Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

cut springs or ebay lowering springs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
    Damn, why is everybody always hatin on the chopped springs? Yall wasn't talkin that back in the mid to late 90's when damn near everybody was rollin on cut springs. Its just that there are so many alternatives out there now (coilovers, springs, etc) that there really is no reason to cut your springs, plus the safety factor of course. But yall takin it a bit too far with sayin you an idiot for doin it.
    The "pull out method" was a common form of birth control years ago as well... but I certainly wouldn't call anyone wise for relying on it today.

The point is, there are options available now. Options that weren't around back then, sure... but MUCH SAFER options. With those options available, at a reasonable cost, even, it IS stupid to rely on an outdated and unsafe method of modifying your vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by mx5_guy View Post
      LAst time I checked, safety is nothing to play games with. Not only your safety, but everyone else around you.
      Didn't nobody say do the shit. And if thats the case then just leave your shit stock cuz that the safest way of all. All I was saying was your putting a little to much on the subject. Maybe you wasn't slammin cars back the day but I was and we smashed on chopped springs like it was the thing to do, cuz it was. All these options wasn't available back then thats why we did it. I wouldn't do it again cuz there's no reason for it. Altering suspension period you running a risk cuz the car wasn't designed for it. Obviously you run more of a risk choppin vs springs or coilovers but like I said, I just think yall are putting too much on it.

Comment

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
        Didn't nobody say do the shit. And if thats the case then just leave your shit stock cuz that the safest way of all. All I was saying was your putting a little to much on the subject. Maybe you wasn't slammin cars back the day but I was and we smashed on chopped springs like it was the thing to do, cuz it was. All these options wasn't available back then thats why we did it. I wouldn't do it again cuz there's no reason for it. Altering suspension period you running a risk cuz the car wasn't designed for it. Obviously you run more of a risk choppin vs springs or coilovers but like I said, I just think yall are putting too much on it.
        So what you are saying is that you CLEARLY and OBVIOUSLY know it is wrong, unsafe, and outdated. Even saying you wouldnt do it still. Yet you still seem stubborn and stuck on the fact you did.

Comment

Originally posted by mx5_guy View Post
          So what you are saying is that you CLEARLY and OBVIOUSLY know it is wrong, unsafe, and outdated. Even saying you wouldnt do it still. Yet you still seem stubborn and stuck on the fact you did.
          Listen homie I ain't gonna sit here and argue with you about it. You right, it is outdated and unsafe and all that. All I was tryin to get across was I thought it yall were puttin a little too much topping on it. Thats all.

Comment

There's a reason for being so strongly opposed to it.

In a community like this, people go for the cheapest option. We run $1000 cars... most of us don't ever want to put more than that much into the car (which is stupid... but unfortunately true, at least for now).

If 19 people say cut springs are bad, and 1 person says they're fine... who's advice is going to be followed? The 19 people who say $200 springs are necessary? Or the 1 guy that says the $20 trip to a shop with the tools necessary to cut the springs?

I've seen far too many threads like this... a kid comes on, asks a question, someone goes against everyone else and gives bad advice. The bad advice is exactly what the kid wants to hear, because it's cheap and easy. Who does the kid talk to, as if it were a one-on-one conversation? That guy.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              There's a reason for being so strongly opposed to it.

In a community like this, people go for the cheapest option. We run $1000 cars... most of us don't ever want to put more than that much into the car (which is stupid... but unfortunately true, at least for now).

If 19 people say cut springs are bad, and 1 person says they're fine... who's advice is going to be followed? The 19 people who say $200 springs are necessary? Or the 1 guy that says the $20 trip to a shop with the tools necessary to cut the springs?

I've seen far too many threads like this... a kid comes on, asks a question, someone goes against everyone else and gives bad advice. The bad advice is exactly what the kid wants to hear, because it's cheap and easy. Who does the kid talk to, as if it were a one-on-one conversation? That guy.
              I feel you on that but I wasn't telling the dude to cut his shit. And I wasn't condoning it either.

Comment

Originally posted by MeganTunerF22A View Post
                never! cut your stock springs!...its not safe! you'll be all the way home if your shocks fail!....

get a coil kit with springs!...

but cutting YOUR stock SPRINGS is a bad idea!...its like

drilling holes on your front break disc!!!...
                hmmmm.....
                how do you think performance rotors get holes in them???
                not a chance in hell they use a drill, right???

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

I know. I'm not really villanizing you... just illustrating that anyone who says "I did it. It was what we did back in the day" will attract ignorant, cheap-ass noobs like flies to shit.

Comment

Originally posted by H22artman View Post
                    hmmmm.....
                    how do you think performance rotors get holes in them???
                    not a chance in hell they use a drill, right???

If he means doing it yourself, then I'm with him 100%. Drilled rotors should be drilled by people with the proper equipment... not your dad's Black & Decker.

Comment

If he means doing it yourself, then I'm with him 100%. Drilled rotors should be drilled by people with the proper equipment... not your dad's Black & Decker.
                      well, yea. that pretty much goes without saying. nothing really should be drilled by a black n decker. haha!!

i used to drill my own rotors for my S13. never once had a problem and i autocrossed that car. i dont work at that shop anymore though....

luckily my CB came drilled and slotted when i bought it.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

I got Brembos that were drilled and slotted by an aftermarket company. Been going strong since 2004. Even had metal-on-metal contact when the driver's side inner brake pad wore down to nothing, and I didn't realize it. I'm still using those rotors (yes, BAD idea... I'm not recommending this by any means!)

Comment

I got Brembos that were drilled and slotted by an aftermarket company. Been going strong since 2004. Even had metal-on-metal contact when the driver's side inner brake pad wore down to nothing, and I didn't realize it. I'm still using those rotors (yes, BAD idea... I'm not recommending this by any means!)
                          you stupid ass!! dont you realize youre putting everyone on the road at risk!!

JK i know youre shit isnt being driven...

Comment

It was also only minimal scoring of the rotor. I'll eventually upgrade to ROH, so I don't see a need to replace it just yet.

Comment

Don't modify your suspension until you can do it right. It's not a matter of being bouncy... it's a matter of being dangerous!

It sounds like you have no intention of replacing your shocks when you lower the car... again, extremely stupid.

If you want to go cheap, find some used H&R or Neuspeed springs (there are other good brands... these are just my favorite) and some brand new KYB GR2 shocks. The GR2s are stock replacement, but they'll be a hell of a lot better than your 18 year old shocks.

If you're limited on cash, either save up a little longer, or modify something else. The suspension is the dumbest thing to cheap out on. Your life is riding on that! (I've been around here long enough to see my members learn this the hard way... some of them ended up on their roof... thankfully, all have walked away, so far)
                              Agree never cheap out on suspension. I reccomend kyb GR-2's. They might be OEM replacments but they are gas filled ( nitrogen ) Vs oil filled like OEM shocks.

Comment

GR-2s are the absolute cheapest you should ever go for shocks on a lowered car. They're not the best... but they're reasonably safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X