Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

pt6 ecu install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pt6 ecu install question

What might happen if someone installed a pt6 ecu in an Accord that had a f22a4 engine? I know the pt6 is for the f22a6 and the pt3 is for the f22a4, but I'm just curious is there would be an adverse effect if the wrong ecu was installed. Or would an f22a4 engine run properly with a pt6 ecu, but just not be able to take advantage of the pt6 ecu's settings?

I know, strange question... I'm just curious.

91 EX, body/chassis ~235,000; rebuilt f22a6 crate engine ~65,000 (3/2011)
    Neuspeed Super Cup Kit (7/2010)
    TAS rear drum-to-disc conversion (6/2010)
    Above photo taken - 4/2010

Originally posted by jkrolikowski View Post
    What might happen if someone installed a pt6 ecu in an Accord that had a f22a4 engine? I know the pt6 is for the f22a6 and the pt3 is for the f22a4, but I'm just curious is there would be an adverse effect if the wrong ecu was installed. Or would an f22a4 engine run properly with a pt6 ecu, but just not be able to take advantage of the pt6 ecu's settings?

nothing would happen it will run just fine.u might lose power.u need the intake manifold and cam shaft to gain from the ecu.

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
      nothing would happen it will run just fine.u might lose power.u need the intake manifold and cam shaft to gain from the ecu.
      And if a pt3 is installed with a f22a6 engine will there be no problems either? The engine just won't reach it's full potential?

Comment

It won't hurt anything. It won't be an upgrade, though. My friend used a PT6 on an F22A1, and said that it felt MUCH better with the PT3.

Comment

I put one in mine before I did the a6 cam , and I/M swap. The only difference I noticed was the black spot on my back bumper, above the muffler.
          My inferiority complex isn't as good as yours.

Comment

That would be from running rich.

That can eventually do some damage... buildup on the valves, o2 sensor, and clogging the cat. It's not a serious threat unless you do it for a long time... but still something to be aware of.

Comment

I asked this question cuz I just had a rebuilt engine installed in my 91 Accord EX and the new engine clearly says f22a6 on it. My old engine was so dirty that the model number must have been caked over with grime, but most likely it was an a4, since this is a 91 EX. During the install, I'm not sure the shop also installed a new pt6 ecu or left the pt3 in there (if that is whats in there). Its not on the invoice and I'm assuming that when a rebuilt engine is shipped over from Japan it does not also include the ecu.

At any rate, I will check this weekend. The engine has f22a6 imprinted on it, so if the ecu is still the pt3, I'll just pop a pt6 in there.

Comment

I asked this question cuz I just had a rebuilt engine installed in my 91 Accord EX and the new engine clearly says f22a6 on it. My old engine was so dirty that the model number must have been caked over with grime, but most likely it was an a4, since this is a 91 EX. During the install, I'm not sure the shop also installed a new pt6 ecu or left the pt3 in there (if that is whats in there). Its not on the invoice and I'm assuming that when a rebuilt engine is shipped over from Japan it does not also include the ecu.

At any rate, I will check this weekend. The engine has f22a6 imprinted on it, so if the ecu is still the pt3, I'll just pop a pt6 in there.
                it will only make a difference if the hole motor is an a6.he might have used a a1/4 intake manifold.the pt6 ecu is really only used for the iab system on the f22a6 intake manifold. so if u have a f22a6 motor and the f22a1/4 intake manifold u are better of using the pt3 or get the p12.

my new turbo build

Comment

While on the subject, can anyone tell me what all is included in a rebuilt engine anyway? What does the rebuilt engine consist of? The block, head, intake manifold? Is the exhaust manifold also included?

I know the modifications on an a6 over a4 are "slightly more aggressive camshaft, a better flowing cast exhaust manifold, a different more aggressively tuned ECU (PT6), and a different intake manifold that utilizes IAB's and also has a bigger plenum. The F22A6 also has a windage tray in the oil pan, and stiffer valve springs to accommodate the more aggressive camshaft." << from wikipedia.

