Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

PROBLEM! Eng won't turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PROBLEM! Eng won't turn over

Hey! I'm freakin out cause it's the first test week for all us med interns and now my car won't start! It's a 93 10th Ann w/ stock motor (135k). It powers on just fine, the starter turns at the normal speed, BUT it never catches. It almost caught once but only got to 100rpm and died. The spark plugs, igniter, cap, and rotor were just replaced a few yrs ago but I won't rule them out. So for brainstorming, it MIGHT be:
    cap/rotor
    igniter
    fuel pump
    fuel filter
    ignition relays
    I have 3 tests this week so I can't do alot of diagnosing/fixing but I could use some opinions and suggestions of places to look. Thx!
    Shankenstein

Ignition coil could be the problem. As could dirty or loose battery connections.
    Also, the main relay could go bad. It controls the fuel pump. Pull a spark plug out and crank the engine. If you smell fuel, then we can narrow it down to a spark issue. No fuel, then replacing that main relay would be the first thing to do (fuel pump is next... but that's far more involved).

If you managed to get it to catch briefly, then I'm leaning toward a spark issue... which is easier to fix.

Comment

does it sound like it has compression?
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I had a loose battery connection and the starter just didn't get any power and only clicked, no starty. Previously to that though I had exactly what you're describing and it ended up being the main relay. What I would do is turn the key to accesory (the key position right before starting the engine) and listen for the fuel pump. If you don't hear it, it's prolly the main relay.

Just my .02

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
        I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

I can never hear my fuel pump. Then again, I've been playing in punk bands for the past 10 years... might have something to do with it. Smelling gas from an open spark plug hole works well also.
          A lot of people hear their radio antenna motor and think it's the fuel pump.

Comment

That is true, I disconnected the power to my antenna motor so I can always hear mine. You could always pop the hood and have someone turn the key to try and listen to it. Or do like you said and smell for fuel, or do both! You're more likely to hear/smell something that way lol.

Member's Ride Thread

I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the input! I won't actually get to look at much till Th PM since I have a DisPatho3 and Psych test tomorrow and another Th. It was so sad, I had to borrow my roommates '95 Lumina today. . . It's heavy, throttle and suspension are soggy, it wants to be a Caddy but fails. Moral of the story: Appreciate your CB!
              Back on topic, I tried to listen for relays and fuel pump from the driver's seat but can't hear anything over the antenna and the startup beeps. I'm gonna try these again closer to the real locations. So far I'm up for doing a visual on the plugs/cap/rotor, checking for fuel, and maybe doing a spark check.

HOLY SNAP, bisi headers are only $600??? if I can get running, I'm on that list!

Comment

If you wanna disconnect the power to the antenna motor it's just a relay in the trunk, if you buckle yer seatbelt there shouldn't be any start up noise other than the fuel pump. Generally the fuel pump runs for the duration of the light check for the check engine light when you turn the car to accesory.

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

cool, I didn't know there was a relay in the back. My power antenna quit workin a few yrs back but the motor still runs. I took out the fuse up front but it killed my radio so I just let the motor grind anyway. I'll try that trick tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Shankenstein View Post
                    HOLY SNAP, bisi headers are only $600??? if I can get running, I'm on that list!
                    They're only that cheap if we can get 50 definite buyers in the group buy. Fix that thing! We're not even halfway there, unless we've had quite a few additions to the list since I last looked.

Comment

Originally posted by Shankenstein View Post
                      cool, I didn't know there was a relay in the back. My power antenna quit workin a few yrs back but the motor still runs. I took out the fuse up front but it killed my radio so I just let the motor grind anyway. I'll try that trick tonight!
                      Yeah mine was exactly the same way. I just pushed the antenna all the way down (it was stuck up) and pulled the power. I like the way it looks with no antenna. If you want a picture or description of where it is, just ask.

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

So I had a fun WTF moment earlier. After I got back from being destroyed by a scary butch woman about antibiotics (she looks JUST like Louis Anderson), I went and did 5mins of lookin at the car.

The connections are OK on the spark wires, plugs, igniter, fuel lines, pump, etc. Everything I can check w/ no tools wearing a lab coat. I gave it a crank just for funsies and BAM! it caught on the 2nd turn of the starter. I let it recarge the battery and tried again just to be sure. But really folks, WTF?!?

With my karma, it's probly completely safe to drive now but is this some evil joke it's playing on me? It failed all attempts for 2 days after I'd checked the connections once before. This is good I guess but I'm definitely

Comment

Have the past few days been hotter than today? Sitting in the heat often causes things to malfunction, and they can resume proper function (better, at least) once it cools down.

If you have issues on a hot day again, try it again at night when it cools down and see.

Of course, if it's heat that's causing the issues... it still leaves the main relay, igniter, and coil as the main culprits.

Comment

it's actually been unseasonally cool and rainy down here for the last week straight. A really weird thing to note tho. For some odd reason, the gauges were flashing up that all the doors and trunk were open. This came on and off kinda randomly a few times. The SRS reel light and ABS light have been on for years (meh.) but it seems like a wiring short for this. The door indicators do work but all the rest still come on at random... haunted perhaps?

Comment

Sounds like your car needs some of your own med TLC. I think you have multiple problems with your car that need attention.
                              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
                              X