Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Vtec Vs. Non Vtec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vtec Vs. Non Vtec

What do you prefer?

Which would you rather build for N/A and which would you rather build for boost? Or does it not matter, is it all based on motor specs?

Would you say that a non VTEC motor build is more of a challenge than a VTEC motor?

What is your opinion on VTEC? What advantages and disadvantages are there with VTEC?

I understand that it is convenient to have VTEC considering it holds the intake valves open longer in the high end which in turn gives you more high end power, but are there any disadvantages of VTEC?

I am asking because alot of anti-Honda guys say VTEC is overrated, however, it seems to be a very intelligent system in my opinion.

I understand that there is a difference in VTEC power between certain motors. For instance, the H22a has a strong VTEC compared to a motor like the F22b SOHC which has a weak VTEC. Is this because the F22b is a SOHC, and only has one cam which limits power production while in VTEC?

Just a few questions I felt were necessary to ask. Trying to fill my curiosity.
    R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

vtec all the way.
    i just hate how most stock non vtecs lose power after 6k.
    8k ftw

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
      What do you prefer?

Which would you rather build for N/A and which would you rather build for boost? Or does it not matter, is it all based on motor specs?

Would you say that a non VTEC motor build is more of a challenge than a VTEC motor?

What is your opinion on VTEC? What advantages and disadvantages are there with VTEC?

I understand that it is convenient to have VTEC considering it holds the intake valves open longer in the high end which in turn gives you more high end power, but are there any disadvantages of VTEC?

I am asking because alot of anti-Honda guys say VTEC is overrated, however, it seems to be a very intelligent system in my opinion.

I understand that there is a difference in VTEC power between certain motors. For instance, the H22a has a strong VTEC compared to a motor like the F22b SOHC which has a weak VTEC. Is this because the F22b is a SOHC, and only has one cam which limits power production while in VTEC?

Just a few questions I felt were necessary to ask. Trying to fill my curiosity.

depends if its SOHC or DOHC... the SOHC i would stay non VTEC.. reason being that VTEC on the single cam is more for economy... where as the dual cam is ment for more power.. and on the F series.. the head flows better then the non VTEC head as well..

93 cb7 ex coupe
      Granada Black Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by luckyflip View Post
        vtec all the way.
        i just hate how most stock non vtecs lose power after 6k.
        8k ftw
        well if you throw an aggressive cam in a non vtec motor doesnt it shift the powerband up? is it not worth the loss of power in the low end, or can this be compensated for?

Comment

well if you throw an aggressive cam in a non vtec motor doesnt it shift the powerband up? is it not worth the loss of power in the low end, or can this be compensated for?

theres pleanty of ways to compensate for the low end.. just depends what ur wanting to do with the build.. and on a stage 1 or 2 cam i really dont think ur gunna feel any loss, and that being said i dont really think u lose all that much, the f series are good down low to begin with...

93 cb7 ex coupe
          Granada Black Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by Turbocutlass View Post
            theres pleanty of ways to compensate for the low end.. just depends what ur wanting to do with the build.. and on a stage 1 or 2 cam i really dont think ur gunna feel any loss, and that being said i dont really think u lose all that much, the f series are good down low to begin with...
            this is why im wondering if vtec is really necessary for an all motor build. alot of people told me it is, but the way i see it, if youre really getting deep into the motor it doesnt matter i can understand the gains of vtec, but arent the high numbers the h22 puts down for hp and tq while its in vtec. Im curious what it makes when its not in vtec compared to a non vtec motor like the JDM F22b DOHC or F20a DOHC.

Comment

this is why im wondering if vtec is really necessary for an all motor build. alot of people told me it is, but the way i see it, if youre really getting deep into the motor it doesnt matter i can understand the gains of vtec, but arent the high numbers the h22 puts down for hp and tq while its in vtec. Im curious what it makes when its not in vtec compared to a non vtec motor like the JDM F22b DOHC or F20a DOHC.

