Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how about koni STR.T? i kno they are not adjustable, but they are a lot cheaper. are they good? or do you recommend the extra $$ for sports or yellows cuz they are adjustable?
    2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
    VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise
    VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise part 2
    The single largest cruise in the Midwest!
    August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

I definitely think Yellows are better (Yellows are the "sports")... Reds are adjustable only off the car, so if you want to play with them, they're not a great choice. The STR.T isn't bad... Koni quality... but they're nowhere near the performance shocks that the yellows are.

Suspension is more fun than the engine. If you'd be willing to drop $2000 for an H22 swap, you should EASILY be able to justify $1000 on a proper suspension setup (shocks, springs, camber kit, alignment... that doesn't include strut bars, sway bars, tires, and other misc. chassis braces...)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        I definitely think Yellows are better (Yellows are the "sports")... Reds are adjustable only off the car, so if you want to play with them, they're not a great choice. The STR.T isn't bad... Koni quality... but they're nowhere near the performance shocks that the yellows are.

Suspension is more fun than the engine. If you'd be willing to drop $2000 for an H22 swap, you should EASILY be able to justify $1000 on a proper suspension setup (shocks, springs, camber kit, alignment... that doesn't include strut bars, sway bars, tires, and other misc. chassis braces...)
        oh i totally agree with you. unfortunately, i'm trying to get thru college on a budget and only have my cb because my sister gave it to me when she moved to houston. i always have my eyes out for deals and have yet to find some cheap suspension(cheap, reliable suspension of course) so i'm still stock and definitely dont have money for a swap any time soon. i'm just trying to make the most out of what i've got. i really do like the adjustable yellows(yellow is my favorite color), i'll just have to keep my eyes out for a deal somewhere on them.
        2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
        August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

I got mine used, with springs, for $300. From a friend, of course... but still. Deals are out there.

That, or just save up. Don't buy random small stuff for your car. Do a few important things properly, and it'll be much more rewarding (this is a lesson that HondaFan81 hammered into my head... and his cars are a fine example of how true it is!)

Comment

I got mine used, with springs, for $300. From a friend, of course... but still. Deals are out there.

That, or just save up. Don't buy random small stuff for your car. Do a few important things properly, and it'll be much more rewarding (this is a lesson that HondaFan81 hammered into my head... and his cars are a fine example of how true it is!)
            yeah, i'm still trying to discipline myself into that philosophy. but i figured i couldn't pass up the $50 set of springs i saw, even tho they were tenzo r. i figure, if i dont like them i can try to sell them and at least break even
            2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
            August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Unless you crash.

Comment

Tokico blues aren't great. They're basically stock replacement, and have a reputation for blowing quickly. If you want to go cheap, KYB GR2 is the cheapest you should consider. As for springs, Tein, H&R, Neuspeed, RS*R... any quality name. Don't get Dropzone, or any no-name ebay garbage.

If you want a GOOD setup, pick up some H&R springs and Koni Yellows. Not cheap, but well worth it. Your car won't just look better. It'll handle considerably better as well. Not to mention... konis have a lifetime warranty. Blow it, send it back, get a new one. I've never blown one, though... and I got mine used.
                i have full dropzone lowering springs/ strut combo (new busings, collars and washers) with Energy suspension complete bushings ATM and i love them. i heard the coilovers suck but as for my lowering springs they are very comfortable with a very nice drop. check out MR thread
                frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Unless you crash.
                  i'm trying to avoid that lol
                  2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
                  August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
                    i have full dropzone lowering springs/ strut combo (new busings, collars and washers) with Energy suspension complete bushings ATM and i love them. i heard the coilovers suck but as for my lowering springs they are very comfortable with a very nice drop. check out MR thread
                    After nearly being killed by Dropzone products failing on me, I will never trust that company.

Originally posted by theSOB View Post
                    i'm trying to avoid that lol
                    The only way to truly avoid it is to not install crap parts.

Comment

i would have to say a good suspension is Function&Form.. or you could go KYB with tein or any of the other... dont do Blues there not that good

Comment

For clarification, the regular koni yellows have 3 spring perch locations. The Koni yellow sp3, aka the neuspeed koni yellow has 5 perches, one higher, and one lower than the normal 3. Also, the sp3 version has a 20mm shorter shock body, so that your shock piston retains more of its travel on a lowered vehicle. They aren't much more expensive and I recommend them if you're buying new.

If you want a setup that's really tits, get the koni/ground control combo on weaksauceparts.com...get the SP3 option and you can specify custom ground control rates I believe. Koni yellows are a better damper than any of the dampers in coilover setups available like Tein, F&F, etc. I say that with pretty high confidence. Ground controls are a linear spring on a threaded perch, so you get the ride height adjustability that full coilovers offer.

Also, neuspeed race springs that come in the super cup kit are 485lbs F, 300lbs R. I feel that the front springs are best dampened when the koni's are turned to about half way. I don't think I would use a spring any stiffer than about 650-700lbs with a standard valved koni yellow on a CB...otherwise full stiff might not even be enough to dampen them properly.

In other words, unless you're getting some pretty soft springs, or you're broke...just get koni yellows.
                        There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                          The only way to truly avoid it is to not install crap parts.
                          so i should sell the tenzo Rs and get better springs?
                          2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
                          August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by theSOB View Post
                            so i should sell the tenzo Rs and get better springs?
                            The springs are probably fine to keep. What's important is the damper you use. What are the spring rates on them? If you don't know them, you should find out and post back and we can help you with a damper.

The main reason people complain about ebay parts being crappy is because they buy ebay coilover sleeves and since they were cheap and bought those, they probably bought a cheap damper as well....a damper that isn't adequate enough(ebay coilover sleeves are usually pretty high rates). Then, when their GR2s or stock shocks don't dampen the springs properly and their car is bouncing, they out of ignorance, blame it on the ebay springs.
                            There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                              Tokico Illuminas

They are OK. Better than Skunk2s and all KYBs, but not as good as Konis. I would get Konis.
                              but u had skunk 2 springs or the coilovers

Comment

skunk2 coilovers are excellent.. i had them on a CRX and i rode great

Comment

Working...
                                X