Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Alcohol added to gas???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the problem some of us have with lower octane fuel, is that is becoming stale, the majority of cars on the road today require premium. Great example here in texas, when hurricane ike struck, and it was the aftermath, all the premium & plus was sold out of almost every gas station around, but there was an abundance of regular, and I could fill my car up anywhere, even though it does seem to like a higher octane fuel then 87. Everyone else was driving around to find 89/92.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Octane Booster recipe

(1 gal) of xylene or toulene ... mix in 4 oz of marvel mystery oil for every
      1 gal of xylene/toulene ... make sure the xylene/toulene mixture in your tank is no more than 20-25%

Ahem..

Also, theres word that adding some acetone (ie: 2oz to 10gals) gasoline will double fuel mileage

Comment

no, but it keeps it from getting a fuel system infection.

Comment

Ok so I know not to put alcohol in it now and want be doing it again.
          Same goes for E85.

But whats this about Pure Acetone?
          Does it really help your car that much or is it like the alcohol "just a bunch of BS"?
          I'm going to look into it but I was woundering if anyone has tried it?
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...53&postcount=4

Comment

Originally posted by Honda Power View Post
            Ok so I know not to put alcohol in it now and want be doing it again.
            Same goes for E85.

But whats this about Pure Acetone?
            Does it really help your car that much or is it like the alcohol "just a bunch of BS"?
            I'm going to look into it but I was woundering if anyone has tried it?
            It's the same as alcohol. Psychological. There was a very active thread on this a few months ago, and then it wouldn't go away for a week or two. If you search for 'acetone' here you can probably save a lot of time googling.
            1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

you don't get more mileage out of higher octane rating...more then likely you ran higher octane during the summer and compared it to low octane during the winter...

During the hotter temps your car runs leaner as a result of less dense air and faster warm up times...I run 87 octane all the time...I get higher mileage (440 miles per tank summer vs 375 miles per tank winter). Upping the octane will do ZERO in our f22ax's

Prove it or stop saying it.
              ____

Comment

Originally posted by Honda Power View Post
                It keeps temps lower, burns cleaner leaving lease carbon build up, and it lowers compression.
                A fuel cannot lower compression

Originally posted by Gotz Cb7 View Post
                93 burns better. I get an extra 30-40 to the tank with 91/92/93, than I do with 87. No performance gains whatsoever though. I just run 91/92/93 here and there to clean the system out a tad.
                Increased fuel mileage by changing octane is a myth. Especially in our cars. Our vehicles do not have fuel sensors that can differentiate between different octane fuels. That Being said. regardless of 87 or 93 octane your injector is still only going to be opening the same amount with all fuels. Thats how are simple OBD 1 cars work. You probably got better mileage because you were on the highway the whole time and compared it to city driving.

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post

Alcohol also destroys parts in the fuel system that are not meant to take it.

Don't put e85 in your CB7. Cars that are meant for e85 have special fuel components and have there computers programed to properly run e85.
                E85 will eventually hurt a motor if not tuned for it. but as i have stated before will not hurt your fuel system.

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                you don't get more mileage out of higher octane rating...more then likely you ran higher octane during the summer and compared it to low octane during the winter...

During the hotter temps your car runs leaner as a result of less dense air and faster warm up times...I run 87 octane all the time...I get higher mileage (440 miles per tank summer vs 375 miles per tank winter). Upping the octane will do ZERO in our f22ax's

AGREED!!!

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                member ride thread
                11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Now what about us H series guys and boosted guys? And the seafoam thing works really well cleans out your car really well. I did it on my prelude and she ran alot better....
                  The CB7 Collector.
                  Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                  92 LX Coupe F22A1
                  2013 Toyota Corolla S
                  92 EX Sedan F22A1
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by cloudasc

Alcohol also destroys parts in the fuel system that are not meant to take it.

Don't put e85 in your CB7. Cars that are meant for e85 have special fuel components and have there computers programed to properly run e85.
                    Why am I being quoted for something I didn't write?

Your quoting EJX_Michael.
                    Last edited by cloudasc; 07-04-2009, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmoreX View Post
                      Now what about us H series guys and boosted guys? And the seafoam thing works really well cleans out your car really well. I did it on my prelude and she ran alot better....
                      h22 is not an f22ax, h22's require higher octane fuel. Same with boost...higher octane

seafoam is a cleaner, and is fully combustible, unlike store bought alcohol.

But the gains are not from running the burnable seafoam...it is from the opening of the intake passageways via cleaning crude, better response as a result of the TB being cleaned up, maybe a better spray from the injectors being cleaned, reduction of carbon buildup on valves, and better flowing oil passageways.

I doubt your mileage or performance suddenly dropped when you refilled your gas tank.
                      ...apples and oranges those two engines though.
                      Last edited by bcjammerx; 07-04-2009, 02:22 AM.
                      ____

Comment

why u should use a higher octaine

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
                        This makes me want to Why are you running 93, 87 is just fine for our cars. Unless it's an H22 or anything with 10.5:1 compresssion or higher. If you add anything make it an octane booster, fuel stalbilizer, or fuel refiner stuff(made by stp). Also when you mean you changed your timing, what too?
                        the higher the octaine the better the output cheapest way to increase horse power but u must drain ur tank of 87 oct. gains about 4 to 5 hp and its better for ur car

Comment

Originally posted by pablo1990 View Post
                          the higher the octaine the better the output cheapest way to increase horse power but u must drain ur tank of 87 oct. gains about 4 to 5 hp and its better for ur car
                          This is an extremely common misconception, but it just isnt true. The oil companies would like you to think it is though...

The only time a higher octane fuel will increase power (other than there being a specific problem with the lower octane comparison fuel, e.g. stale etc) will be when the engine actually needs the higher octane, i.e with higher compression or with higher boost (the fuel can't tell the difference between high compression and high boost).

If you run a modern engine that is designed for higher octane fuel on a lower octane fuel then the engine will 'knock', and the 'knock sensor' (if fitted) will detect the 'knock' and the ECU will retard the ignition to reduce the severity of the 'knocking'.

Retarding the ignition timing will result in an instantaneous power loss and worse fuel economy, but when you refill with high octane fuel the 'knock' will cease, the 'knock sensor' will detect this and the ECU will advance the timing.

Result, magic power increase with 'better' high octane fuel, leading to the utter myth that higher octane fuel per se gives superior performance and economy than lower octane fuel...
                          Regards from Oz,
                          John.

Comment

Originally posted by pablo1990 View Post
                            please read all the posts before you post...you're 100% wrong....and we already discounted your statement...several times...before you made it.
                            ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post

Another interesting thing about summer vs winter fuel is that oil companies mix in more ethanol during the winter months, which lowers your mileage. In the summer, less ethanol, which increases mileage.

They do this because of emissions. Even though E85 will hurt our cars, very light blends of regular gas and ethanol (around 10%) will run fine.
                              1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Heres another funny thing, and i've noticed myself. Its better to fill up your gas tank at the coldest time of the day/night possible, there appears to be a higher energy content in the gas when its colder, and less amounts of energy during the hottest time of the day.

I don't per say believe they increase the ethenol content in the winter, the ethenol content is static, the oil industries save money buy mixing in ethenol, so one would think they would mix as much ethenol as permitted all times of the year.

A couple factors for lower mileage during winter. Your car takes longer to warm up, oils take longer to reach optimal temperature, and the oils in your engine/transmission don't lubricate as well while cold. Also with the cold denser air entering the engine, the ecu will dump more fuel to compensate.

Comment

Working...
                                X