Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

cut springs or ebay lowering springs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're limited on cash, either save up a little longer, or modify something else. The suspension is the dumbest thing to cheap out on. Your life is riding on that! (I've been around here long enough to see my members learn this the hard way... some of them ended up on their roof... thankfully, all have walked away, so far)
    Again safe up, you'll always hear YOU GOT TO PAY TO PLAY, plus you'll end up spending more just to fix shit you broke from the cheap shit anyways,
    My eclipse i had some $200 name brand coilovers, but again not the good ones, was accelerating just dropped into 3 gear then boom, damn spring on passenger side rear busted through the strut sleeve and ended up spending another $200 just to fix everything that got fucked up. Could've fucked alot more stuff up too though. In the end your going to put ten times the stress on your components without some good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by 253CBgasser View Post
      what is safer or a better way to go in everyones opinion? cut springs or $60- $70 ebay lowering springs? i have some ebay springs that i could buy from my cousin (he bought but never used them. they are -2.5") or i could just cut my stock ones..

i know i really should just wait until i have the money for proper suspension but i have no patience.. and i know im not alone out there.. so opinions please?
      never cut or heat them up will mess up the ride

Comment

Originally posted by accord101 View Post
        never cut or heat them up will mess up the ride
        people forget that those things were only done back in the day BEFORE there were options. They also used to put chains around the control arms EEK!

They were unsafe then and now...hell...even some of the coilovers and lowering springs today are just as bad though. never cheap out on suspension...if it blows you go...if your engine blows...most of the time your just out cash...usually.
        ____

Comment

I was there back in the day when the springs were cut and heated. As a matter of fact I was working at a tire shop after school. I saw many of the lucky cars come in on a rollback. The fact is that the suspension was set up for that car. When you try to play inventor on your suspension somebody could get really hurt. yea I bet you bought this car really cheap and you dont care if you tear it up. What about that car beside of you with the kids in it when your front end folds up. I dont know what happened officer I hit a bump in the road and it just cut loose on me. Its like drinking and driving. You know its stupid but your going to do it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by hondadiablo View Post
            I was there back in the day when the springs were cut and heated. As a matter of fact I was working at a tire shop after school. I saw many of the lucky cars come in on a rollback. The fact is that the suspension was set up for that car. When you try to play inventor on your suspension somebody could get really hurt. yea I bet you bought this car really cheap and you dont care if you tear it up. What about that car beside of you with the kids in it when your front end folds up. I dont know what happened officer I hit a bump in the road and it just cut loose on me. Its like drinking and driving. You know its stupid but your going to do it anyway.
            sad isn't it? arrogance and ignorance with a three THOUSAND pound ballistic weapon.

a vehicle can be a deadly weapon...if I were D.A. I would charge everyperson that does this stupid crap as "assault with deadly weapon" no matter how little damage they caused.
            ____

Comment

Please, for the love of god, stay away from ebay parts or cut springs. I ran ebay parts on my 91' Civic hatch, and they nearly killed me when the ebay no-name camber kit failed.

Do yourself a favor, and save for something reliable and properly manufactured/engineered, like the Neuspeed Cup kit. Also, before you even THINK about dropping, you should refresh the suspension in general, i.e. new ball joints, new tie rods, new bushings (pain-in-the-ass, but worth it), new wheel bearings. Your life is riding on these parts, and if lowering the car, you'll want them to be in good shape.
              Last edited by LlamaGoblin; 12-12-2009, 10:53 AM.

Comment

IVe always wanted to cut my stock springs. Just to see what it felt like.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                Originally posted by Jarrett
                Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

So, this one time at band camp... oh wait.... um... this one time a cd5 pulls up to me at a light near a freeway on-ramp. It is two lanes. I jokingly yelled at him out of my window, "Did you cut your springs?"... ... his reply....yeah. UGH So, he tries to pull on me when we take off to get on the freeway. I didn't really want to try but I did anyways. This freeway on ramp has a large bump on it, he didn't realize it. His car bounced up then slammed back down and bottomed out. When he bottomed out, I guess his exhaust was ripped off. The axle-back part. This caused a loud banging sound along with a lot of sparks. Right when he turns on his emergency flashers, his exhaust comes out from underneath the car, (the part that was ripped off). The car behind him, ran into his exhaust swerved and crashed. Moral of the story, cut springs are dangerous and they do cause accidents.

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                    IVe always wanted to cut my stock springs. Just to see what it felt like.
                    I drove a CB with cut springs. It wasn't that bad. I could see why someone would say "I did it and it was fine!"

But gcvphoto's post above is a PERFECT reason why it's NOT fine.
                    Anything is fine when you're going at a safe speed, under normal conditions. Pick up the speed, add bumps, and emergency steering maneuvers or hard braking... THAT'S where these things show problems... and by then, it's too late.

Comment

Well, if/when i decide to get an aftermarket suspension set up, im gonna cut the factory springs and ride around my neighborhood. See how it feels, lol.
                      Then proceed to install correct aftermarket parts.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                      Originally posted by Jarrett
                      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

I have ebay sleeves and GR2s and the ride is harsh. The car feels like a go cart but its not practical whatsoever. The kit is shit. The rear springs do not even sit on the strut like they are supposed to. I put them in because I bought the sleeves, struts, and power slot rotors for $50 new from a friend. I thought whatever i will just put the stock back if its horrible because I am a tech and can work on it at my shop... The car rides great if the road is freshly paved and there is no bumps which rarely exists for long. It feels like a $50 suspension and i wouldn't recommend it.

My CB7 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=phalpin

Comment

Locked. We've said all there is to say on this subject. We don't need every noob coming in here and repeating it to increase their count.

Comment

Working...
                          X