Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What's wrong with my clutch/tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with my clutch/tranny

So I'm leaving work earlier tonight and as I'm leaving the parking lot into the road in first gear I heard a horrible "SNAP" then my car would not move. I pushed it back to the parking lot and tried all the gears, nothing. There were no weird noises before this happened nor are there any now and there were no troubles with the clutch or tranny before this happened; this wasn't something that progressively got worse. Also If I put it in gear and give it gas, I get a false speedometer reading.
    93 ex sedan, manual transmission,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

axle.
    MadLab Racing
    Southern Maryland

Comment

i agree sounds like an axle snapped. i've seen them break where the splines are machined in the end.

Comment

so to illaberate.
        check your driver side axle, intermediate shaft, passenger axle.
        MadLab Racing
        Southern Maryland

Comment

One thing I didn't mention... If I shift into gear and release the the clutch pedal with no gas it will not stall. Like it remains in neutral the entire time. This is what steered me toward a clutch or tranny problem.
          I'll be happy as hell if its just an axle though. Thats about all I can afford this week. Fingers crossed
          Last edited by des0ne; 12-17-2009, 01:24 AM.

Comment

will it start with no clutch action?
            MadLab Racing
            Southern Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by drummersteve7 View Post
              You know, I didnt check. Its down the road at my office right now and its super cold out right now so I'm going to have to check in the morning. But lets say, just for S and G's, that it does start with no clutch action. your thoughts?

Comment

then your assumption is correct, it has to do with clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing or flywheel.

and since you got a crazy snap, that is my assumption anyways.
                the axle will snap but they are good for larger torque numbers than you are most probably acquiring.
                MadLab Racing
                Southern Maryland

Comment

Damn. This crap always happens right before christmas too!

Comment

Originally posted by des0ne View Post
                    Damn. This crap always happens right before christmas too!
                    axel snaping sucks man.mine snaped on the highway on the way to work.the car pulled so hard to the left lane thought i was gonna hit the rail.you got lucky man.

my new turbo build

Comment

well I doubt your axle snapped. Its pretty hard to snap an axle in a manual trans car. I know what it feels like when the axle snaps in an Auto car, it happend on my H22 when I neutral dropped it lol. But I was still able to move the car, it just made a clunk clunk sound...since I had an LSD in there.

Its most likely something related w/ the clutch.

btw, your car can still move if you let out on the clutch REALLY slowly without giving it gas. My car can and its got an 8lb Fidanza flywheel.

It could be one of your shift cables that snapped? causing it not to go into gear anymore.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by drummersteve7 View Post
                        Well I just got in the car and started it. It will not start unless the clutch pedal is down

Comment

There's a switch that causes the car to start only when the clutch pedal is depressed. That doesn't indicate that anythinhg other than that switch is functional.

Jack the car up and crawl under. See if anything is visibly broken.

Have you had any previous transmission issues? Grinding, difficult shifting, popping out of gear, etc...?
                          Have you done any modifications to your transmission? Short shifter, lightweight flywheel, heavy duty clutch and/or pressure plate? Have you changed the fluid, or have you at least checked to make sure it's full?
                          Have you replaced your axles any time recently?
                          Have you swapped engines or transmissions? (improperly mounting either could cause issues with axle geometry)

You told us that you heard a snap and it won't go into gear. These guys are doing a good job trying to diagnose a problem with next to no information. It would help GREATLY if you gave more details.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            There's a switch that causes the car to start only when the clutch pedal is depressed. That doesn't indicate that anythinhg other than that switch is functional.

Jack the car up and crawl under. See if anything is visibly broken.

Have you had any previous transmission issues? Grinding, difficult shifting, popping out of gear, etc...?
                            Have you done any modifications to your transmission? Short shifter, lightweight flywheel, heavy duty clutch and/or pressure plate? Have you changed the fluid, or have you at least checked to make sure it's full?
                            Have you replaced your axles any time recently?
                            Have you swapped engines or transmissions? (improperly mounting either could cause issues with axle geometry)

You told us that you heard a snap and it won't go into gear. These guys are doing a good job trying to diagnose a problem with next to no information. It would help GREATLY if you gave more details.
                            No mods, no swaps. Axles replaced 3 weeks ago along with fluid checks during tune up. Axles are GSP from advance auto, and no previous transmission issues as stated above.
                            I am not deliberately with holding information from you and I never mentioned anything about these guys doing anything less then a great job

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                              well I doubt your axle snapped. Its pretty hard to snap an axle in a manual trans car. I know what it feels like when the axle snaps in an Auto car, it happend on my H22 when I neutral dropped it lol. But I was still able to move the car, it just made a clunk clunk sound...since I had an LSD in there.

Its most likely something related w/ the clutch.

btw, your car can still move if you let out on the clutch REALLY slowly without giving it gas. My car can and its got an 8lb Fidanza flywheel.

It could be one of your shift cables that snapped? causing it not to go into gear anymore.
                              Im gonna have to call that one it is easyer than you would think to bust an axle i have done it and it sounds like the same thing when i snapped the inside knuckle of my driverside axel the inner part was still on the car so i acted like it wanted to go but couldnt cause there was only one axel hooked up. the car was an 89 lx accord .. and after i had the shop fix that they forgot to refill the trans fluid and i locked the trans up in gear but if you put it in neutral it was in second gear and i drove it like that for 2 weeks ( really weird ) but i would start with the axel then check clutch and if nothing still check trans..your cables sound fine cause you would loose your shift pattern if they broke you would know it. just my .02

Comment

Working...
                              X