I understand the camshaft, stiffer valve springs, and a windage tray in the oil pan (whatever that is...) are all part of the rebuilt engine, but would the intake manifold and exhaust manifold usually part of the process of installing a rebuilt engine? Or are the old parts often salvaged.

Forgive my ignorance and the long question. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
                    it will only make a difference if the hole motor is an a6.he might have used a a1/4 intake manifold.the pt6 ecu is really only used for the iab system on the f22a6 intake manifold. so if u have a f22a6 motor and the f22a1/4 intake manifold u are better of using the pt3 or get the p12.
                    92smokeaccord - Is there anyway I can tell by looking at the intake manifold if it is an a6 or not? Oddly when I talked to the guy at the shop, he told me that all engines coming over from Japan are f2.2 and that there is no a4, a6, a7, etc. designation. He said this is a designation only found at junkyards in America, whatever that means. The engine clearly has f22a6 stamped on it. So, I don't expect an answer from him and would rather look at it myself if I can.

Comment

What was rebuilt honestly depends on who did it. It may have just had gaskets replaced... maybe bearings and piston rings... or it had everything replaced (pistons, rods, valves, valve guides, etc...) "rebuilt" doesn't really specify what was done.

Also, if the block says F22A6, it's not from Japan. Japanese-market F22As don't have numbers following them (and any Japanese F22A is pretty much identical to the F22A6)

It's unlikely that they installed a new ECU. It's easy enough to check, if you'd like... just pull up the passenger carpet, undo the 4 nuts holding the ECU kickplate, and take a look at the label on the ECU. It'll say PT3 or PT6 in the code on the side of it.

If your intake manifold has the IAB plate under the plenum, then it's the F22A6 manifold. Your F22A4's manifold wouldn't have that. If your exhaust manifold is a cast piece, and not a tubular header, then it is also the F22A6 part. The F22A4 manifold is a tubular design...

Comment

I can't help you out on what parts are reused with a rebuilt engine but I can on the windage tray lol. The windage tray is a piecece of metal that goes between the crankshaft and oil pan. When your engine is rotating at high rpms it creates a vortex of air and that will pickup some of the oil also. So instead of the oil getting caught in that the tray will keep the majority of it in the oil pan where the pickup is and keep your engine from starving of oil. That make any sense?
                        Last edited by Brandoncb7; 11-13-2009, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandoncb7 View Post
                          I can't help you out on what parts are reused with a rebuilt engine but I can on the windage tray lol. The windage tray is a pice of metal that goes between teh crankshaft and oil pan. When your engine rotating at high rpms it creates a vortex of air and that will pickup some of the oil also. So instead of the oil getting caught in that the tray will keep the majority of it in the oil pan where the pickup is and keep your engine from starving of oil. That make any sense?
                          Thanks! That was helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            What was rebuilt honestly depends on who did it. It may have just had gaskets replaced... maybe bearings and piston rings... or it had everything replaced (pistons, rods, valves, valve guides, etc...) "rebuilt" doesn't really specify what was done.

Also, if the block says F22A6, it's not from Japan. Japanese-market F22As don't have numbers following them (and any Japanese F22A is pretty much identical to the F22A6)

It's unlikely that they installed a new ECU. It's easy enough to check, if you'd like... just pull up the passenger carpet, undo the 4 nuts holding the ECU kickplate, and take a look at the label on the ECU. It'll say PT3 or PT6 in the code on the side of it.

If your intake manifold has the IAB plate under the plenum, then it's the F22A6 manifold. Your F22A4's manifold wouldn't have that. If your exhaust manifold is a cast piece, and not a tubular header, then it is also the F22A6 part. The F22A4 manifold is a tubular design...
                            Sorry for the confusion. My old engine wasn't rebuilt. Rather a low mileage engine from Japan (~40,000miles) was rebuilt and shipped over to a local shop who installed it for me.

Comment

Ah, ok. That makes more sense.

I would ask the shop that rebuilt it exactly what was done, and what parts were used. If they used cheap, crap parts... that engine may not last very long.

Comment

Working...
                              X