Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cam not turning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam not turning!

ok well i bought an accord yesterday. I was told the timing belt was broke...

So today i took the covers off well the timing belt is in great condition.
    So I turned the car over with the valve cover off and UTOH! the cam isnt moving at all!
    The timing belt isnt moving at all when i turn the engine over
    what would cause this??
    Last edited by 91kid; 10-17-2009, 02:36 PM.

Click it.... You know you wanna
    Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Broken cam on the gear side or broken gear? It should be fairly obvious...
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Is there any oil on the cam at all, it sound like the cam is dry. That happened to me too. Try this

Remove the rocker assembly and do not let bolt from the rocker assembly fallou out. and put oil on the cam and rotate the cam to lubricate the cam journals putthe rocker assembly on and try to see if it the cam rotates.
      NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
      DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Originally posted by frootloops View Post
        Broken cam on the gear side or broken gear? It should be fairly obvious...
        I just re-read what he posted sound like a broken cam, I had that happen to me.
        NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
        DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

The cam is in oil... the head has a little like pan under the cam. The cam is not broken.. it would be really obvious... The cam gear that the belt attaches to is not turning.. timing belt isnt moving

Comment

The crankshaft is what turns the timing belt, which is what turns the cam. If you leave the car in gear, and push/move the car, does the timing belt move then? If it doesn't then I would think that the crankshaft might have snapped (You'll have to drop the oil pan to inspect). Either that or the problem lies with starter/transmission connection to the motor.

This is an educated guess... feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.
            PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Sounds like the timing belt broke down by the crank timing gear...

Pull the crank pulley off and get those timing covers off to take a look.
              Originally posted by sweet91accord
              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Yeah see, when you re-edit what you previously posted... sounds like a broken timing belt or SOMETHING associated with the timing gear/pulley.

IF the timing belt was moving and the cam wasn't, then I'd stick with what I previously posted.
                Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

You might have some bent valves too, if the motor is cranking, but not the head

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                  -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

Pull on the timing belt and see if it's loose. It may have snapped down low, as others have said. Even if the crank snapped (which is VERY uncommon), the crank gear would still turn the timing belt.

If the timing belt snapped... yes, you may have internal damage. It may be cheaper and easier just to replace the motor, and use this one for parts.

Comment

If your timing belt is actually not broken, check your accessory belts...if they are moving and the timing belt isn't, it would mean that that little key thing is broken...I think. Anyone heard of that actually happening?

Comment

I've seen crank keys snap but only in amazingly high stress conditions... the timing belt is tight around the top gear i tried to pull on it and it wouldnt budge...

Im starting to think broken crank key.. but how would i inspect that without removing half the motor?

Im used to big/small block gm v-8s im new to this honda scene.. sorry i wasnt clearer in my original post

Comment

Originally posted by 91kid View Post
                          I've seen crank keys snap but only in amazingly high stress conditions... the timing belt is tight around the top gear i tried to pull on it and it wouldnt budge...

Im starting to think broken crank key.. but how would i inspect that without removing half the motor?

Im used to big/small block gm v-8s im new to this honda scene.. sorry i wasnt clearer in my original post
                          You stated that the timing belt is tight around the top gear. The belt actually wraps around a couple of more gears inside. Your best bet is to break down the timing belt cover and VISUALLY inspect the entire belt.

Comment

I thought if the cam wasnt turning it meant that you seized up the engine?
                            -Will

Comment

crank key was mentioned...but more obvious...cam key.

does the belt spin?
                              if the belt spins and the cam gear spins while cam "rod" does not, either broken cam key or broken cam

if belt does not spin, crank key
                              ____

Comment

Working...
                              X