Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Timing belt kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt kit

Does anybody know about Ebay's timing belt kit?

Ebay doesn't make anything. It is just an auction site for people to sell things. Therefore the quality of "ebay" kits can vary substantially.

Honestly, if your timing belt skips or snaps, your motor is very likely going to be totally destroyed. I wouldn't trust anything but Honda for a timing belt, or at least something of equvalent quality. The few extra dollars you'll spend on the quality parts will save you a LOT of money when your motor doesn't blow up!

Comment

Originally posted by sugar View Post
      Does anybody know about Ebay's timing belt kit?
      I don't know about it but I would stick to stock or, if stock is too expensive, an aftermarket kit from someone like TAS automotive. (tasauto.com). consequences for a timing belt failure are severe so don't go with an unknown vendor is what I'd say.

Whichever kit you get, make sure to do a close visual check of the timing belt tensioner pulley that they send as a replacement and see that it is identical to the one that is on your car, as failure of that unit is often the reason for timing belt failures.

Comment

TASauto.com sells an OEM Honda timing belt kit, all authentic Honda parts, for $156.95. They have a kit bearing their own name for $99.95. I'd spend the extra $56, even though I trust TAS.

Comment

I bought this kit and I haven't had any problems. The seller is great as well.
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Timin...Q5fAccessories
          They are not oem Honda parts, but they are supposed to be parts that are made by the oem part manufacturer. They just don't say Honda on them.

The kit comes with everything you could ever need to do a timing belt change. Most people on here will tell you to use oem Honda parts or nothing at all. But I was in a budget crunch and really needed my timing belt changed. This kit worked great. The choice is yours.

Comment

Having a timing belt fail because you couldn't afford quality parts is like having a baby because you couldn't afford condoms. The expense to do it right isn't significantly more, and the potential cost of doing it wrong could be VERY costly.

Comment

you will spend 100+ on a good kit...if you don't you are asking for trouble. T-belt are NOT something you cheap on.

Try tasauto, honda, rockauto, or local stores...not ebay
              ____

Comment

The window regulator I got from Rockauto was garbage... I won't be buying from them again.

The OEM Honda kit is $157. It's NOT that expensive. Do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                  The window regulator I got from Rockauto was garbage... I won't be buying from them again.

The OEM Honda kit is $157. It's NOT that expensive. Do it right.
                  good to know...

Does the honda kit include the pulley/tensioners?

sugar...you want to order NEW springs that go on the tensioners...the old ones will not suffice
                  ____

Comment

Thanks guys, I always use oem parts but they're some kit's on ebay that have everything that I want to replace in my car.But I will go for OEM

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                      good to know...

Does the honda kit include the pulley/tensioners?

sugar...you want to order NEW springs that go on the tensioners...the old ones will not suffice
                      90-93 TIMING BELT PACKAGE
                      Save money by purchasing a timing belt package that uses all Genuine Honda parts. All parts in the kit are genuine Honda components. This package includes the timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump, power steering belt and compressor belt. These are the most common parts replaced when servicing the timing belt. The timing belt should be replaced every 70,000 miles. Fits all 90-93 models.
                      Part #2814405
                      Price:$156.95

Doesn't look like any tensioner parts.

Comment

oooo...well...huh.

does include the water pump...but yeah no pulleys...and no seals either...course those are like $5? ooo...oil pan gasket...vc gasket...spark plug tubes...dizzy. i'm repeating my self my bad

I didn't replace anything but the belts at my 90k (actually 102k) t-belt change For the most part everything lasted until my 2nd (190k) t-belt change, however,

by 200k the water pump was leaking through the weep hole, the oil seals were leaking (cam and crank), and the pulleys were not good anymore...they weren't shot, and might could have gone another 30k with no issues...but you could REALLY tell a difference between the new ones which is why I'm not so sure they could have gone much longer.

When I did that I was 17 and didn't know shit...thought saving money was a good idea...I'm lucky it didn't bite me in the ass.
                        Last edited by bcjammerx; 07-19-2009, 11:11 AM.
                        ____

Comment

The TAS Auto kit doesn't include the tensioners. When I added all the extra parts that the eBay kit includes, the TAS Auto kit runs around $320 for everything.

Versus the eBay kit for $173 w/ free shipping.

Is OEM really worth an extra $150? I gotta admit I'm a bit skeptical, there's so many of these auto parts that are rebadged - does anybody have any proof that they're worse, or is this just one of those "Peace of Mind" things?

And by the way, is there anything else that people would recommend replacing while doing a timing belt change? I'm set to do one at 200k, and want to change as many things as I can.

Comment

Found the answer to my question!! Sounds like, at least with the tensioner, there's definitely a reason to go OEM... yikes:

http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost.php...1&postcount=10

Comment

JIS is a good company on ebay to get belt kit. i got water pump kit from them for 161 and it was complete with all seals belts o-rings and water pump. and they good quality. just dont ever get a cyl head from them. you order an A1 head with cam assem and get an A6 head and cam assem LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X