Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

other vtecs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As per what deev said, read the stickies, educate yourself about the engines. And if you want to do the H series path, set a basic goal for yourself to how you want it. If you want to do a budget build, try not to set your aim too high.
    Personally, I would choose to stick with the F22A. I guess I'm not one of those people that like to rev high or go barreling down the street, but I wouldn't mind some extra power.
    Keep in mind that the F22 can be built to handle boost. So explore the sight, find what gains your interest, and if you find something you want to do and have the funds for it, do some searches on the topic. But if you can't find the answer you're looking for, don't hesitate to ask.

Check out Evo Garage for some JDM H series engines. These guys a quite well known in Canada. You could also check out craigslist in BC.
    http://www.evogarage.com/

Comment

I suggest against buying from a Canadian company when you're located in the US... simply because the laws protecting you in the US don't cover Canadian sellers. If your motor is broken, and the company won't be honest and replace or refund... then there's really not much you can do! Most reputable companies would make things right, so it's not really a huge concern... but there are worthwhile engine sellers in the US. www.hmotorsonline.com is the only one I would ever go to for an imported motor!

Boost is another option. The F22A can be boosted fairly easily and cheaply. For the cost of an H22 swap, you can probably make 220-250whp... as long as you shop smart, know what you're doing, and have it tuned properly!

I wouldn't push for more than 250whp with stock internals, even if you do everything right... but 250whp in a 3000lb car is nothing to shake a stick at! (for reference... an STi makes about that much power, and weighs nearly 400lbs more)

A turbo engine will eventually fail, though. So will an NA engine that's been pushed... but it depends on how you drive in both cases.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Boost is another option. The F22A can be boosted fairly easily and cheaply. For the cost of an H22 swap, you can probably make 220-250whp... as long as you shop smart, know what you're doing, and have it tuned properly!
        Really? 220-250? Wow!!! I knew that boosting could be done, but I didn't know it can put out numbers like that. That's quite impressive.
        Is that based on the DSM turbo set up? If so, I might actually consider this since I have an extra complete 4G63T.

Comment

I've seen 220whp with a 14b (AccordR33), and 250whp with a decent sized t3/t4 (MRX). Both cars are now gone. MRX finally blew, and Accord R33 sold his car (and I was told that the motor was ready to give by that time...)

You CAN get over 300whp on a stock block... but that won't last long! Keeping the boost moderately low will increase the life of the engine. Keeping it out of boost until you actually want to push it is another important factor (which, aside from heat production, is another reason why small turbos are a bad idea... go larger... 14b is too small!)

And of course, the tune is probably THE most important thing!

Comment

I wonder how a 16g with forged internal will hold up?

Comment

The "big" 16g is a decent sized turbo for a modest setup. If you have one of those and forged internals, you'd be in pretty good shape. With a good tune, and everything installed correctly, you could probably look at a reliable 250whp. Nothing is guaranteed, though. When you double the stock output of the motor... things can go wrong!

You'll definitely need a new clutch to handle the torque with turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                The "big" 16g is a decent sized turbo for a modest setup. If you have one of those and forged internals, you'd be in pretty good shape. With a good tune, and everything installed correctly, you could probably look at a reliable 250whp. Nothing is guaranteed, though. When you double the stock output of the motor... things can go wrong!

You'll definitely need a new clutch to handle the torque with turbo.
                That's why I never bothered working on my DSM any further. Sure the block is "bullet-proof" but when tampering with the turbo system, you have to be more than certain with you calculations or it will detonate. I've heard tons of horror stories from the local DSM guys and the DSM forums.

Comment

The same goes for Honda motors. The only difference is that Honda guys usually shoot for boost levels that the DSM guys are running in stock, or near stock, form. I think MRX was making his 250whp with around 14psi. I forget the specifics, but I'm sure his Members Ride thread is still around somewhere.

Of course, MRX and Accord R33, the two examples I used, are two of the more knowledgeable ECU tuners on this forum. In addition to lots of knowledge and a fair amount of experience, they're also both incredibly intelligent, and extremely meticulous.

Comment

I want to be able to put the hammer down and GO when i want to... im 18 and have driven american v-8s/v-6s for a while..

i like the fact that my buddies h22 is as fun to drive but gets 20mpg doing it...

so im thinking n/a build to get 220-250whp can it be done to my f22a1 with out bottomless pockets?

Click it.... You know you wanna
                    Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Comment

To get an F22A over 200whp, you'd most likely have to go into the bottom end. 250whp DEFINITELY needs new internals.

With work, the F22A can make 250-300whp and still be a decent daily driver (that would be subject to opinion, though... I estimate HondaFan81's project to be at about 250whp, and he said he wouldn't drive it daily... granted, he's an old guy like me...)

If your buddy only gets 20mpg with an H22, there's something wrong! I beat the piss out of mine, and I get 28-30 consistently.

Comment

the 20 was just a rough number lol...

i think im going to sit down and look through a bunch of f22 builds and price out what is gonna take to get 200-220whp outta both motors

Click it.... You know you wanna
                        Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Comment

Working...
                        X