Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Where to buy F22b dohc engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy F22b dohc engine?

So I finally settled on getting the F22b dohc engine to replace my worn out F22a4 engine. Now my question is where should I get it from? I was considering a couple of places that came up on my google search: Tiger Japanese ,JDM Engine Corp, Sunrise Japanese Motors, and JDM Engine Depot. Has anybody heard anything about these places? Don't want to get screwed over. Thanks

If the company is located in Canada, as most of them are, it might be unwise to buy from them. If you get a bad engine, and they won't do the right thing and replace it or refund your money, there's really nothing you can do about it. An international lawsuit would be far too expensive.

www.hmotorsonline.com is the only place I would trust, personally. I've heard of people getting screwed by all of the companies you listed (aside from Sunrise, I've never heard of them). Some have luck, some do not. hmotors, often referred to as HMO, is the most honorable. They are located in California, and Steve will definitely take care of you. If you don't see the F22B on their site, call... I'm sure they can get one for you.

Comment

Never had any problems with Tiger Japanese. A friend of mine got an engine with a bad head gasket but they replaced it. Their customer service does suck though. Just something to take into consideration.
      R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Yea I've heard of tiger japanese horror stories, but mainly on the forums from kids with civics when i had my civic so idk how they'd be with an F series motor..Never heard anything bad about hmotors look into them

life is good.

Comment

We've had a few H22s from Tiger with serious issues. We've had quite a few that have been perfectly fine, too. When HMO is an option, I don't see the need to go anywhere else. They may not be the cheapest, but the peace of mind that comes from KNOWING you're going to get a good engine (or at least if it's not good, they'll make it right) is well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
            Never had any problems with Tiger Japanese. A friend of mine got an engine with a bad head gasket but they replaced it. Their customer service does suck though. Just something to take into consideration.
            If the engine had a bad head gasket, what other problems may have come from it? Overheating, water in the combustion chambers... Also, head gaskets generally don't blow after "35-45k miles"... so it's likely that the mileage figure given is grossly inaccurate. "JDM" engines can be sourced from other countries... countries that don't have strict taxation like Japan... that make it possible to put considerably more mileage on an engine. Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia... all common recipients of JDM vehicles. If I were an engine importer, I'd much rather speak to someone that speaks my language! I'd deal with Australia and New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              If the engine had a bad head gasket, what other problems may have come from it? Overheating, water in the combustion chambers... Also, head gaskets generally don't blow after "35-45k miles"... so it's likely that the mileage figure given is grossly inaccurate. "JDM" engines can be sourced from other countries... countries that don't have strict taxation like Japan... that make it possible to put considerably more mileage on an engine. Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia... all common recipients of JDM vehicles. If I were an engine importer, I'd much rather speak to someone that speaks my language! I'd deal with Australia and New Zealand.
              Yea, true. I am getting my F20a DOHC from tiger though, due to the fact that they are only $390. But Cisco will be inspecting it for me thoroughly before replacing every gasket, seal, etc. with over $450 of OEM parts. This is including of course, vacuum hoses, spark plug wires, timing belt, water pump, balance shaft delete, and every other part needed to get it to be CB7 ready.

You wouldn't be too smart to get an engine from anywhere and just dropping it in before doing preventative maintenance and such. HMO would be a good choice though, for the piece of mind factor. I don't think other places like Tiger are necessarily a bad choice though. Everybody seems to have some sort of a horror story. HMO would probably be the best choice for you OP.

Comment

Thanks for the info. guys.

Comment

Originally posted by HondaMechanic View Post
                  Thanks for the info. guys.
                  No problem man. Good luck with your purchase, if you decide to go through with it.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
                    Yea, true. I am getting my F20a DOHC from tiger though, due to the fact that they are only $390. But Cisco will be inspecting it for me thoroughly before replacing every gasket, seal, etc. with over $450 of OEM parts. This is including of course, vacuum hoses, spark plug wires, timing belt, water pump, balance shaft delete, and every other part needed to get it to be CB7 ready.

You wouldn't be too smart to get an engine from anywhere and just dropping it in before doing preventative maintenance and such. HMO would be a good choice though, for the piece of mind factor. I don't think other places like Tiger are necessarily a bad choice though. Everybody seems to have some sort of a horror story. HMO would probably be the best choice for you OP.
                    Holy crap, they're that cheap now! Wow. I thought they were still hovering in the 600-700 range! Of course, add $200-$300 for shipping, and there's $600-$700.

Comment

Holy crap, they're that cheap now! Wow. I thought they were still hovering in the 600-700 range! Of course, add $200-$300 for shipping, and there's $600-$700.
                      Actually, it's this cheap Deev, for me anyway.

F20a DOHC Engine - $390
                      F22a Automatic Transmission - $120
                      Shipping and Handling - Only $120 for both!

Very Very Cheap. $630 total.

Comment

Ah, yes... Canada to Michigan is pretty cheap to ship!

NJ is fairly cheap, because we have seaports in Philly and Elizabeth at our disposal.

Comment

Ah, yes... Canada to Michigan is pretty cheap to ship!

NJ is fairly cheap, because we have seaports in Philly and Elizabeth at our disposal.
                          Lol, yea. They don't gotta make too much of a trip to get to me.

Wouldn't be too hard to get to you either I suppose. I think Tiger's shipping deal is pretty sweet. If you buy a motor and transmission, you only pay the shipping on the engine. Nice deal if you ask me.

Comment

They keep their prices low so they can make their money in volume.
                            The low prices also mean that their engines are from cheaper sources, and probably aren't tested extensively.

Comment

They keep their prices low so they can make their money in volume.
                              The low prices also mean that their engines are from cheaper sources, and probably aren't tested extensively.
                              True, but for someone who plans on overhauling or building the engine extensively, I don't think it really matters. For someone that just wants a drop in swap, it is definitely a big deal. For those guys, HMO would be the best source. For me, Tiger will do.

Comment

Working...
                              X