allen wrench to worry about!

Comment

I also assembled springs using my "fat guy weight" to compress it while my friends tightened the nut.
                            Hey, it works! I used this method recently for my H&R sport springs. Had to compress them about 1.5". It would have been alot easier if I had an extra person to put the nut on.
                            My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Those are the springs I did it to With KYB AGX. That setup is now on 93twodoorLX's car.

Comment

Working...
                              X