Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Quick colored brake pads question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick colored brake pads question

Quick question, not-so-quick post hehe.

I just heard my brakes start grinding last night. I plan on boosting my CB and I suppose I'll start with the brake system (whatever that entails lol) since it doesn't make sense for me to get basic brakes put on now when I'm going to swap them out for high performance stuff later. I guess the H22 is gunna hafta wait a bit longer...

Anyway, my question is about colored brake pads. In another thread, deevergote posted a link to tasauto's brake section. That's when I saw the colored brake pads here:

http://tasauto.com/Product/Browse.aspx?d=1777&p=2

I don't know how to explain this because I don't know what I'm talking about, so I hope you guys can understand what I'm asking. I've seen (through the wheels of cars) something that has to do with the brakes that are colored. Mostly orange or red. Are these the actual pads? I always thought they were the brake pad holder thingies (yea, lolz all you want... I'm a good sport when it comes to my ignorance lol. Really, you can lol at me).

I was planning on getting a brake kit and some colored brake pads if the colored things I am seeing are indeed the brake pads. If not, then what is the point of colored brake pads?

Thanks much for any info. You guys have always helped me in time of need. Hopefully, one day, I'll have the experience to where I can actually contribute to the site rather than just take information all the time.

The holder thing is the caliper. People often paint them.

The colored pads are EBC brand pads. Their "Green Stuff" and "Red Stuff" pads are their trademark items. Colors really have nothing to do with brake pads... it's just EBC's thing. The green pads are more for a street application, whereas the red pads are more performance oriented.

If you go EBC, get the green ones. Personally, I'm not a fan of the brand. My 86 Accord had EBC pads on it, and the pad material came off, scoring a new Brembo rotor.

I would look into pads from Brembo or Hawk.

Comment

Idk about the other people but I'm running EBC green stuff pads. I think EBC has a red and a yellow line also. Also the thing that hold the pads are calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

Akebono Street Performance pads are actually very good as well. They are quiet, relatively low dust, and they have excellent friction properties. They could easily out-brake my tires.

Comment

Caliper holds the pad, this is what people usually paint, as stated above. I've used EBC green stuff pads and didn't have any problems, however I think the brembo pads I'm using now stop better.
          R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

The holder thing is the caliper. People often paint them.

The colored pads are EBC brand pads. Their "Green Stuff" and "Red Stuff" pads are their trademark items. Colors really have nothing to do with brake pads... it's just EBC's thing. The green pads are more for a street application, whereas the red pads are more performance oriented.

If you go EBC, get the green ones. Personally, I'm not a fan of the brand. My 86 Accord had EBC pads on it, and the pad material came off, scoring a new Brembo rotor.

Awesome. Thanks again, deevergote. You always come through for me hehe.

Thanks to everyone else as well. I really appreciate the info.

Ahh, calipers. Guess I should've known that. I thought calipers were what changed the angle of the tire lol.

Anyway, I've been doing some more research and I think I'm just going to get the entire brake system changed. I'm leaking brake fluid and I assume that's coming from bad brake lines. I know I can't go to a brake shop and get just the pads changed. Unless you go into a Midas or Hibdon's with a brand new car, they're going to tell you you need new rotors lol.

Sheesh... I'm never going to get my new engine at this rate. I was not expecting to have to have to pay $1k-S1.5k for just the front brakes alone lol. I don't mind paying a lot to make my CB7 nice, but my brakes were supposed to come AFTER the H22.

Btw, I can't seem to add to your rep, deevergote. It says I need to spread some around first. I got everyone else though. Thanks again, folks!

Comment

Camber is what changes the angle of the tire bud. I can see how you got it mixed up though, no worries.

1k to 1.5k seems pretty steep to me for new brakes. But then again, that's something I'd do myself.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
                Camber is what changes the angle of the tire bud. I can see how you got it mixed up though, no worries.

1k to 1.5k seems pretty steep to me for new brakes. But then again, that's something I'd do myself.
                D'oh! At least I got the C right!

The price was for the Brembo brake kits. I can't find the link anymore, but now I'm seeing them for 2k-3k lol.

I've eventually going to put new wheels on my car. I haven't even thought about which ones because I'm more concerned with the engine right now (I have 240k on my F22 now). But I am going to put bigger wheels on it. Will this change what brake system I need?

Comment

Are you looking at Brembo "big brake" kits? You really don't need that... they're extremely expensive, and unless your car is making lots of power, and is driven in a manner that needs it (like on a race track), it's not necessary. It'd be cool for looks... but that's about it.

If you want a usable upgrade, invest in the TASauto.com ROH conversion kit. It makes changing the front rotors MUCH easier than the stock setup.

Comment

Are you looking at Brembo "big brake" kits? You really don't need that... they're extremely expensive, and unless your car is making lots of power, and is driven in a manner that needs it (like on a race track), it's not necessary. It'd be cool for looks... but that's about it.

If you want a usable upgrade, invest in the TASauto.com ROH conversion kit. It makes changing the front rotors MUCH easier than the stock setup.
                    I was just about to suggest this kit from TASauto.com. lol

The brembo big brake kits are definitely expensive, and not really necessary like deev said. But it would look sick.

Comment

Ahh ok. It was the big brake kits. Yeah, they certainly look cool, and I'll likely get them eventually, but everything on my CB is stock except for the exhaust. Glad to know I don't they're a luxury item.

So would this work:

http://tasauto.com/Product/Detail.as...300&d=1777&p=1

It's the performance version, but I figure I'll need them in within the next 6 months or so (hopefully three hehe). Also, can I put different calipers on my car and use that kit? I assume I can but I wanna make sure.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

As long as the new calipers are the same size as the stock calipers. you might as well get the big brake ROH kit from TASauto if youre getting new calipers. It comes with them, and it's not as expensive as the brembo kits.

Comment

Working...
                        X