Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Temp Gauge Acting Funny :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp Gauge Acting Funny :(

Hey there all well i have a bit of a problem, when i turn my key to the on position with the engine cold , the temp gauge jumps up past the H mark right away , even before the engine has had a chance to warm up . could this be a cooling prob or something wrong with my gauge cluster. Also , my odometer stopped working a long time ago lol, could that have something to do with it ? Does anyone have any clue to what that might be ? any opinions and help would be much appreciated , thanks

The cluster may be shot, or you may have a wiring short somewhere.

Swapping the cluster would probably be the easiest thing to test first. It's a bit of a pain to get out, but not too bad.

Comment

it's a one wire connection in the passenger side of the cylinder head. check if the gauge moves when you unplug it. it should go down to nothing.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
        it's a one wire connection in the passenger side of the cylinder head. check if the gauge moves when you unplug it. it should go down to nothing.
        so i disconected the one wire from the the coolant temp gauge and the needle went to nothing , would that mean thats the prob is the coolant temp sensor ?

Comment

It's possible. It shows that the sensor is at least sending something... The error could be in the sensor, or in the cluster reading the signal from the sensor.

The sensor would be easier and cheaper to replace, though. I'd go for that first. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, it never hurts to have a nice new sensor!

Comment

yea, it's the sensor.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

well i wanted to test the fans and other components too while i was takin things apart, I made a jumper wire for the harnesses to the condensor fan and the fan turned right on. the only thing was that the jumper wire worked great to turn the fan on when the engine was off , but once i turned the engine on i tried the jumper wire again and nothing happened. could this be a faulty relay ? or is that how its supposed to work. i was waiting for a while for the fan to turn on by itself after i reconnected the harness and ran the engine for a while but it didnt, i also just replaced the thermostat and dropped in some new coolant. could it be possilbe that the engine just wasnt getting hot enough for the fans to kick on ? these cooling probs are a pain

Comment

it might be the sensor on the water neck or the temp switch near the thermostat housing

Comment

Originally posted by semitas View Post
                  it might be the sensor on the water neck or the temp switch near the thermostat housing
                  alrighty then , so i changed the coolant temp gauge sending unit , both condensor fan switchs (the one on the thermostat housing and the one on the upper radiator hose neck), and the coolant temp sensor for the ecm , and its still doing it. but now its a little different, when i turn the key to on with the engine off it doesnt go up. but then ill turn the car on , and the engine will be running for about 45 secs and then it jumps up past the H again, like i said before , i already put a jumper wire on both fans and they kicked right on , so i guess that the prob would be the gauge cluster right ?? ...so hhhmmm....does anyone have an extra gauge cluster for a 92 ex they wanna give away or sell if anyone else thinks that this might be something else please post it up

Comment

I've heard that this is a symptom of a blown head gasket.

Just something i've heard. Maybe something to look in to.

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
                    I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

the reason y ur fan does that is because when its jumped it still has to work with ur temp sensor. there are 2 diff temp sensors in our cars. one is the normal temp which is on the head the other is the fan temp sensor which kicks the fan on at a certain temp past 190 degrees f. if u jump one the fans stay on even if the car is off. it will stay on about 10-15 min. after they stop they wont come back on till u turn ur key on again.

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by Ander View Post
                        I've heard that this is a symptom of a blown head gasket.

Just something i've heard. Maybe something to look in to.
                        Blown head gasket ! man i really hope that isnt true.

Comment

well the fan kicked on after a little bit after the thermostat opened up, but the gauge is still reading way past high. ......does anyone know of a way to check engine temps without using the cluster ?

Comment

have u checked the groundings?the same thing happened to mine..i found out that the bolt holding the pin was loose..its located on the passenger kick panel with a white plastic cover holding bunch of black wires..on the service manual it says G401 & G402..

good luck..

Comment

its def. that sensor under the distributor. I had a wiring issue though...since that plastic plug gets BAKED b/c it gets so hot, when I was replacing my headgasket on my F22, I had to unplug it. And since it was never unplugged for 14 years, the plug broke.

So do this, go to the JY and find a better condition connector and cut and splice that one onto your existing wiring. Solder it and shrink wrap it if possible. If that doesn't work, then you know its the sensor.

Its either one or the other, the connector or the sensor.

member's ride thread
                              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                              91 Accord SE 176k
                              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                              X