Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Crankshaft pulley....info/help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankshaft pulley....info/help

Well my crankshaft pulley decided 2 separate tonight....just wondering 1st if this has happened 2 anyone?.....2nd anything I need to know about getting this thing off?(dropping motor,tools needed,anything that would help me get it off the car easier/quicker????)got the TQ spec.....please reply only if you have changed 1 on these car b4.

Thanks in adv.
    Having a small cam is like having a small dick every time you go to use it you wish it was bigger.

To get it off, you won't have to pull the motor. You should be able to jack the car up, take the drivers side tire off and the crank pulley should be visible from there.

If you have air tools, it'll help, a TON. Otherwise, a breaker bar and something for leverage, they're on there pretty tight.

Comment

Yeah that happened to me before except I was on the freeway.

As far as removing ot there is a crank pulley tool you can buy from an autopart store,you can use the torch method then impact it off,or impact it off if it 400lbs of torque or more,or you could have your car to a shop and have them do it which is what I did.

I'm pretty sure others will help out too.
      NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
      DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Yep, that bolt can be a bitch. It all depends on the last guy who torqued that bolt on. If it was a professional, you can bet that he did not use a torque wrench. For sure he used his air impact wrench. So, it depends on how much clockwise torque his wrench had.

Did you know that the max torque ratings for impact wrenches is actually the counter clockwise rating ?

Good luck

Comment

Thanks 2 all who have responded......if ya got it keep the info coming will b starting this adventure about lunch time...another Q is will i have 2 drop the motor some to get the puller on the pulley???? looks 2 me as if the damn thing won't come off the car unless it is dropped some because body of car could interfere but don't know.
          Having a small cam is like having a small dick every time you go to use it you wish it was bigger.

Comment

The crankshaft pulley incorporates a harmonic oscillation damper (to stop the crankshaft from eventually being destroyed by uncontrolled high rpm oscillations). These consist of a heavy metal outer ring (usually cast iron because cast iron is heavier than steel) attached to the pulley centre by a vulcanised rubber insert.

This rubber insert allows the two damper components to move with a degree of independence from each other, but at higher rpm this flexing of the rubber insert causes it to heat up, and eventually this heat cycling leads to the rubber breaking down, and the damper failing. Oil doesn't help.

Any signs of degredation of the rubber damper insert (cracking, seperation, softness from oil contamination etc) should prompt you to replace the damper / pulley immediately. Any damper that is revved fairly high more than occasionally, or if the damper is old or of unknown age, should be inspected regularly.
            Regards from Oz,
            John.

Comment

this I know.......thanks tho

Originally posted by johnl View Post
              The crankshaft pulley incorporates a harmonic oscillation damper (to stop the crankshaft from eventually being destroyed by uncontrolled high rpm oscillations). These consist of a heavy metal outer ring (usually cast iron because cast iron is heavier than steel) attached to the pulley centre by a vulcanised rubber insert.

This rubber insert allows the two damper components to move with a degree of independence from each other, but at higher rpm this flexing of the rubber insert causes it to heat up, and eventually this heat cycling leads to the rubber breaking down, and the damper failing. Oil doesn't help.

Any signs of degredation of the rubber damper insert (cracking, seperation, softness from oil contamination etc) should prompt you to replace the damper / pulley immediately. Any damper that is revved fairly high more than occasionally, or if the damper is old or of unknown age, should be inspected regularly.

Comment

Well no luck today try again tomorrow.How do you stop the crank from spinning?

Comment

put nylon rope in one of the cylinders.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                    put nylon rope in one of the cylinders.
                    Thanks 4 the lack of help...ass...u must b 1 of the founding members of half-ass worker association.

Comment

Originally posted by NEXVCTM View Post
                      Thanks 4 the lack of help...ass...u must b 1 of the founding members of half-ass worker association.
                      who the fuck are you.
                      ok first of all, if you knew ANY of what "johnl" said, you wouldn't ask how to take a damn crank pulley off.

and when a respected member of the board gives you advise, dont be a smartass. you asked for help and they are helping.

and to reiterate, if you remove a spark plug, and insert enough nylon rope into that cylinder, it will stop the piston from reaching TDC and going back down, which will stop your motor from turning, thus allowing you to remove the bolt.
                      he wasn't being a dick.

Comment

Originally posted by 92jdm View Post
                        who the fuck are you.
                        ok first of all, if you knew ANY of what "johnl" said, you wouldn't ask how to take a damn crank pulley off.

and when a respected member of the board gives you advise, dont be a smartass. you asked for help and they are helping.

and to reiterate, if you remove a spark plug, and insert enough nylon rope into that cylinder, it will stop the piston from reaching TDC and going back down, which will stop your motor from turning, thus allowing you to remove the bolt.
                        he wasn't being a dick.
                        thank you.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

try NOT to use a torch, we did on an integra and created a lip on a crank shaft... had to dremel it flat... LMAO... fuck...

the damage could have made it so the pulley cannot be removed and may be necessary for a torch

Be Clean

Comment

Originally posted by 92jdm View Post
                            who the fuck are you.

he wasn't being a dick.
                            well you have to take into consideration that not everyone knows much about cars...to some one that doesnt know much about cars that idea would seem ridiculous...

Comment

Originally posted by brand0n327 View Post
                              well you have to take into consideration that not everyone knows much about cars...to some one that doesnt know much about cars that idea would seem ridiculous...
                              Another possible explanation could be , thats the op is a hot head and jumped the gun.
                              WE MISS YOU JO(9-04-2008)

Comment

Working...
                              X