Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

black smoke...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black smoke...

hi im new to cb7 tuner, i just had a question...when i put the gas to the floor black smoke pours out and after i do that i smell gas...not blue just black i have heard that black smoke is a fuel problem but im not too sure...ive read up also that it could be the ecu o2. or fuel injectors leakin into the oil..but i would rather ask other people with cb7's....thanks alot

Black smoke means it is running rich.
    More often than not it is caused by a bad o2 sensor due to the age.
    Is the engine check light on?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

yea i know that but its not just a little bit like a usual car would...its a hell of a lot....i can see a ton from like a quater of a mile away thats how bad it is...and no the check engine light isnt on...
      Last edited by brand0n327; 07-21-2009, 12:59 AM.

Comment

well then you're burning really rich.
        峠 で ドリフト を して 下さい。

steam linky facebook, y0 俺 は 走り屋 です。 clickable ^

Comment

alright i was kind of figuring that but didnt know for sure....what could cause my car to run that rich?

Comment

it could b running rich or youre valve stem seals are toast

how many miles are on the engine?
            Last edited by evil_demon_01; 07-21-2009, 09:25 PM.
            AYALA

Comment

oh..ive heard that one too...but wasnt sure there are 296xxx but just started at like 294xxx it is the f22a motor...also if it is the valve stem seals how would i go about changing them and would it be worth it for me to get a new motor...thanks

Comment

uve got high miles but i have over 400k on my 90 accord! iv had it since 150k. its pretty easy if u know how to do it and seals are cheap from honda. dont quote me on this but i think i paid alil over $20 for my seals.i would do it if it were me. but if u have money to get a new engine DOOOOOO IIIIIIT! H22!
                AYALA

Comment

yea i want the h22 real badly but those engines are pretty rare around here....every junk yard i go to there is none there cuz i just want to get one and build it up.......where exactly are the seals located ??? thanks

Comment

Valve stem seals would leak oil which causes blue smoke.
                    Its possible they are leaking though.

Pull out your sparkplugs and have a look at the color of them.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

As said in the first reply... your oxygen sensor may be bad, which would cause you to run rich in most cases. If your Check Engine Light (CEL) is on, that will tell you what is wrong.

For an H22, it's smart to buy an imported engine with lower mileage. US engines often have high mileage, and any H22 that has ended up in a junkyard has either been in an accident, or has been neglected and sent off to be put to sleep. Try www.hmotorsonline.com. There are cheaper places to go, but I wouldn't trust the reliability of the cheap dealers... hmotors is the best. The few problems I've heard about have ALWAYS been resolved quickly and completely.

Comment

yea but the check engine light isnt on...it still could be a bad o2 and not be reading it correctly...but i think somethin is wrong with my ecu cuz it says that all my doors and trunk is open when they arent...if i got a h22 from a junk yard i would completely rebuild it...but im going to check out that site....does your motor have any problems with it....cuz u have alot of miles i know that f22's are really strong....thanks for the reply

Comment

What does your ECU (ENGINE control unit) have to do with the gauge cluster saying your doors are open? Sounds to me like there are some electrical problems.

Does your CEL come on when you start the car? If not, your bulb could be burned out.

Regardless, black smoke is fuel. White is coolant. Blue is oil. Gray is condensation, and perfectly fine.

If you're blowing black for sure, you're running rich. Why is another matter... the o2 sensor is the most likely culprit. It determines if the engine is running rich or lean, and the ECU adjusts accordingly. If it isn't reading correctly, then the ECU won't add the right amount of fuel. If the ECU KNOWS that it's not reading correctly, then it will go into "limp mode" and basically overfuel the engine. Rich is safer than lean... for a short time. Rich can cause some seriously harmful buildup if you let it go too long.

Comment

Comment

the spark plugs are a black color at the end...i just put them in not even a month ago...yea my bumper looks exactly like that and yes my CEL does come on at start up then goes off...well the most possible answer would be the o2 sensor then since im smelling gas after i put the gas to the floor? or maybe the ecu cuz its dumping too much fuel...? thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X