IMO, no its not necessary for a all motor build on a SOHC... like i said, the SOHC vtec is morefor economy... now on a DOHC where the motor lives on revs and need to be in vtec.. yes.. but then again depends on the build.. im not sure on the specs of the f22b or the f20a so im not really sure what they make..

93 cb7 ex coupe
              Granada Black Metallic

Comment

An H22ax without VTEC is like driving an F22ax.
                My H23a1 pulled wayyy harder than my H22a4 did before VTEC was wired up.
                1992 H22A4 Coupe - R.I.P.

Bought from: slammed4thgen. new_beginnings. crzy.tuning. f20aaccordturbo. hondaguy1212. cb4_honda. fatboy1185. wed3k.
                _____________H22A4CB7. minorreparations. PR CB7. plee3. Bisimoto Engineering.

Sold to: LadyG. sulimed. choppacity. choogee3.

Comment

Even though I'm doing the NA F22ax non-VTEC, the VTEC does have a purpose and is a nice feature.

Honestly, I do not think most VTEC users even appreciate what they have. I KNOW what they have and what a nice compromise it is because of my NA SOHC non-VTEC endeavors.

It's nice to have a camshaft that has two profiles, retaining a stock-like idle/low RPM driveability with performance on the higher RPM profile.

SOHC non-VTEC, you have to compromise somewhere as you get more aggressive.

However, when you get to the very aggressive side of VTEC, even then people lock their VTEC lobes on only, because they eventually run into same non-VTEC problems that SOHC do. The transition between low to high RPM profile can not be too drastic.
                  HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
                    It's nice to have a camshaft that has two profiles, retaining a stock-like idle/low RPM driveability with performance on the higher RPM profile.
                    Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
                    However, when you get to the very aggressive side of VTEC, even then people lock their VTEC lobes on only, because they eventually run into same non-VTEC problems that SOHC do. The transition between low to high RPM profile can not be too drastic.
                    This very true. I made some MSPaint pictures for another forum to help explain why Vtec is great and where you want to set vtec when you're tuning.

Here they are.

Comment

i see i see.

Comment

I have experienced both non VTEC and VTEC engines. I had an H23 before I got my H22. Normal driving, they were about equal. The H23 felt A LITTLE better though for daily driving. For spirited driving, the H22 is just a different animal. The engine is amazing, especially for how long ago it was made.

I tracked my car with both. No doubt, the H22 was A LOT more fun! Honda's goal was to maintain an engine that gets great gas mileage, but also can make power when you need it. Their focus was a reliable engine that can perform as well, or even better than engines bigger in size. They accomplished that goal.

Personally, with the bad reputation a lot of ricers created about VTEC, I now prefer non VTEC Honda engines. The amazing thing about Honda is that so many of their engines, VTEC and non VTEC, can be made to perform well. That's why a built F22A1 is goal of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyD View Post
                          I have experienced both non VTEC and VTEC engines. I had an H23 before I got my H22. Normal driving, they were about equal. The H23 felt A LITTLE better though for daily driving. For spirited driving, the H22 is just a different animal. The engine is amazing, especially for how long ago it was made.

I tracked my car with both. No doubt, the H22 was A LOT more fun! Honda's goal was to maintain an engine that gets great gas mileage, but also can make power when you need it. Their focus was a reliable engine that can perform as well, or even better than engines bigger in size. They accomplished that goal.

Personally, with the bad reputation a lot of ricers created about VTEC, I now prefer non VTEC Honda engines. The amazing thing about Honda is that so many of their engines, VTEC and non VTEC, can be made to perform well. That's why a built F22A1 is goal of mine.
                          yea im going F20a DOHC. cant wait.

Comment

Supa Sleeper

although my motor doesnt have much done 2 it-sum tymes im actually goin faster than i think i am 2 stop at the next light
                            Attached Files

Comment

^? wtf

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

Working...
                              X