Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

swiss box mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
    actually the best thing to do if you are running stock intake is either cut the bottom out or what most do, just remove the entire box all together...leave the plastic fender well though, that will help keep dirt/water out...well...more out than if you took the plastic fender wells out.

but even better...remove everything from the intake box (the box that holds the filter...yes that means remove the filter...hold on I'm getting to that part) all out...then put a k&n cone filter on the end of the stock tubing. It's cheap and easy and breaths better than just removing/cutting the resonator box. Later you can buy an ebay $14 2.75-3" intake CAI or SRI tubing and trash the trash filter and use your good k&n filter with it...of course if you don't live in california

I've seen a couple guys on here do this...k&n on the stock tubing...not the best...but better than stock.
    He wants to stay stock-looking under the hood. A cone filter on the end of the plastic tubing won't really do that for him.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Or you could have emailed me to fix it for you... now you're breaking the rules with 2 accounts. Had I not seen this explanation, I'd have simply IP banned you for having multiple accounts.
      you can do that??.........now i feel like shit for yelling at my wife for deleting my yahoo email!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        He wants to stay stock-looking under the hood. A cone filter on the end of the plastic tubing won't really do that for him.
        thank you... just like VWVORTEX no one reads the fine print.. swiss looks stock.. cone does not... turbo does not... cam does.. 3" exhaust does not.. header and test pipe with a heat shield does..

get it guys? this is what im asking.. looking as stock as possible while gaining HP... what is your input?

Comment

People are helpful here, but many are overzealous and tend not to read the whole thread... or even the whole first post. Of course, MOST of the time, we get noobs on here asking the exact same questions over and over again, so it's a knee-jerk reaction to just throw down the usual reply!

The only header that really gives any worthwhile horsepower gain is the Bisimoto header... and that work of art won't be hidden under any stock heat shield. The cheap $100 DC Sports knockoff headers on ebay will get you maybe 3-5hp. For a stealth look, that's pretty much all your have to work with, unfortunately. Don't bother spending $300-$400 on anything else... those more expensive headers don't help much more, and you're just paying for the CARB sticker (which, if you're not in CA, doesn't matter).

Another option is to approach ESP (Explicit Speed Performance). They could make a custom header that would give better gains than any other cheap option, and they could probably make it to work with a stock heat shield. It won't be dirt cheap, but it will give more than 3-5hp I'm sure.

If you can find an Unorthodox Racing pulley set, including the crank pulley, you'll see some gains there as well. They're not 100% stock looking, but anyone who doesn't know what they're looking at probably wouldn't know the difference. UR doesn't make F22 pullies anymore, as far as I know. The crank pulley is the one that gives the most power. I would not suggest going with a knockoff brand, as that could destroy your engine if it's not properly balanced (the UR pullies have even been rumored to destroy oil pumps... though mine has been good so far, for the past 7 years.)

Comment

cai tubing with flat black paint or that paint for metal parts that gives a hammered metal appearance or bubbled look...that'd look mostly stock...the filter would be in the fender so you wouldn't see it. or you could cut the stock tubing to wrap around it I kid on that last part there.

OR

cone filter IN the air box...connected either to stock tubing or above idea...open the end of the intake box after removing those two small tube and removing the resonator box...as it is it has two small openings for the tubes going to the intake resonator.

If you want to keep stock looking but actually gain some measure of performance...at least put a cone filter IN the box...

Obviously you would need to mod the box to accommodate and hide the cone filter, say lowering the opening where the intake tube connects to the box (so that the cone will fit on the tubing IN the box)...but make it so the stock tubing doesn't just connect to the box but actually goes INTO the box...and opening one end of the box to let more air in.

dammit...now I can't stand the word "box"
            ____

Comment

I was thinking about the cone in the box as well... That might work.

Or empty the box and replace the fender resonator with a cone. DIY CAI

Comment

i extended the stock tubing into the box, threw on a cone filter and cut holes in the box.. looks totally stock and seems to breathe better.. and you cant hear any difference until you really lay into the throttle witch is nice..

Comment

that's vedy niice
                  ____

Comment

Just to touch on the common belief that cutting holes randomly will increase flow. That is not always the case. Air and water flow very similarly. By cutting holes/altering the airbox, you can actually disrupt that flow where you hurt performance.

Air flow is all about physics. There's a lot more to it than most people think.

Comment

Hey Gasser I'm looking to do the same thing until I can find an H22 or H23 to build and go all out with it. This is a link where you can use stock parts from other Hondas to gain HP.
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=88154

Maybe use a K&N flat filter in the air box and punch some holes where you feel it will give you the best air flow but remain out of site for the most part and you should, according to others on this site, gain some HP and retain your stock look.

I'm fixin to do this cuz it's cheaper while I learn how to make serious HP for a jap motor. Can get 700 + hp from a bowtie easy. What I wanna do is get 400hp from a honda in the long run.
                      LIVE FREE OR DIE

Comment

Working...
                      X