Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Valve Cover Gasket Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Cover Gasket Questions...

What are all the things I need to make sure I replace the Valve Cover Gasket seals correctly? What tools do I need? If anyone has done it before please leave me some feedback. THANKS!

go to the honda dealership, and buy the set, and i believe all you need is a 10mm socket and maybe a 12mm socket. do not over-tighten!

Be Clean

Comment

ten mil socket and a ratchet. make sure when you remove the valve cover that you take note to rememeber the order of the spark plug wires. make sure you get all of the old gasket out of the cover and scrape any off of the mating surface on the head, and clean the mating surface real good. it doesnt hurt to put a small amount of black or grey rtv around the corners on the valve cover to help seal it up and hold the gasket in place while you position it into place. after that just tighten the bolts to spec and run it and check for leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by nostringz View Post
        do not over-tighten!
        what he said

Comment

Fuck me lol. You ninja'd me with the same info.

Comment

There isn't much involved with changing the valve cover gasket.

To do it right all you will need is a wrench and a socket the right size.
            Pull the spark plug wires, unbolt the cover, tap cover with a deadblow hammer or other non marring object (ONLY if the valve cover just doesn't pop off), replace gasket, reinstall the nuts and you're done.

Now you should us an in./lb. torque wrench to tighten down the valve cover nuts because not all that much is needed to hold it down, so be very careful tightening them if you don't have an in./lb. torque wrench.

EDIT: LOL, wow 5 posts... I should really preview my post before posting.
            Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

ya dont over tighten or its a bitch. i over tightene twice in a row! and broke the studs. had to run to the junk yard twice that day to get replacements
              2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
              VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise
              VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise part 2
              The single largest cruise in the Midwest!
              August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by theSOB View Post
                ya dont over tighten or its a bitch. i over tightene twice in a row! and broke the studs. had to run to the junk yard twice that day to get replacements
                I've seen your car at Flashbacks before. It was interesting to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by D1sclaimer View Post
                  I've seen your car at Flashbacks before. It was interesting to say the least.
                  ya? u got a cb? i havent seen many around. ya its kinda my project. i get mixed reviews. but one compliments is worth any number of haters i see up there
                  2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
                  VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise
                  VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise part 2
                  The single largest cruise in the Midwest!
                  August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Id use the time to paint or at least repaint the black valve cover itself too.
                    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Final answer...

10mm socket/ratchet for removal of 4 acorn nuts and the ground wires. Pliers to remove breather hose, PCV can be pulled off.

The key is to reinstall 4 acorn nuts and torque to 9 lb-ft or 108 in-lbs. Tighten it evenly too. Inexperienced people break these valve cover studs with too much torque.

Only experienced people can torque them without torque wrenches successfully.
                      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

just a note: might wanna give yourself a valve adjustment while the valve cover is off...

totally up to you. but the timing is perfect since your replacing the gasket.

just an idea. Enjoy!
                        MadLab Racing
                        Southern Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by drummersteve7 View Post
                          just a note: might wanna give yourself a valve adjustment while the valve cover is off...

totally up to you. but the timing is perfect since your replacing the gasket.

just an idea. Enjoy!
                          Good point.
                          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Whole series on replacing gasket, even does on a f22, one thing though he doesn't have the upper seals, get your kit from oreilys or dealership cause advance doesn't include the uppers.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4462030_to...er-gasket.html

F22 Spark Plug Tube Seal Replacement this if you want to do the lowers
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...tube+seals+diy
                            Last edited by rayray91; 11-11-2009, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Old Indian trick

Use spray trim adhesive on the valve cover and the spark plug gasket holes before putting in the gasket. Wait until the glue is tacky then put the gasket in place. Just a light coat of glue so the gasket doesn't fall off when its tipped over.

And use silicone on the corners. I also use a flat exacto knife to scrape off the old gasket. Be careful though not to scratch up the surface. oh yea and alldata says Valve Cover Cap Nuts 7.2 ft.lb so not so tight.

My CB7 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=phalpin

Comment

Working...
                              X