Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

RUnning on 1 cylinder (#4). WTF?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RUnning on 1 cylinder (#4). WTF?!

Okay guys. I've been through every CEL. There are no more CEL's in the computer. I've changed the distributer. Changed the coil on an ALREADY new distributer. New plugs, wires, new oil change.

There are no more codes in the computer. but it still BARELY runs now. It all started two days ago. It dropped one cylinder... then got worse and worse... Now it's only running on one cylinder.

I pulled the plug wire on #1 while it was running and NO CHANGE. Pulled #2, no change. Pulled #3, no change. Pulled #4, car DIES. So it's only running on cylinder #4.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the fuel pump? Since the fuel comes in right over the #4 injector, I am assuming it's the only one getting enough fuel to fire?

Any ideas at all? This sucks. I've only had the car 4 days. Ran perfectly the first day.

Have you pulled the plugs? Have you checked to see if you are getting spark? The next thing if you do have spark is to check to see if you have fuel, could have injectors not firing due to back connections or some other reason. Check those things first then post back.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
    "The Turtle"
    DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
      Have you pulled the plugs? Have you checked to see if you are getting spark? The next thing if you do have spark is to check to see if you have fuel, could have injectors not firing due to back connections or some other reason. Check those things first then post back.
      Plugs are brand new. Showing no reading yet because it wont run on those cylinders.

I am getting spark to all cylinders (all-be-it ORANGE spark, not blue). I have not checked for fuel. I can hear the pump prime when the key is turned to the on position. How do I check for fuel at the injectors?

Also, compression test just showed
      #1 140
      #2 150
      #3 100
      #4 150

#3 is definetly low. But that shouldnt be causing it to miss on #1, 2, and 3.

Comment

They all are low, they should be 165ish, none should vary more the 5-10 psi from the median either. She would def run ruff with those numbers. Those numbers are low enough to just go ahead and pull the engine and do a rebuild on it. Well thats what I would do. To check for fuel at the injectors you can just crack open the bolt on the left side of the fuel rail. Be careful though might get sprayed if you do have fuel pressure. Make sure to have rags around too. Do this with the key on and if she sprays a little tighten it back down. If not the something is wrong the pump or something else. (dont critisze my way of checking for fuel pressure, btw do that at your own risk)

"The Turtle"
        DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Cracked open the fuel line right at the rail and turned the key... it's definetly got fuel. It came rolling out pretty good.

I guess now I should check each injector plug to see if it gets a signal? How do I do that?

Comment

Yeah, not sure exactly how to but just pull the clip and take a multi meter to it basically. You'll need a diagram to see which to put what lead to.

"The Turtle"
            DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

also check injector resistor box. thats an easy one.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                also check injector resistor box. thats an easy one.
                Injector resistor box tested at 25-26 ohms resistance all the way across. MUCH higher than the 5-7. Anyone else think that's my problem?

If so, why is #4 firing and all the rest arent?

Comment

Originally posted by DangerWRobinson View Post
                  Injector resistor box tested at 25-26 ohms resistance all the way across. MUCH higher than the 5-7. Anyone else think that's my problem?

If so, why is #4 firing and all the rest arent?
                  have you checked the injector resistance as well? i think we are low impedence.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                    have you checked the injector resistance as well? i think we are low impedence.
                    I changed the fuel rail, injectors, and FPR all at the same time since i was already there. This time the car fired RIGHT UP. It would rev clean all the way to redline and everything was better.

I drove it around the block and have found a minor issue: The car will not respond to input of the throttle sometimes. I will hit the accell and it just hangs, then all the sudden catches and accells again.

Any ideas on that? Tomorrow I'm going to change the fuel filter, throttle body gasket (mine cracked), re-install the injector clips, and re-isntall the timing cover.

Comment

Delayed throttle input could be a number of things. TPS possibly, a fuel system problem (which is possible, since that was already an issue... perhaps there's something else that needs to be changed), or even a bad oxygen sensor (I have a similar problem, and I'm thinking it's the o2 sensor... and having fuel problems is a great way to foul the sensor!)

Comment

Working...
                      X