Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

cylinder head bolts wont come off!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cylinder head bolts wont come off!!!

ok i have a 91lx auto ..my problems is 5 of the head bolt wont come off ive tried a impact wrench breaker bar etc...i jus keep breaking socket after socket what else could i do to get them loose? sorry for the noob question ive looked and looked and cant find anything thanks to all

what type of sockets are you using? you should be using a deep 1/2 drive 14mm 12point impact socket (usually dark or black colored sockets) along w/ a 1/2 breaker bar to loosen up the head bolts. chrome sockets dont have enough strength and usually snap..also use some quailty sockets like craftsmen, sk, mac, and snap-on...

Comment

i was using craftsman and snap on but same thing happen...well im heading to lowes to pick up another socket A BETTER one this time. lol thanks man greatly apprechiated

Comment

did you try it with cheater pipe?

Comment

I would use a six point impact socket. A twelve point might strip it out. it happened to me once.

My CB7 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=phalpin

Comment

thaks to all should be getting one in the next couple days

Comment

Originally posted by slomofo View Post
              i was using craftsman and snap on but same thing happen...well im heading to lowes to pick up another socket A BETTER one this time. lol thanks man greatly apprechiated
              so you were using snap on and you're going to lowes to get a better socket?

so my 4000 dollar tool bill with snap on means nothing when i could've went to lowes.

i dont think you were using an impact socket... chrome sockets are usually too hard and break when using them to break bolts free. impact sockets are softer, and able to take the rougher torque trying to break them free.

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord View Post
                so you were using snap on and you're going to lowes to get a better socket?

so my 4000 dollar tool bill with snap on means nothing when i could've went to lowes.
                Exactly. I've broken so many sockets and wrenches from Craftsman, Husky, ect., but not my MAC or Snap Ons.

And I've only had one impact socket break. This might have been because I was using it in 20° weather... all I know was it was not fun.

Good luck getting those bolts off, kinda surprised that they are being that difficult to get off.
                Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

u can also try putting the deep socket on the bolt and hitting it with a hammer a few times. it can "shock" the bolt and help in removal

Comment

I had the same problem. After breaking a few sockets (Craftsman Impact Grade and Chrome), I realized that as the sockets split open, it rounded off the bolt head I was trying to remove.

Yes, a 1/2 inch drive six-point impact grade 14mm socket (NOT deep-set) with a cheater bar is needed to get out those bolts you have not rounded off. I say no deep-set sockets since I split a Craftsman Impact Grade Deep Set 14mm Socket, but never damaged the 14mm Impact Grade Standard Depth Socket. I used a 22" 1/2 inch drive cheater bar with a 4 foot long Schedule 40 Steel pipe on those sockets and was able to get the undamaged bolts out. Hammering the top of the bolt to shock the threads at the base is another good suggestion.

Impact guns may only serve to damage the bolt heads and should be used carefully.

The bolt that I rounded off had to be drilled. I took off enough to knock off the bolt head and remove the valvetrain. I never got around to removing the stud from the block since I discovered cylinder sleeve damage* on the engine I was rebuilding; I disposed of the motor and started with a new one.

* The sleeve damage was a result of a connecting rod failure, not the bolt removal process.
                    1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
                    C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
                    MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
                    ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
                    You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

Go find a long metal tube lol. It will give you great leaverage and make it come off a lot easier. Hopefully that will work for your case lol. Ive also seen people use torque wrenches and that seems to work pretty good lol.

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
                      New people click here

Comment

impact is softer which is why they dont break, so it will just round the head bolt off.

use a chrome and a really good one. take the rocker assembly off and the cam, it should give you more clearance.

make sure you dont tweak the retainers on the valve, you'll easily bend the valve and stick it. it's happen in a numerous ocassions.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

try not to use a deep socket if you can. You get better leverage on the bolt head if you're closer to it w/ a long breaker bar. I know when I had to do my F22 headgasket, they made all kinds of loud creaking noise when i was breaking them free. But like everyone says, get a 12 pt socket if it calls for a 12 pt socket, it'll lock onto the head of the bolt better.

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I used 1/2" Powerbuilt Impact Deep Socket 12point with a 1/2" Craftsman 2ft breaker bar.

I had to use it, all my 3/8" Drive parts kept breaking haha.
                            You have to use 1/2" though
                            Your man for wiring solutions!
                            CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
                            CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

Wow...I just can't imagine a head bolt being that tight. It's not like they can rust into place because the block is aluminum.

can anyone explain how a head bolt can be this tight ???

Comment

Working...
                              X