Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Valve Cover Gasket Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just watch when you tighten the top bolts that hold the cover down cause i broke mine and had to do a whole mess with it a 30 min job turned in to a 2 day job lol....

Comment

Originally posted by cb7jdm91 View Post
      just watch when you tighten the top bolts that hold the cover down cause i broke mine and had to do a whole mess with it a 30 min job turned in to a 2 day job lol....
      Wow, did you read any of the dozen or so posts above? Almost every single person said do not over tighten the valve cover nuts...
      Last edited by Jon; 12-28-2009, 04:00 PM.
      Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by frootloops View Post
        Wow, did you read any of the dozen or so posts above? Almost every single person said do not over tighten the valve cover nuts...
        That put him at 29 posts....................

Comment

Originally posted by Brandoncb7 View Post
          That put him at 29 posts....................
          Oh.... now it makes a lot of sense why he posted a whopping six words in this thread.
          Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Oh.... now it makes a lot of sense why he posted a whopping six words in this thread.
            Oh well someone will notice it and take action if it keeps happening.

Op there's also going to be 8 o-rings that you'll need to replace. 4 of them are up top and 4 down below. The gasket set that I got when I did mine only came with 4 so you may want to make sure the set you're getting has all 8 plus the valve cover gasket when you buy it.

Comment

I think it's the Felpro sets that come with the VC gasket and all those other o0rings that the last few people were talking about, if you go to Honda, everything is sold individually.

Comment

Oh well someone will notice it and take action if it keeps happening.

Op there's also going to be 8 o-rings that you'll need to replace. 4 of them are up top and 4 down below. The gasket set that I got when I did mine only came with 4 so you may want to make sure the set you're getting has all 8 plus the valve cover gasket when you buy it.
                down below? like where the spark plugs go? i never knew that. how do you get the old ones out?
                2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
                VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise
                VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise part 2
                The single largest cruise in the Midwest!
                August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by theSOB View Post
                  down below? like where the spark plugs go? i never knew that. how do you get the old ones out?
                  Here you go sir.

http://hondatuning.info/accord-f22-s...l-replacement/

That site has vacuum diagrams and a bunch of other stuff so you might to look around just for the hell of it.

Comment

Here you go sir.

http://hondatuning.info/accord-f22-s...l-replacement/

That site has vacuum diagrams and a bunch of other stuff so you might to look around just for the hell of it.
                    thanks dude, thats awesome! new bookmark!
                    2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
                    VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise
                    VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise part 2
                    The single largest cruise in the Midwest!
                    August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

No problem

Comment

OWNED!

Yea, the gasket is easy to do. Just make sure it's on straight all the way around the valve cover before tightening it down. And even though it's been said many many times already, DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THEM! USE A TORQUE WRENCH!

Also, a valve adjustment would be ideal while you are replacing the gasket like drummersteve said.

Here's a good step by step for the procedure. It's more for a V type engine and not an inline engine, but it's basically the same concept.

Valve Adjustment Procedure

1. Valves can be set on a hot or cold engine. A cold engine is a lot more comfortable to work on. Major camshaft manufacturers recommend setting valves cold, to avoid erroneous adjustments on lifters that may be "pumped up" If you are setting valves on a fresh engine that has not been run, everything should be well lubricated before you begin.

2. Remove both valve covers and remove the spark plugs to make the engine easier to turn over. Also, If you are setting valves on all cylinders, it is generally easier and less confusing to just loosen all of the rocker arm adjustment nuts before you begin. This also allows for all of the internal lifter plungers to return to their "home" position.

3. Using a long handled ratchet or breaker bar attached to the crank bolt, turn the engine over in the clockwise direction.

A. Starting with #1 cylinder, turn the engine over until the exhaust pushrod just begins to move up.

B. At this point, stop and adjust the intake valve on the same cylinder.

1) Tighten the rocker until you can roll the pushrod between your thumb and forefinger with the slightest bit of resistance.

2) At this point tighten between an additional quarter to half of a turn.

C. You have now adjusted the #1 intake valve. You will now want to turn the engine over while watching the same intake pushrod that you just set, it will go full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. By following this procedure, you are assured that both of the lifters are at the base circle of the cam and that there is no additional pre-load applied to them from cam lift at this point.

D. You are now able to repeat this procedure on the remaining cylinders.

4.Re-install your valve covers and your valve adjustment procedure is finished
                        R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Working...
                        X