Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Question about f23a1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about f23a1

Hey I was looking for an f23 block to swap my f22a1 head on(I am boosting my motor and I don't wan't to boost with 210000 miles already on the block.). anyways, I came across a full f23a1 for about 300 dollars. My question is, is the vtec for the f23a1 performance vtec? or just economy vtec? also, would I be better off swapping the motor as a whole(keep in mind it is OBD2 and I would have to wire for vtec etc.) or swapping my head onto it and utilize the extra displacement and lower CR for boost?

Originally posted by 14bcb7 View Post
    Hey I was looking for an f23 block to swap my f22a1 head on(I am boosting my motor and I don't wan't to boost with 210000 miles already on the block.). anyways, I came across a full f23a1 for about 300 dollars. My question is, is the vtec for the f23a1 performance vtec? or just economy vtec? also, would I be better off swapping the motor as a whole(keep in mind it is OBD2 and I would have to wire for vtec etc.) or swapping my head onto it and utilize the extra displacement and lower CR for boost?

That is indeed an economy VTEC. Heres the H and F series compression ratio calculator. http://www.zealautowerks.com/hfseries.html
    www.PreludePower.com
    BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

f23 block with f22 head has been done I believe...though the person that did it refused to share even the slightest amount of info...dah well...they aren't obligated to...point being you won't find a good diy or how to for it.

start with head gasket comparison...go from there. I wouldn't bother with the f23 head...go with f22 head and f23 block.

The f22 head does flow better and has better potential imo

Will it work...who knows...you'll have to do a LOT of measuring and research. Maybe...just maybe...once you've done the research to see HOW likely it is, those that have done it will help you out via pm's and such...I'm not one of 'em just saying.

there's a lot of talk and no action when it comes to this.

*edit
      nice site...coolness

This calculator is intended for use as a general estimate of your compression only. Not all values are verified.
      ____

Comment

Originally posted by BLUBB2 View Post
        That is indeed an economy VTEC. Heres the H and F series compression ratio calculator. http://www.zealautowerks.com/hfseries.html
        Awesome. Thanks. the calculator says I would be running 9.3:1 which is not bad for turbo.

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
        f23 block with f22 head has been done I believe...though the person that did it refused to share even the slightest amount of info...dah well...they aren't obligated to...point being you won't find a good diy or how to for it.

start with head gasket comparison...go from there. I wouldn't bother with the f23 head...go with f22 head and f23 block.

Will it work...who knows...you'll have to do a LOT of measuring and research. Maybe...just maybe...once you've done the research to see HOW likely it is, those that have done it will help you out via pm's and such...I'm not one of 'em just saying.

*edit
        nice site...coolness
        I may just have some headwork done and swap heads.

Comment

if anyone else has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

As much as I support the use of the F22A head... if I were in this position, I would choose the full F23A1 and boost it. Even though the F22A head flows better, the F23A1 will make plenty of power with boost, and you won't have to be concerned with the potential reliability issues associated with a headswap AND turbo.

Since you'll be going turbo, you'll have to convert the F23A1 to OBD1 for tuning anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              As much as I support the use of the F22A head... if I were in this position, I would choose the full F23A1 and boost it. Even though the F22A head flows better, the F23A1 will make plenty of power with boost, and you won't have to be concerned with the potential reliability issues associated with a headswap AND turbo.

Since you'll be going turbo, you'll have to convert the F23A1 to OBD1 for tuning anyway.
              True. It's basically only the distributor and ecu right?

Comment

Ok. Update. I realized the f23a1 exhaust ports look like this O--OO--O as opposed to O-O-O-O for the f22a1. Although it would love to swap the whole f23a1, I am going to be running a DSM setup and the manifold wont work the the f23a1. So unless anyone knows of a DSM manifold that will work for the f23a1 (or f22b1 for that matter), I guess I'm going f22a1 head on the f23a1 block. Question, will I have to bore out the head to match?

Comment

You won't have to... but it might be a good idea.

DSM manifolds came on DSMs. With 4G63 engines. With 0_0_0_0 port layouts.

There are manifolds available for the F22B1 and F23A1 that you can buy. It would probably be far more reliable to boost a complete engine, and not take your chances building a frankenstein motor for use with turbo. Some have done it successfully... others have failed miserably.

Comment

The only manifolds I found for the f23a1 are for a t3 flange. I already have my turbine/o2 housing/manifold for my f22a1, so I don't really want to have to buy a new setup. So my options at this point are limited to boosting the f22a1/f23a1 hybrid, or finding a dsm flanged f23a1 turbo mani.

Comment

Get a mani with a t3 flange and change the flange, or get an adapter. It'd be cheaper, easier, and more reliable than building a frankenstein motor. That, or sell what you have and buy a t3.

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post

*edit
                        nice site...coolness
                        Yes it will work fine I already did it . All you have to do is buy a new head gasket for the F22 and take the oil control orifice out of your f22 block and screw it into F23 block. This step is for the F23 vtec block since that block didn't come with the oil control orifice due to the vtec head. After all that is done, simply bolt your F22A head to the F23 block of your choice. The timing and balance shaft belts are all the same.

Comment

right on man, I am doing this same build (once my wallet catches up with my plans that is!)

F23a motors came vtec and non vtec.

F23a1/4 are vtec and rated at 9.3:1. and like F22a90 stated, all you have to do it plug up that oil control orifice.

F23a5 is non vtec so you may be leaning towards this block right now since there is no hole you have to plug...but it only yields a CR of 8.8:1.

Although theoretically the lower the CR the safer...9.3:1 won't blow anything up if you know how to tune and will definitely give you an increase in power.

A while back a member on here was running an f23a1/4 block with an f22a6 head N/A and loved the increase in CR, power, and displacement.

All hail the F Franks!!!!!!

GLWB holmes

Andy

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

wow first off i have to say the noob has some experience to him/\/\.he beat me to the punch.
                            also u will have to use the f22 harness so it will stay obd1.and when u swap the head use the f22 intake mani too it will save u some problems wire wise.and use ur f22 ecu unless u have a chipped ecu ready for a tune.
                            /\/\ this guy explained it in a nut shell really theres nuthin else to kno.

my new turbo build

Comment

Working...
                            X