Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

header glowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

header glowing

i was letting my car warm up because it's pretty cold out and i decided to pop my hood for whatever reason and noticed my header was pretty red.... not like OH MY GOD but still had a good glow to it. i understand this is usually from the engine running lean but is there anything in specific i should check? i only have a short ram intake, megan header, test pipe, apexi ws2, and NGK wires. nothing major that would make my injectors obsolete. my fuel filter was also changed not real long ago.
    90 ACCORD EX..<-- MR thread

Car = OVERHEATING

check fluid levels...

and to see if theres coolant in the oil.. or oil in the coolant...
    -Will

Comment

Originally posted by Bullhorn7 View Post
      Car = OVERHEATING

check fluid levels...

and to see if theres coolant in the oil.. or oil in the coolant...

glowing doesnt nessassarily mean overheating.

id look into your timing more than anything. retarded timing would cause this as well.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
      member ride thread
      11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
      DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
      People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
      I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
      John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

I drove my car after i wrecked it 15 miles on a busted radiator and when i got home the header was cherry red... Im just saying its a possibility.
        Last edited by Bullhorn7; 12-09-2009, 12:50 AM.
        -Will

Comment

Originally posted by Bullhorn7 View Post
          I drove my car after i wrecked it 15 miles on a busted radiator and when i got home the header was cherry red... Im just saying its a possibility.
          wow, you serious?
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I revved the crap out of mine after i'd been for a drive, with the bonnet popped.. Mine went red, then white then purple! Woo
            Built & Boosted.

Comment

^
              You said bonnet LOL |
              JK
              I have seen engines on the dyno with glowing headers but that was with the lights off.... Does it run OK? Is there a CEL? A cold engine = rich mixture which could be sending unburnt fuel into the exhaust. Is it enough to make the header glow? I have never seen my header glow. Sorry not much help.

My CB7 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=phalpin

Comment

Holy shit, the first step would be to take a picture haha, I wanna see that!

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
                I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Originally posted by phalpin View Post
                  ^
                  You said bonnet LOL
                  Lmao, welcome to the southern hemisphere.

Bonnet, boot, tyre, etc . . . eventually we get used to your guys slang, but it takes a while for us

OP - Check you timing. Btw what header are you using?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                    Lmao, welcome to the southern hemisphere.

Bonnet, boot, tyre, etc . . . eventually we get used to your guys slang, but it takes a while for us

OP - Check you timing. Btw what header are you using?
                    He stated he's using a Megan header.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                    1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                    1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                    2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
                      He stated he's using a Megan header.
                      Woops, My mistake.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                        glowing doesnt nessassarily mean overheating.

id look into your timing more than anything. retarded timing would cause this as well.
                        i plan to check the timing. how do i go about doing that? physical or electrical? timing is one thing i could never seem to grasp about engines and it's always what keeps me from tearing my head apart lol

Originally posted by phalpin View Post
                        ^
                        You said bonnet LOL |
                        JK
                        I have seen engines on the dyno with glowing headers but that was with the lights off.... Does it run OK? Is there a CEL? A cold engine = rich mixture which could be sending unburnt fuel into the exhaust. Is it enough to make the header glow? I have never seen my header glow. Sorry not much help.
                        car still runs great. a little different because of the below freezing weather now but that happens with any car. no CEL. to my knowledge a rich mixture doesn't make your header glow/create near as much heat as running lean does so i don't know.

you think it's just maybe because of the cold weather and the way the engine tweaks the air/fuel ratio at cold starts? i'm also using a bosch o2 sensor. i've heard they go bad and you have to custom wire them but mine was a direct bolt in and clipped straight into the original connector....

also, forgot to add that after i got where i needed to be, i popped the hood and it didn't seem to be red/glowing at all. just a little discoloration like every megan header. which kind of makes me think it's just doing it at startup in the cold

Comment

check the cat it could be clogged fro the heat not being able to diperse

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
                            check the cat it could be clogged fro the heat not being able to diperse
                            no catalytic converter.

Comment

Originally posted by xaaronx View Post
                              i plan to check the timing. how do i go about doing that? physical or electrical? timing is one thing i could never seem to grasp about engines and it's always what keeps me from tearing my head apart lol

car still runs great. a little different because of the below freezing weather now but that happens with any car. no CEL. to my knowledge a rich mixture doesn't make your header glow/create near as much heat as running lean does so i don't know.

you think it's just maybe because of the cold weather and the way the engine tweaks the air/fuel ratio at cold starts? i'm also using a bosch o2 sensor. i've heard they go bad and you have to custom wire them but mine was a direct bolt in and clipped straight into the original connector....

also, forgot to add that after i got where i needed to be, i popped the hood and it didn't seem to be red/glowing at all. just a little discoloration like every megan header. which kind of makes me think it's just doing it at startup in the cold
                              Physical (valve) timing involves your timing belt. That SHOULD remain accurate as long as the belt was installed properly, and doesn't skip a tooth. It keeps the rotation of the crank and camshafts synchronized, so the valves and pistons are where they need to be at all times. If this was off, you'd probably notice it in the way the car runs. The only other way to adjust this is with an adjustable cam gear.

Electrical (ignition) timing involves your distributor. This is MUCH easier to adjust, and it's the "timing" most people are referring to. To do so, you need a timing light (about $40 for a cheap one at most autoparts stores). The light is very easy to use. You need to jump your service connector (the one used to check the CEL codes) when adjusting the timing, so the ECU doesn't compensate.
                              Get the light, hook it up as the instructions say, remove the plug on the front of the transmission, and aim the light down there. The timing marks on the flywheel should be visible. Center is 15*, with 2* on either side shown by smaller marks. That is the "safe area". Beyond that, you could be damaging your engine (though most people have said that fully advanced and fully retarded have done no such thing... better to have it right, though!) Turn your distributor until the marker is in that safe range. Center it on the 15* mark.

If you're removed, replaced, or adjusted your distributor at all in the past, and haven't corrected your ignition timing, I can guarantee you that you're off.

Originally posted by xaaronx View Post
                              no catalytic converter.
                              What do you have in place of a cat? Straight pipe? hollowed out cat?

Comment

Working...
                              X