Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

rpm gauge problem its going crazy!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rpm gauge problem its going crazy!!!

so i have a 92 accord lx and when i drive normal its reads fine but when i go fast it starts bouncing to like 7 grand and then reading fine for a sec and then again goes crazy is it a switch going bad or the tach itself or wat?????????

Check all your grounds.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
    Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
    My member's ride

Comment

it is the ignitor in the distributor on its way out. change it before it makes you stranded.

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord View Post
        it is the ignitor in the distributor on its way out. change it before it makes you stranded.
        Stole the words right out of my mouth!
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

I cleaned out mine scuffed all contact points and grounds and mine is fine now

My ride:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=143916

Comment

iight ill check that and ill let u kno if that was it

Comment

Originally posted by accordict View Post
              I cleaned out mine scuffed all contact points and grounds and mine is fine now
              wat did u clean out so i can try that too....

Comment

is it the ignighter or dizzy?? or do they both cause this problem ???? mines fine while driveing but at idle it goes nuts!!!

Comment

The rpm gauge needle bouncing whether idle, or cruise and not corrisponding to engine rpm properly, is a classic sign that an igniter is on its way out. Replace it before you get stranded.
                  PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
                    The rpm gauge needle bouncing whether idle, or cruise and not corrisponding to engine rpm properly, is a classic sign that an igniter is on its way out. Replace it before you get stranded.
                    mine used to do it when idling, also when ever i switch the highbeam lights on, but it was not bouncing, it just dropped to 0 rpm and when i reved it reads normal, when i let off it goes back to 0rpms,

that happened a couple of months ago, it never happened again, nothing died. So it could be something else other than the igniter or distributor

might be just the tach going out, or some electrical/wiring of the tach, maybe its just rotten out wires and the metal wires are in contact with something else metal, and causing it to trip.

it wouldn't hurt changing your igniter and distributor, just to be safe, like the others said, don't get stranded.

view my ride: My Ride

Comment

Yeah it sounds like the igniter. That happened to me and I was unfortunate enough to get stranded lol. Except mine just did it once and that was it.

Comment

Is any explanation forthcoming for why the failing igniter causes this tachometer jumping problem to happen?

Comment

That happened to me, turns out it was a faulty alternator.

Comment

Any way to diagnose for sure what it is on our own? I've had this problem since I've owned the car. The igniter's a bit expensive to replace; who knows how good a junkyard CB's is going to be.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Junkyard igniters are cheap as dirt, though. If you get 3 of them, one of them is bound to be functional enough to determine whether or not that's the problem. Then you can trust that one until it fails, or go pay the money for a new one, KNOWING that it's going to be the solution you need.

As for why... I honestly don't know... but many people that have this issue have found that replacing the igniter fixes it. Myself included.

Comment

Working...
                              X