Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Plugs detonating very fast,HELP.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugs detonating very fast,HELP.

So,my car had been randomly missing for the past week or so,so i decide to take a look at the plugs.When i took them out they were black,and grey.They were pretty much fried.So i was like ok cool,heres the problem.I changed them and everything was fine for the next 4 days.The next day im' leaving my girlfriends house and the miss starts happening again.I get home,and the plugs are all black just like the old ones were,but i had just put them in that same week.What could be causing them to detonate so quickly?

spoonsportsaddict

I think you may be misusing the term "detonate".

The plugs are black? Or gray?

If they're black and sooty, then it's likely that you're running way rich. If they gray, speckled, and chalky, then that indicates detonation in the cylinder. Could be running lean.

Is your CEL on? If not, are you sure it works (does it light up briefly when you turn the car on?)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      I think you may be misusing the term "detonate".

The plugs are black? Or gray?

If they're black and sooty, then it's likely that you're running way rich. If they gray, speckled, and chalky, then that indicates detonation in the cylinder. Could be running lean.

Is your CEL on? If not, are you sure it works (does it light up briefly when you turn the car on?)
      They are black and sooty.I dont believe my cel light has a bulb in it...nor does my check engine light.Could it be the tune i'm on causing it to run so rich?If so is there someway i can make it run leaner till i get the money for a new tune?

spoonsportsaddict

Comment

It could be. If you have a custom tune, then I really couldn't say what it was unless I knew what was done. The o2 sensor might be bad as well. Get that CEL fixed, and it'll tell you the problem.

Comment

It could be. If you have a custom tune, then I really couldn't say what it was unless I knew what was done. The o2 sensor might be bad as well. Get that CEL fixed, and it'll tell you the problem.
          Its just a ls/vtec basemap with more fuel ,two step,and 4500 vtec.

So my o2 could cause it to run this rich?

spoonsportsaddict

Comment

If the o2 is shot, it'll just result in the ECU dumping excess fuel to keep things safe. It's also possible that your map is too rich... and that could end up killing plus, as well as the o2 sensor. It's that "more fuel" that makes me think that is the case.

Comment

If the o2 is shot, it'll just result in the ECU dumping excess fuel to keep things safe. It's also possible that your map is too rich... and that could end up killing plus, as well as the o2 sensor. It's that "more fuel" that makes me think that is the case.
              Well his "boy" street tuned it...so i knew it wasn't going to be the best tune in the world.Would trying a virgin p28 and seeing what happens healp diagnose the tune problem?

spoonsportsaddict

Comment

Potentially. I don't know much about LS/VTECs so I can't say for sure.

Get back in a damn CB7, would you? I know what to do with those!

Comment

Originally posted by JDMchristian991 View Post
                  I dont believe my cel light has a bulb in it...nor does my check engine light.
                  'Check Engine Light' and "cel light" are the same thing, i.e. C.E.L.

You need to find out exactly what was done with the 'custom tune', and then maybe undo it...

Or, you could just have a faulty sensor, or a very dirty air filter...
                  Regards from Oz,
                  John.

Comment

Since the tune isn't for your particular car, that would be the first thing I would address.

The o2 sensor, if it wasn't bad before, may be fouled by now. Your CEL would tell you that, if it worked.

Comment

I would check all the obvious things first - your filters, if the ECU stored a check engine code, wiring, etc.
                      Then get (borrow if you can) a wideband oxygen sensor with a gauge - this is basically the ONLY way to make sure that the fuel map was tuned by a knowledgeable person. Somebody may have "street tuned" it, but 1. it could have been a beginner tuner 2. it was obviously tuned for another car, and 3. all humans make mistake.
                      You could at least get the basemap file you are running(can extract it with any compatible chip burner), send it to somebody who has experience with LSVTECs, and have them look at it.

EDIT: when you have somebody look at your map, you can also have them disable your O2 sensor - to rule that out.
                      Last edited by rexload; 10-03-2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Did you get rid of your CB again?
                        Originally posted by sweet91accord
                        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

either that or there is a exhast leak before the o2 making the sensor see more oxygen and dumping fuel to compensate.

or it can be a faulty fuel pressure regulator

easiest way to check that is to take off the vac line and see if fuel is in it.
                          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Were there any supporting mods that gave a necessary reason for richening it up?
                            Did it start fouling plugs after the tune was done?

I'd say its the tune causing the plugs to foul, however you need to put a bulb in and check for any codes as running rich can also damage O2 sensors

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

You haven't by any chance fitted one of those 'extra 20hp' 'chips'?
                              Regards from Oz,
                              John.

Comment

Working...
                              X