Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Slave engages won't get into gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slave engages won't get into gear.

I go pull out to head to work early tonight and my clutch pedal has about an inch of travel, won't go into gear but the slave engages. This happened to me last night but it was hard to get into gear, but would get into gear none the less. Thinking it was just the clutch line getting hot from 3 hours of driving last night, I let it cool down to the same problem, just not going into gear at all.

If the slave is working, that means the MC is working. Which leaves me with no clutch, throw out bearing, or pilot bearing.

Any ideas?
    Testing your knowledge and your wits.
    Need 10th anniversary wheel center caps. PM if you have them

Can you put it in gear when the car isn't running. It could be a damaged shifter fork.

Comment

Car does go into gear engine off now, wouldn't earlier. Checked the linkage, all straight. Turned car on still real hard to get into gear.

Comment

has it been bled? maybe it can't engage enough

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
        where you been, is something wrong?
        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Yeah I'll be bleeding it tomorrow. I haven't had time. Looks like it never has been bled haha

Comment

sounds like you just have to bleed the system . what you could try to do is pump the carp out of it before try to bleed it to get a lil presure back in the pedal then if it stiffens up try to engage gears .
            CB-K for the win !!!!

Comment

Yeah I tried everything. I just wanted to know about common problems that have been recorded on here. Thanks fellas

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueVan69 View Post
                I go pull out to head to work early tonight and my clutch pedal has about an inch of travel, won't go into gear but the slave engages. This happened to me last night but it was hard to get into gear, but would get into gear none the less. Thinking it was just the clutch line getting hot from 3 hours of driving last night, I let it cool down to the same problem, just not going into gear at all.

If the slave is working, that means the MC is working. Which leaves me with no clutch, throw out bearing, or pilot bearing.

Any ideas?
                As said before, multi pump the clutch pedal to build up pressure, and if that makes a difference all you probably need is a line bleeding at the slave cylinder.

It's possible that your master cylinder is losing its seal and you will need to replace it or rebuild it, in which case after you bleed the lines your clutch pedal function will slowly or rapidly deteriourate again until you replace the master cylinder. Rebuild kits are like $25 and a replacement master cylinder is like $35.

final option is, you have a pinhole leak in your clutch hydraulic line somewhere. Probably not, but possible.

Comment

Alright I was planning on putting dye in to check for a small leak but its very highly unlikely. I'll be bleeding it tomorrow and replacing both brake and clutch master cylinders next weekend along with the slave cylinder.

Comment

Alright I was planning on putting dye in to check for a small leak but its very highly unlikely. I'll be bleeding it tomorrow and replacing both brake and clutch master cylinders next weekend along with the slave cylinder.
                    If you have compressed air it's easy to rebuilt the slave cylinder and only costs like $12.95. Takes about 10 minutes once the slave is off.

use the compressed air to force the piston and gaskets and spring out of the slave cylinder bore so you can replace it with the one in the kit.

Wear eye protection and point it away from you and anyone else, it comes out like a bullet.
                    Last edited by batever; 08-24-2009, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Car does go into gear engine off now, wouldn't earlier. Checked the linkage, all straight. Turned car on still real hard to get into gear.
                      I have this same exzact problem let me know what you did to fix it!

On mine I see the slave cyliner pin moving... so I'm not thinking it's that! I will try bleeding it.

My guess it the Master cylinder or the fork. In order to drive I have to turn it off at a light put it in gear and start it.. it will creep forward with the clutch full pressed in. then I just have to time it right to shift into the next gear.. the clutch pedal dosen't spring back all the way when you let it out.. any guesses?? sorry didnt mean to thread jack! lol

Comment

Originally posted by djtomy View Post
                        I have this same exzact problem let me know what you did to fix it!

On mine I see the slave cyliner pin moving... so I'm not thinking it's that! I will try bleeding it.

My guess it the Master cylinder or the fork. In order to drive I have to turn it off at a light put it in gear and start it.. it will creep forward with the clutch full pressed in. then I just have to time it right to shift into the next gear.. the clutch pedal dosen't spring back all the way when you let it out.. any guesses?? sorry didnt mean to thread jack! lol

it could be either but your right, probably the master. If the slave cyl is gone you will have clutch fluid leaking all over the slave cyl boot etc.

First thing is always to bleed first, that's a good approach. I doubt it is your fork but of course anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
                          it could be either but your right, probably the master. If the slave cyl is gone you will have clutch fluid leaking all over the slave cyl boot etc.

First thing is always to bleed first, that's a good approach. I doubt it is your fork but of course anything is possible.
                          ok thanks.. It dosen't seem like I'm losing any fluid... it's still full. Is there such a thing as a leak but not enough to refill the clutch master?

Comment

Originally posted by djtomy View Post
                            ok thanks.. It dosen't seem like I'm losing any fluid... it's still full. Is there such a thing as a leak but not enough to refill the clutch master?
                            Yes, at least I think so, if you have a small leak. and it's at the top of the hydraulic system. If the master cylinder pushrod is leaking there may be clutch fluid on the pushrod under the clutch pedal.

But again, most important thing is bleed the system and see if it gets you anywhere. If you have no bubbles in the system and it still doesn't shift or improve shifting then you would look beyond the clutch hydraulic system to the release fork (is it still on correctly and is it undamaged?) and possibly beyond. One thing you can do while the car is off (preferably with one of the battery terminals disconnected so the radiator fan cannot come on) is manually press on the release fork with a piece of wood or something and see how far it moves, then compare to the movement when the slave cylinder is operating it. Be careful not to mess up the slave cylinder boot while doing this.
                            Last edited by batever; 08-24-2009, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Ok I tried to bleed it, there were no bubbles that came out, alittle bit of fluid did come out but not alot!~ the pedal still feels like it's lacking alot of pressure. My guess is what you said the clutch master. I will go ahead and replace that is it diffucult? Does it matter what brand to get? also I tried to move the fork with something and couldnt get it to move. maybe I wasnt putting enough force on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X