Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Leaking problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking problem

Wanna hear your opinions guy,the problem is my steering rack is leaking so bad and at this time my budget is low,any ideas guys?Coz my cb is my daily car,i ask a friend,he said just remove the steering pump belt so that the pump is not damage,at the moment i cant afford to refill the steering oil 3 times a day,is removing the steering pump belt save?I mean it doesnt make any other damages,if i remove it thats mean i've no power steering,is it okay to do that??Because my budget is really tight i dont want to have any other damages,sorry for the dumb question,hope that you guys can help me,thanks guys for reading..

you can go ahead and do that. but i would save money up asap to fix your rack. since you have a p/s rack it need fluid. unlike a non p/s rack which doesnt need fluid. it will be fine to drive for awhile. a couple of weeks or so. but try and fix it asap.
    You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
    Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

the only dangerous part with that is your steering ability is greatly reduced and your gonna have to put forth more effort to avoid objects that come about, but other than that their arent really any safety issues. oh and you wont pass state inspection

Comment

As said before, make sure there is still fluid in the system and you won't have problems. There are ways to bypass the pump and just hook the line up to the reservoir.

I've been without power steering for years (pump is still there, I just cut the belt, because it was too tight thanks to a stupid shop). I also drive for a living, and I drove my CB7 for my job without power steering for a very long time. It can be difficult in crowded areas, like cities, where you need to maneuver at very low speeds. But normal driving isn't much different. The power steering doesn't assist as much at higher speeds anyway, so once you're moving, you won't notice it all that much. The only thing to be aware of is that any bumps in the road will directly affect your steering considerably more. If you aren't conscious of the bumps, they can jerk the wheel right out of your hands.

Comment

might i add you also put alot more pressure on your steering column and can damage it. (rare but i have seen it happen) especially when stopped completely

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            As said before, make sure there is still fluid in the system and you won't have problems. There are ways to bypass the pump and just hook the line up to the reservoir.

I've been without power steering for years (pump is still there, I just cut the belt, because it was too tight thanks to a stupid shop). I also drive for a living, and I drove my CB7 for my job without power steering for a very long time. It can be difficult in crowded areas, like cities, where you need to maneuver at very low speeds. But normal driving isn't much different. The power steering doesn't assist as much at higher speeds anyway, so once you're moving, you won't notice it all that much. The only thing to be aware of is that any bumps in the road will directly affect your steering considerably more. If you aren't conscious of the bumps, they can jerk the wheel right out of your hands.
            so small bumps can cause major problems,thats dangerous but i might have to do it,thanks for the advise deev

Comment

Originally posted by spanky348 View Post
              might i add you also put alot more pressure on your steering column and can damage it. (rare but i have seen it happen) especially when stopped completely
              you mean my rack will be damage??Does it make any sound when turning?

Comment

if the rack it self is cracked just jb weld it.and try to find out were it is leaking from.pinpoint it out so we can stop this.

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
                  if the rack it self is cracked just jb weld it.and try to find out were it is leaking from.pinpoint it out so we can stop this.
                  i went to a workshop today just to check what wrong with my rack,they say the problem is the oil sealant in the rack is busted..So thats my problem

Comment

About a two years ago after putting in a new f22 I found out that i had a pretty good leak in one of the ps hoses. At the time I didnt have the money to fix it so just drove without it. To tell you the truth I just got used to driving like that and i really like it now. I didnt even disconnect the belt... after a year or so the pump seized on the highway.... I just pulled over and cut the belt. Its been about two years with out it now. I just realigned my cb after putting down the sleeves abit more and there is no play in the front end or in the steering colum. I am not a muscle man but i do work on cars for a living and i have no problems turning the wheel. If you dont have a good amout of arm strength i could see where it would be hard to make sharp turns at first but i can do it with no problem. I once let a friend borrow my car and he called me ten minutes later saying that the steering wheel wouldnt unlock lol. He ended up driving it ok after i just told him to push harder. Its also worth mentioning that paralel parking in boston is a bit more difficult. But i got used to that too. The amount of feed back from the road does increase. I really drive the car hard and with out ps in the corner you can really feel what the front tires are doing. I just want to say that I didnt do any research before I did this so though i havent had any problems its not to say that you wont. If I were in your shoes i would just take the belt off untill you had the cash to fix it.

My CB7 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=phalpin

Comment

Originally posted by cb3 vtec View Post
                      you mean my rack will be damage??Does it make any sound when turning?
                      yes it is possible along with the steering column, in some rare instances the bearings and joints could become damaged because of the excessive force put onto it because it was not made for that amount if pressure. i havent seen it but a couple times but it can happen, it will usually make a popping noise if it was to happen

Comment

Originally posted by phalpin View Post
                        About a two years ago after putting in a new f22 I found out that i had a pretty good leak in one of the ps hoses. At the time I didnt have the money to fix it so just drove without it. To tell you the truth I just got used to driving like that and i really like it now. I didnt even disconnect the belt... after a year or so the pump seized on the highway.... I just pulled over and cut the belt. Its been about two years with out it now. I just realigned my cb after putting down the sleeves abit more and there is no play in the front end or in the steering colum. I am not a muscle man but i do work on cars for a living and i have no problems turning the wheel. If you dont have a good amout of arm strength i could see where it would be hard to make sharp turns at first but i can do it with no problem. I once let a friend borrow my car and he called me ten minutes later saying that the steering wheel wouldnt unlock lol. He ended up driving it ok after i just told him to push harder. Its also worth mentioning that paralel parking in boston is a bit more difficult. But i got used to that too. The amount of feed back from the road does increase. I really drive the car hard and with out ps in the corner you can really feel what the front tires are doing. I just want to say that I didnt do any research before I did this so though i havent had any problems its not to say that you wont. If I were in your shoes i would just take the belt off untill you had the cash to fix it.
                        alright but your rack is not damage?

Comment

Working...
                        X