Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

weird ignition switch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weird ignition switch issue

I'ts been a month now that i own this cb7 and i'm starting to know it better and fixing things as the days go by.

I discovered today that if i leave the light on when i shut the motor,the motor keep running.The dashlight just dims a little bit when i shut the light but the motor keeps going.

Is this a electrical problem or a way to save the battery?( it works fine i guess )

I know about the shime,even my 85 lx had it and my cd5 have it too.Any toughts?

Anyone?

Comment

Weird...

It's definitely not supposed to do that. There must be a short somewhere allowing the ignition system to find feral power from the headlights.
      Regards from Oz,
      John.

Comment

Does the car have an alarm? Or can you find any evidence that it once did?

Many alarms will flash the headlights when they activate, and they also can come with an ignition cutoff.
        I'm wondering if a botched install, or possibly a botched removal, could be the reason.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.Yesterday,i did a cruise control removal so i went under the dash to unhook the wire and take the CC relay out.I discovered that it was held by two tie-raps(probably someone removed it to reach the main relay).

Once that out of the way, i found out that the yellow wire (the one that goes from the main relay harness to somewhere towards the ignition switch) had been cut and wire back with another wire.Maybe that has to do with that issue.

Deevergote,the car has no alarm,but i found a hole(about the size of a light) in the plastic cover beside the rear window defog switch...maybe someone removed it and did a quick job.

Thanks for your help!
          Last edited by nighthawk57; 09-20-2009, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Yeah, someone DEFINITELY removed an alarm from your car. It seems that they did a hack-job of putting it back together.

It's going to be a total pain, but your only option is to look at the wiring diagram for your year (there were minor wiring changes in all years, not sure how extensive) and see what you can do.

Comment

thanks for the suggestion,i will take a look at the wiring diagram.Since it's not a major issue,i will try to fix it myself.If i can't ,i will ask my mechanic to take a look at it next time i take my car in.

Imagine,they diden't put tape on the wire they hook up togheter,it was just hanging there,by the CC relay box.....
              I guess they where in a hurry

Comment

Yeah, that's a clear indication that they took no care in putting it back together. The car started... job done. Probably yanked it last minute to sell the car, and put the alarm in something new.

Comment

Yeah that is probably what they done!"the car started,job done"

I'm happy i went down there and caught it,before it made contact and short something.

Comment

Working...
                  X