Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

starting my cb7 after 2 years of it chilling in the garage :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting my cb7 after 2 years of it chilling in the garage :(

Hey guys,

First off can I comment on what an awesome forum this is As the title suggests my car has been sitting in the garage for 2 years. To my memory, the car was fine, just that it was not being driven around (car alarm prolly drained it). I was wondering how I should approach this problem. Should I be checking certain fluid levels or certain problems that may occur because of the cars' inactivity. I'm going to try to jump the battery, although I am pretty certain it will need a new one.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nick

Drain and refill ALL fluids prior to even attemping to start it.

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
      Drain and refill ALL fluids prior to even attemping to start it.
      x2, that includes draining the gastank, and changing the oil & fuel filters, coolant, power steering fluid, tranny fluid, the whole nine yards.

Use the old gas you drained from your car, in your lawnmower, and dispose of the other used fluids at your local automotive store.
      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

along with the brake fluid too, i would probably flush the master cylinder out well too, since brake fluid absorbs moisture fairly quick, you dont want cross contamination

Comment

your battery probably Dead Dead

you might need new battery. Try charging it over night and see if hold any charge.

Comment

I don't feel it's necessary to drain the power steering fluid.

Ideally, I would siphon out the gas and put new gas in, and consider putting a fuel conditioner like a small amount of Lucas in the new gas to help clear out any plaques that have formed in the fuel lines.
            (I started my car on 9 month old gas recently, and all is fine, but 2 years is probably pushing it--supposedly plaques can form from the gas once it gets really old.)

I would change the oil and filter.

I would change the transmission fluid--but it's not necessary to do it right away, just before you start driving the car a lot.

Most importantluy, before starting the car, put some clean motor oil into each cylinder through the spark plug holes. I would also spray some PB Blast if you've got it into each spark plug hole to help lubricate the top of the cylinder since it's been sitting for so long.

Unless you've had the car on stands, your tires will be flat-topped from sitting in the same spot for 2 years so you may want to get some new tires at some point. You'll notice the lack of smoothness/vibration as you drive, particularly at higher speeds.

However, I've been driving my flat-topped tires for 2-3 months and it's fine-not as smooth as it could be but easily bearable. I don't drive it over 70 with these old, nearly worn out, and flat-topped tires.

As to brake fluid, it's time to change it after 2 years but not before you get the thing running. There's time for that. Even if the fluid is old and has absorbed water you will get good enough braking for "civilian" purposes. I'd change the brake fluid once I was sure I was driving the car regularly. You should do it soon because old fluid can corrode the steel brake lines due to the H2O content it has picked up.

that's the same rationale as the power steering fluid. you should do it soon, but it's not imperative at the very start when you're just getting the car running and trying it out again.

good luck
            Last edited by batever; 08-12-2009, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your time and wisdom. I am going to get started on this ASAP. I'll keep people posted with my progress.

Comment

Dont be a pussy, just go start that bitch.
                wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                  My sentiments exactly...

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                    hmmm...that can work, too.

Comment

Before you invest in new tires, rebalancing your wheels will make the flat tops a lot less bumpy.

Comment

The last car I let sit for a long time ended up burning oil like crazy.

Comment

Working...
                        X