Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1992 Accord wont start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 Accord wont start.

Specs.
    1992 Honda Accord
    5 Speed
    F22A1
    240,000 Miles

Okay guys. Im going to explain what happened and what I have done so far. I am completely stumped at this point.

Yesterday I got in my car and started it right up and proceded to drive down my driveway. When I pulled onto the road the car stalled when i shifted into second. I attempted to restart, and I got the engine to sputter violently and stall once more. I pulled it home with my tractor and put her on jack stands.

Has spark to all plugs.
    Has a new air filter.
    Has a brand new PVC valve.
    Newish plugs, in good condition.
    I removed the head cover and inspected the timing belt from there. Seems fine and tight.
    I know its getting fuel because the plugs are covered with gas.

I sprayed starting fluid into the throttle body and cranked it. No signs of life.
    When the engine cranks, it does so without any horrible noises coming from the engine, so I believe my internals are fine.
    I can hear the fuel pump running and the injectors seem to be delivering fuel.

If you guys and gals could throw me a few sugestions, please do so and I will post said results. Thanks!!

if you have spark/fuel/compression, checking your timing.

Comment

Sounds kinda like what my 90 coupe used to do...then the headgasket went..

-Jordan

I ♥/Miss My Coupe

Comment

alright guys. thanks! ill check timing. is there an easy way of knowing the headgasket is bad? i drained the oil and it was clean and the antifreeze is nice and green. let me know....

Comment

how do you know you have spark? It sounds like a spark delivery or timing problem is why i ask.

to check the headgasket you do a compression and leakdown test see how fast the cylinder psi leaks down) on each cylinder but really I don't think you should jump ahead and do that unless you happen to have the compression tester at hand.
          Last edited by batever; 09-06-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Make sure all battery connections and grounds are clean and tight. Dirty or loose battery cables at the terminals can cause a loss in voltage. It will be enough to crank, but not enough to start the car.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
              how do you know you have spark? It sounds like a spark delivery or timing problem is why i ask.
              x2. if your spark plugs have gas on them and there is spark then the car should start. recheck for spark and check the timing. might be something going on with the dizzy (rotor button, cap, or ignitor).

Comment

how u check for spark is stick a screwdriver or something metal at the end of the spark plug wire i jus had to do it a day ago and x2 on checkin all the grounds and battery cables

Comment

ok for future reference, all my electrical connections have been mulled over, cleaned and put back together. and i know I have spark because i took all the plugs out one by one and tested for spark(taught my younger brother to never hold a plugged in sparkplug) ha. how exactly would I know if there was a problem with the ECU?

Comment

Originally posted by vandals6676 View Post
                    ok for future reference, all my electrical connections have been mulled over, cleaned and put back together. and i know I have spark because i took all the plugs out one by one and tested for spark(taught my younger brother to never hold a plugged in sparkplug) ha. how exactly would I know if there was a problem with the ECU?
                    under the passenger side glove box (redundant i know) up on the right side of the firewall you will find a blue connector with two holes in it.

jumper the two holes with a paperclip or something, then turn the ignition to the on setting.

the car may flash you a code, with long blinks for the tens digit and short blinks for the ones digit.

post back with any code that you get or the results of this experiment.

Comment

Damn.

Alright. Me and my buddy took my CB apart last night. All was well until we came to the bolt that holds the crank pulley. It will not come off. We used a brand new Ingersoll-Rand torque gun(1,300lbs). Then we used a one foot extension on top of a block of wood and but a 5 foot piece on fence post, and it snapped one foot, half inch thick breaker bar extension. Can someone verify the thread direction on the crankshaft pulley? And I discovered that the outer ring on the crankshaft pulley(harmonic balancer) came loose and chewed the plastic cover over the timing belt. F**kin A!! I haven't tried heat yet, on the bolt because I have always been shy on heating parts like that. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Comment

BTW..... Obviously I have determined that my timing belt was very loose, and the stalling on my car must have caused the belt to skip timing. When we took it apart, we discovered that the car was almost 180 degrees out of timing. No bent valves!!!! Im so glad it died when it did.

Comment

Alright. Me and my buddy took my CB apart last night. All was well until we came to the bolt that holds the crank pulley. It will not come off. We used a brand new Ingersoll-Rand torque gun(1,300lbs). Then we used a one foot extension on top of a block of wood and but a 5 foot piece on fence post, and it snapped one foot, half inch thick breaker bar extension. Can someone verify the thread direction on the crankshaft pulley? And I discovered that the outer ring on the crankshaft pulley(harmonic balancer) came loose and chewed the plastic cover over the timing belt. F**kin A!! I haven't tried heat yet, on the bolt because I have always been shy on heating parts like that. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
                          How did you secure the crankshaft from rotating when you did this action with the fencepost? I'm curious. There is a 50mm hex pulley holder available for the purpose, or you can use a slightly modified (filed down to size hex) plumbing fitting of appropriate size welded to a steel rod.

It is counterclockwise (lefty-loosey) to loosen. Which is the same direction as normal crankshaft travel, so don't try using the "starter trick" to loosen the nut as that will only tighten it or break it.

Since you have the impact gun, and since you already have a damaged crankshaft pulley, I'd say go ahead and use heat on the crankshaft pulley bolt in this case, then hit it counterclockwise with the gun. The main concern with using heat on that thing I think is damaging the rubber ring on the pulley, but in your case you're gonna need another pulley anyways. The other concern with heat would be the effect of the heat on the steel in the bolt but I can't speak to that. I suspect you'll be fine.

Another thing you can try is holding onto the 19mm impact socket with your hand while you use it and hold it/turn it *clockwise* with your hand against the impact gun's *counterclockwise* loosening action. This will take slack out of the socket-impact gun connection and give you more effective power. You may need to hit it in a number of four-second bursts to get it to loosen without heat, as it sounds like you've got a tough one to loosen there.
                          Last edited by batever; 09-11-2009, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Hillbilly.

It was an interesting one. I am clueless about this car in general, so we popped the little rubber peephole cover for the flywheel and put a big ole pry bar in there and held on for dear life. I live in the sticks and i'm poor so we do what we can. haha. I guess im going to have to break down and heat that evil bitch up. It sat over night with copious amounts of PB and still wont break free. Since I don't know how long the timing belt cover has had a gash in it, should I be concerned about the condition of the internal pulleys? And thanks Honda for making such a great engineering design for the Crank Pulley. And thanks batever for giving me these tips. I'll report in after heat and torque.

Comment

Specs.
                              1992 Honda Accord
                              5 Speed
                              F22A1
                              240,000 Miles

Okay guys. Im going to explain what happened and what I have done so far. I am completely stumped at this point.

Yesterday I got in my car and started it right up and proceded to drive down my driveway. When I pulled onto the road the car stalled when i shifted into second. I attempted to restart, and I got the engine to sputter violently and stall once more. I pulled it home with my tractor and put her on jack stands.

Has spark to all plugs.
                              Has a new air filter.
                              Has a brand new PVC valve.
                              Newish plugs, in good condition.
                              I removed the head cover and inspected the timing belt from there. Seems fine and tight.
                              I know its getting fuel because the plugs are covered with gas.

I sprayed starting fluid into the throttle body and cranked it. No signs of life.
                              When the engine cranks, it does so without any horrible noises coming from the engine, so I believe my internals are fine.
                              I can hear the fuel pump running and the injectors seem to be delivering fuel.

If you guys and gals could throw me a few sugestions, please do so and I will post said results. Thanks!!

Jump start it?

Comment

Working...
                              X